Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grammar Cops: Mispronunciation Peeves

elkabong82

YES! IT SHOULD BE! I have bosses that use this and it drives me absolutely crazy. I immediately look at them like they are stupid when they say it. I don't know where it even came from.

it comes from bosses trying to sound smart, but not quite able to remember the word "irrespective".

my pet peeve (and i mention it because we seem to have branched out beyond pronunciation) is that nobody seems to know the difference between "fewer" and "less". everyone, even professional speakers and comentators, are constantly referring to "scoring less points" or "hiring less people". i mutter "FEWER!" at my radio probably 4 times every day on my way home from work.

What's the consensus "correct pronunciation" for salmon and jaguar?

yeah, sammun and jagwhar

I know people who pronounced the L in "almond"....it's AHmond!!

---------- Post added November-9th-2011 at 06:56 PM ----------

Forte: Is "Fort", not "For-tay." (English has two words spelled this way. One comes from Italian and the other from French. The Italian word, a musical term meaning “loud,” is pronounced with two syllables: /FOR-TAY/. The French word, an adjective meaning “strength” or “strong point,” is pronounced with one syllable: /FORT/.)

I know this is right, but the percentage of people that know it is correct is very small. SO, even though I know "Fort" is the correct way to pronounce it, I will still say "for-tay" because no one else will know what I'm talking about (I assume) and they will think I am the stupid one

I want somebody to explain "grand prix." It cannot be pronounced "grand pree," and here's why: You're mixing English and French If you pronounce the second word, "pree" you should pronounce the first word, "graw" (my approximation of the real French) Also if you pronounce the first word "grand" you should follow it by pronouncing "pricks." Grand Pricks

Archived