Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After our division rivals, I really HATE the 49ers

SkinsHokieFan

If the redskins never existed, 49ers would be my favorite team. I grew up as a 90s kid watching Young, Rice, Ricky running Watters, Jones. Fun memories from my youth.

When we weren't playing them, I actually liked the 49ers as a kid. They were a great team and they also hated the Cowboys. I kind of viewed them as allies for a while. Also, my dad hung out with Jerry Rice one time back in 89 and told me how much of a class act he was.

I saw them as allies too. Cool stuff about your dad. Jerry Rice is my favorite WRs of all time.

Good thread.... I bet the emotions here are pretty generational. If you were around for Gibbs I then the 49ers probably are one of your least favorite teams. If you came along post Gibbs I, then you probably don't care much either way. I am the former, and much like the OP, I still have a distaste for the Niners.

The 1990 game didn't crush me.... That was about as far as I thought we could go that season. Playoff losses always suck, but I was confident we'd be back strong in 1991. It was Michael Carter by the way that returned the final INT for a TD to seal it.

Now, the 1992 playoff game? THAT was painful. SF had control of the game, but they were having trouble scoring and putting us away. We got hot in third quarter and shifted momentum. I'm telling you, they didn't know how to stop us on what would have been the go ahead drive... Clark was killing them and we had them very off balance with Mitchell. Then, the botched hand off and in an instant it was gone.

And without any melodrama, that play signalled the official end to our glory years and we've been chasing them down ever since with no success.

The one time I thought we might be back? Yep, the 1996 game with the Niners.... 15 years later I can still see that ball on the ground. How did we not recover it?

One historical fact many forget involving the two teams was a meeting that DIDN'T happen. In 1987, SF was the best team in the league. They would win the SB in 1988 and 1989 and be a field goal away from going again in 1990. But that 1987 team was just as good.

On the same weekend we beat the Bears (the Darrell Green punt return game) to clinch a trip to the NFC Championship, the 49ers played the Vikings in SF as heavy, heavy favorites. But Anthony Carter had the game of his life and the Minn won the game. Instead of Redskins at 49ers it was Vikings at Redskins. I would not have liked out chances in SF.

I've always thought Anthony Carter deserved a SB ring from us :)

See, I view the 49ers, Cowboys and Steelers as an axis of evil that must be destroyed :)

49ers evil? nah. Back in the 80's ( and today) I always viewed the 49ers as a classy organization with a respected coach in Bill Walsh...they were on par with the Redskins and Gibbs. Back then I broke it down like this in my 10 year old brain:

Good: 49ers, Oilers, Redskins. Evil: Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers

Btw, 49er, Redskins, and Steeler gumball helmets were coveted & traded like illegal drugs back in the early 80's. :)

thumb_881_NFL_V1_SanFrancisco49ers.jpgthumb_879_NFL_V1_PittsburghSteelers.jpgthumb_885_NFL_V1_WashingtonRedskins.jpg

And without any melodrama, that play signalled the official end to our glory years and we've been chasing them down ever since with no success.

Very well put. I didn't realize it at the time watching the last couple minutes alone in my bedroom (it was the first time I was superstitious as a fan...I went from watching with my family downstairs to watching alone for the second half...it almost worked!), but that was the final moments of what I'll always remember as The Redskins.

---------- Post added November-4th-2011 at 08:59 AM ----------

Btw, 49er, Redskins, and Steeler gumball helmets were coveted & traded like illegal drugs back in the early 80's. :)

The worst thing about those was when you'd finally get a Redskin one and then mess up apply the decals. I would be SO nervous.

How many times the TV broadcast showed Snyder. I remember a game we played against Indy right before that and they showed him a lot too. Granted, you'll see shots of the more well-known owners (Kraft, Jones, Lurie) from time-to-time when their teams are on, but with Snyder in his first year, it often seemed like an obsession.

I believe Snyder has asked the networks not to show him anymore. I haven't heard or read about this anywhere, but I've noticed we haven't seen him in years unlike all of the other owners. Snyder is notoriously media shy.

