Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grammar Cops: Mispronunciation Peeves

elkabong82

In honor of the pronunciation threads, I wanted to share a list of common mispronunciations and misspellings which I find annoying. Everyone of course is invited to share their opinions. As a former VA resident now in TN, and a long time member on this board, these are some glaring examples:

1) People saying "don't" when they should say "doesn't" - I hear this every day down here, bugs the heck out of me

2) People on ES who type "of" when it's "have" - It's "should've" not "should of"

3) Done did- I can tolerate "fixin' to" but "I already done did that" is annoying

4) All of the sudden- It's "a sudden"

5) using "a" when "an" applies

6) the obvious misuse of they're, their, there, especially when someone uses it while questioning the intelligence of another

7) When people use uncommon pronunciations solely to differentiate themselves- like saying toe-mah-toe

8) "nuke-u-lar"

9) Forgetting the first R in February

10) putting an R in wash

there's more, please share

"Should of" or "Would of" or "Could of" ranks really high up there for me. Maybe at the top actually.

I understand when people pronounce it that way when speaking quickly and casually. But to spell it that way? Really? I see it all the time on message boards and on Facebook, and it blows my mind.

How can somebody type that out and think that it looks correct?

(Not a mispronunciation...but I need to rant)

:rant: I absolutely can not stand when someone says, "Like all get out" or " 'all get out". I didn't hear this until I moved to Richmond.

"It's snowing like all get-out up here!"

:wtf: Where did this come from?

Lewis+Black.jpg

:rant: I absolutely can not stand when someone says, "Like all get out" or " 'all get out". I didn't hear this until I moved to Richmond.

Think that's a huge southern term. I grew up with my mom saying that same statement, without the snow part of course, for most of my life.

None of these bother me nearly as much as totally getting a word wrong. I see this all the time on ES but I keep my mouth shut. Now, when I was a newbie I tried correcting such things, but I soon realized it was pointless and not appreciated.

Some of the errors of which I speak probably relate to use of smart phones. I know my Droid X has swype, and I love it until I post something on Facebook that is total gibberish because I was in a hurry and swype misinterpreted what I swyped. However, there are definitely those where someone thinks they're using a word correctly but they're not even close. Occasionally these are just phonetic misspellings, but more often they're vocabulary flubs.

Whatever, man - I could of corrected them when I seen em but I was fixin to type like all get out at the time and completely forgone what I was thinking.

The word "ain't." This is the biggest pet peeve of mine because it is not a real word. It is not a word that is taught in school, or at least not when I went.

I used to feel that way about "ain't" but have softened my stance. What is the definition of a "real word"? Ain't is in the dictionary. It is commonly used. You may not like it because, as the dictionary puts it, it is "widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated," but it's a real word.

There are lots of words that aren't taught in schools. I didn't learn the word "singultus" in school but it's a real word nonetheless.

"Reesie Peesies"

Reese's Pieces. REESE'S ****ING PIECES. They are not, and have never been called Reesie Peesies. Pronouncing it that way is not cute or folksy, and it makes me want to stab you. Learn how to say it or don't ****ing eat them.

"Crowns"

They are called "Crayons" idiot. When you call them "crowns", you are essentially telling the person you're talking to that your IQ is a lower number than your age.

"Might could" .

As in: "John Beck stinks. I might could be a better quarterback than him."

Yes, you almost surely could be, but at least he has a better grasp of the English language than you.

Mike Krzyzewski.

Either change your ****ing name or learn the pronunciation of the letters "k", "r", "z", and "w". Your name is giving a middle finger to the English language. **** you.

Brett Favre, Laveranues Coles, and Dwyane Wade can also kiss my ass.

I feel better now.

"Reesie Peesies"

Reese's Pieces. REESE'S ****ING PIECES. They have not, and have never been called Reesie Peesies. Pronouncing it that way is not cute or folksy, and it makes me want to stab you. Learn how to say it or don't ****ing eat them.

"Crowns"

They are called "Crayons" idiot. When you call them "crowns", you are essentially telling the person you're talking to that your IQ is a lower number than your age.

"Might could" .

Yes, you almost surely could be, but at least he has a better grasp of the English language than you.

Mike Krzyzewski.

Either change your ****ing name or learn the pronunciation of the letters "k", "r", "z", and "w". Your name is giving a middle finger to the English language. **** you.

I feel better now.

lmao! Agreed, especially with crown instead of cray-on

Similar to the "they're," "their" and "there" mix-ups, there is also the mix-ups between "by," "buy" and "bye."

Although just a misspelling and not a pronunciation error, the one I see on this site that drives me nuts is "definitely." I frequently see it spelled with an "a" as in "definately." And not just by nimrods either, by people who are otherwise quite intelligent and well spoken. It just bugs me. There's no "a" in the word.

After having typed that, it reminded me of other homophones that people on ES seem to have a problem with: "site," "cite" and "sight."

Similar to the "they're," "their" and "there" mix-ups, there is also the mix-ups between "by," "buy" and "bye."

Although just a misspelling and not a pronunciation error, the one I see on this site that drives me nuts is "definitely." I frequently see it spelled with an "a" as in "definately." And not just by nimrods either, by people who are otherwise quite intelligent and well spoken. It just bugs me. There's no "a" in the word.

After having typed that, it reminded me of other homophones that people on ES seem to have a problem with: "site," "cite" and "sight."

Where, were and we're are always good for a laugh too.

Lewis+Black.jpg

Ha! That reminds me of one I hate "From the git go" Ugh!

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 07:39 PM ----------

Ex-cape instead of escape is another!

Birfday instead of birthday.

And one that my mother says that drives me crazy - "window-shield" instead of windshield. Mom, it's shielding the wind, not the window. But it's mom, so I give her a break.:ols:

"Reesie Peesies"

Reese's Pieces. REESE'S ****ING PIECES. They have not, and have never been called Reesie Peesies. Pronouncing it that way is not cute or folksy, and it makes me want to stab you. Learn how to say it or don't ****ing eat them.

"Crowns"

"Might could" .

Oh yeah, I don't like when people say "your" instead of "you're"

Mike Krzyzewski.

I feel better now.

You already had me laughing with the first three, after the fourth one, I was in tears. :ols:

Not a mispronunciation, but it still annoys me. "Myself," instead of "me."

"That was a very big game for myself."

Also "prolly."

"I'll prolly go to the game tonight." It's just lazy.

But the worst are people who pronounce "douchebags" as "Cowboys." :D

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 03:45 PM ----------

Great call! "Lose" and "loose" also piss me off around here.

"Man, I hope the Skins don't loose again this week. They just need to play lose, and not loose their focus."

"Loose" - lose (An ES epidemic)

"Fava" - father

"Brung" - brought

* This is an extra, but I'm sure everyone here knows about the Pokemon craze of the late 90's, and I'm sure that anyone who is around my age can attest to this....

"Poke-ee-man" - Pokemon

This.****.Drove.Me.Insane. Teachers who didn't like kids bringing them into their classroom would normally say something like, "Give me those Poke-ee-man cards! You know you're not supposed to bring them in here!"

The most disturbing part is that there isn't an ee or an an anywhere to be found in that word, and that sure as hell isn't how it's pronounced.

Archived