It's usually at the primetime night games where they show the owners in their boxes. At sunny day games its hard for cameras to focus into the darkness of the suites, which are usually located on the shady side of the stadiums along with the game cameras.

I don't think the Redskins are going to win this game, but as a fan I really want this game on Sunday. I loathe the 49ers and everything about them and have loathed them since I was little.

Lets flash back to 1990. In September of that season our Redskins visited Candlestick Park only to be beaten rudely 26-13. For an 8 year old finally starting to understand football, this was devestating.

Now lets jump 4 months later, January 1991. The Redskins are again at Candlestick Park, after a huge win in the 1st round at the Vet. The defending 2 time Superbowl champions who are seeking to be the first to three peat. 3 times, count it three freakin times in the 2nd half the Redskins have the ball in the redzone but fail to get TDs thanks to Mark Rypien doing a pre Rex Grossman.

I'll never forget the last score the 49ers got, an awful sack/INT/pick 6 by Rypien to give the final score of 28-10. Our Superbowl run would have to wait another year

Lets flash forward to January's later, January 1993. The defending Superbowl Champion Redskins are playing like champions, injured, a bit old, but driving for the winning score. Nobody forgets a hole that is a mile wide inside the 49ers 30. All Ryp has to do is get a clean handoff to Brian Mitchell and the Redskins win.

The handoff is botched. Fumble. 49ers recover, 49ers win.

The 1994 season was very painful. The Redskins were in the first of many rebuilding jobs over the next 20 years. Mid way through the season the 49ers came to RFK and whipped, absolutley whipped a bad Redskins team 37-22. The game wasn't nearly as close as the score showed, as the Redskins got 2 late TDs in the 4th quarter.

What sucked about 1994 was there was a kid in our carpool who was a huge 49ers fan. I had to hear every week about how much the Redskins sucked and how bad the Redskins are.

2 years later though in November of 1996 the Redskins could make everything right from the past 5 years. The Redskins were 8-3, coming off a 7-1 start and then a big win in Philly the week before. The 49ers in 1996 were struggling, it was a 1 pm game, Young had been getting knocked around all season. In the 4th quarter of a very close game, Gus Frerrote hits Jamie Asher who rumbles into the endzone. My dad was the first guy in section 506 of RFK to get up and cheer when Asher caught the ball because he knew it was a TD.

RFK erupts. Skins are up 16-9 with under 7 minutes left in the 4th.

The ensuing kickoff. The 49ers return man gets up to the 20 yard line and gets NAILED. Boom, the ball is loose. Scramble for the ball. The Redskins are all indicating Redskins ball. RFK is shaking like it hasn't since the 1991 NFC Title game vs Detroit. But somehow the 49ers come out with the football.

This can't be fair. Clearly it was recoverd by the Redskins.

Steve Young methodically drives on Ron Lynn's defense. Boom touchdown. Boom tie game.

Overtime. Another Steve Young methodical drive. FG. Redskins lose 19-16 and the 1996 season begins to crumble as the now 8-4 Redskins will lose in Dallas 4 days later on Thanksgiving.

2 years later though things will change. We just snagged their best defensive lineman Dana Stubblefield, coming off 15 sacks the year before. Monday Night Home opener.

This one wasn't even close. 45-10. The 49ers just came in and destroyed the Redskins.

All of those losses made the 1999 win so much sweeter.

The Redskins came into the game with a chance to get to the playoffs for the first time in 7 years and clinch the division title. The 49ers are without Steve Young and are TERRIBLE in 1999.

Sunday Night football at the Stick. This should be easy, right?

Well it wasn't. In an almost Norvitis game, the 49ers lead most of the way. Late in the 4th the Redskins tie it.

Overtime. The Redskins have the ball, driving. Brad Johnson drops back, floats a pass in the flat to Larry Centers, and Larry sees nobody ahead. Just grass and the endzone.

Touchdown Washington Redskins. 26-20 in OT

NFC East Champions.

We have a history with these guys and I hate them. Yea I hope we have a high draft pick, but I really want this game.

I want to beat Harbaugh's smug ass face, prove to the country these guys are frauds and for one week not feel like we are the worst team in the NFL.

And I really want to beat these guys. The Redskins should have been the team of the 80s, not the 49ers. No team should be blessed with Montana and Young back to back. I have loved the fact they have missed the playoffs the last 10 years.

I want this one bad[/quote

I understand your pain but I don't want this game for all the loses that happened to those times they beat us. Poor coaching and execution is the reason why those teams lost. But I want this game for the eaxct same reason you want it. I want to feel good one Monday morning and not feel like I am rooting for the worst team in football. I have seen the good and I have seen a lot of the bad and one thing is consistent. The Redskins are their own worst enemy. Until they eliminate the mistakes like false starts, holding, late hits, blocks in the back, off sides, fumbles, INT's, and every other mistake that can be made in a football game they will continue to lose games they should win. Even the bad teams of the past have beaten the Redskins because we made more mistakes then they did. Can you or anyone else tell me why I should be mad at any team for taken advantage of those things that reoccur over the many years of football regardless of who owned, coached or played for this team? So if you don't think that the Redskins aren't their own worst enemy then you are blind and don't watch the same games I do. Correct them or limit them from happening and this team will be the successful team that Joe Gibbs coached the first time around.

If the redskins never existed, 49ers would be my favorite team. I grew up as a 90s kid watching Young, Rice, Ricky running Watters, Jones. Fun memories from my youth.

I saw them as allies too. Cool stuff about your dad. Jerry Rice is my favorite WRs of all time.

Yeah, my dad had a crazy two week business trip to San Fran in 89. He was there during the earthquake and everything. Talk about a story, hanging out with Jerry Rice one night and being in the hotel during a strong earthquake on another lol.

Do we have a glimmer of hope? maybe, but in all fairness the redskins have like may say are there own worst enemy. My fan hood started threw the 80's remembering the glory years of when the Redskins were a force to reckon with. I always told my brother that we were a second half team and that Coach Gibbs will figure out how to come back and beat who ever we played and you know what it happened more often that not. Dislike, I dislike any team that plays against the skins, weather it the Cowturds or non conference team it's just that simple with me. We can all be coaches from afar and predicate how this team should execute each and every Sunday but it seems that just isn't the case. The 49ers know that we plan on stopping the run, not as ease as it seems for us because there going to game plan for that also. The defense was playing at a high level at the beginning of the season what happened? Could it be that they just gave up on this lousy offense, maybe or maybe not. I'll be there like may of you this Sunday in front of my 51" plasma cheering on my Redskins to stomp the **** out of the 49ers. Hopefully my friends this will be the week that we all can hold our heads up high and enjoy our work week. HTTR

49ers evil? nah. Back in the 80's ( and today) I always viewed the 49ers as a classy organization with a respected coach in Bill Walsh...they were on par with the Redskins and Gibbs. Back then I broke it down like this in my 10 year old brain:

Good: 49ers, Oilers, Redskins. Evil: Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers

thumb_881_NFL_V1_SanFrancisco49ers.jpgthumb_879_NFL_V1_PittsburghSteelers.jpgthumb_885_NFL_V1_WashingtonRedskins.jpg

I never thought they were "classy"...they were and still are totally arrogant and whiny team that got way too many of their wins playing in an absolute disgrace of a division for over a decade. Bill Walsh was one of the most arrogant and obnoxious people I have ever heard talk....and a liar to boot. Ask Joe Gibbs about that.....

I have a good dis-liking for Seattle. They got kicked outta the AFC West because they sucked, swallowed and kissed, and not to mention they somehow lucked out and beat us in the playoffs, which really pissed me off.

I'm starting to gain a very strong dis-liking for the Falcons as well; god, if I hear them say "Matty Ice" one more time I'm gonna drive off a cliff screaming! [ well, no cliffs on the sandbar I live on]. An overall hollow team, always praised and put on a pedestal as being the next team of the decade, only to find they pull a Linda Lovelace and get bent over.

Skins and Shanny needs to hurry up, get the team back on top, where they belong...

Archived