Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After our division rivals, I really HATE the 49ers

SkinsHokieFan

I don't think the Redskins are going to win this game, but as a fan I really want this game on Sunday. I loathe the 49ers and everything about them and have loathed them since I was little.

Lets flash back to 1990. In September of that season our Redskins visited Candlestick Park only to be beaten rudely 26-13. For an 8 year old finally starting to understand football, this was devestating.

Now lets jump 4 months later, January 1991. The Redskins are again at Candlestick Park, after a huge win in the 1st round at the Vet. The defending 2 time Superbowl champions who are seeking to be the first to three peat. 3 times, count it three freakin times in the 2nd half the Redskins have the ball in the redzone but fail to get TDs thanks to Mark Rypien doing a pre Rex Grossman.

I'll never forget the last score the 49ers got, an awful sack/INT/pick 6 by Rypien to give the final score of 28-10. Our Superbowl run would have to wait another year

Lets flash forward to January's later, January 1993. The defending Superbowl Champion Redskins are playing like champions, injured, a bit old, but driving for the winning score. Nobody forgets a hole that is a mile wide inside the 49ers 30. All Ryp has to do is get a clean handoff to Brian Mitchell and the Redskins win.

The handoff is botched. Fumble. 49ers recover, 49ers win.

The 1994 season was very painful. The Redskins were in the first of many rebuilding jobs over the next 20 years. Mid way through the season the 49ers came to RFK and whipped, absolutley whipped a bad Redskins team 37-22. The game wasn't nearly as close as the score showed, as the Redskins got 2 late TDs in the 4th quarter.

What sucked about 1994 was there was a kid in our carpool who was a huge 49ers fan. I had to hear every week about how much the Redskins sucked and how bad the Redskins are.

2 years later though in November of 1996 the Redskins could make everything right from the past 5 years. The Redskins were 8-3, coming off a 7-1 start and then a big win in Philly the week before. The 49ers in 1996 were struggling, it was a 1 pm game, Young had been getting knocked around all season. In the 4th quarter of a very close game, Gus Frerrote hits Jamie Asher who rumbles into the endzone. My dad was the first guy in section 506 of RFK to get up and cheer when Asher caught the ball because he knew it was a TD.

RFK erupts. Skins are up 16-9 with under 7 minutes left in the 4th.

The ensuing kickoff. The 49ers return man gets up to the 20 yard line and gets NAILED. Boom, the ball is loose. Scramble for the ball. The Redskins are all indicating Redskins ball. RFK is shaking like it hasn't since the 1991 NFC Title game vs Detroit. But somehow the 49ers come out with the football.

This can't be fair. Clearly it was recoverd by the Redskins.

Steve Young methodically drives on Ron Lynn's defense. Boom touchdown. Boom tie game.

Overtime. Another Steve Young methodical drive. FG. Redskins lose 19-16 and the 1996 season begins to crumble as the now 8-4 Redskins will lose in Dallas 4 days later on Thanksgiving.

2 years later though things will change. We just snagged their best defensive lineman Dana Stubblefield, coming off 15 sacks the year before. Monday Night Home opener.

This one wasn't even close. 45-10. The 49ers just came in and destroyed the Redskins.

All of those losses made the 1999 win so much sweeter.

The Redskins came into the game with a chance to get to the playoffs for the first time in 7 years and clinch the division title. The 49ers are without Steve Young and are TERRIBLE in 1999.

Sunday Night football at the Stick. This should be easy, right?

Well it wasn't. In an almost Norvitis game, the 49ers lead most of the way. Late in the 4th the Redskins tie it.

Overtime. The Redskins have the ball, driving. Brad Johnson drops back, floats a pass in the flat to Larry Centers, and Larry sees nobody ahead. Just grass and the endzone.

Touchdown Washington Redskins. 26-20 in OT

NFC East Champions.

We have a history with these guys and I hate them. Yea I hope we have a high draft pick, but I really want this game.

I want to beat Harbaugh's smug ass face, prove to the country these guys are frauds and for one week not feel like we are the worst team in the NFL.

And I really want to beat these guys. The Redskins should have been the team of the 80s, not the 49ers. No team should be blessed with Montana and Young back to back. I have loved the fact they have missed the playoffs the last 10 years.

I want this one bad

If we can control the time of possession, we have a good shot at this. We need to keep our offense on the field, driving... which will allow our defense to stay fresh and hungry. If we can play with a lead through the first half, we will be in a good position. Of course, this is easier said than done considering we are the worst in the NFL in first half points. Just pray for an injury-less game and no INT's for Carlos Rogers.

If we can control the time of possession, we have a good shot at this. We need to keep our offense on the field, driving... which will allow our defense to stay fresh and hungry. If we can play with a lead through the first half, we will be in a good position. Of course, this is easier said than done considering we are the worst in the NFL in first half points. Just pray for an injury-less game and no INT's for Carlos Rogers.

I want to blow them out like we did in 2005, 52-17.

I am still ticked at Harbaugh's antics in the Orange Bowl against Virginia Tech. I may never let that go until the Redskins kick his ass up and down the field.

The brutal 1990s against the 49ers with little Eddie running the show made me despise that organization

I remember the same thing about that 1990 playoff game. I thought going in that we had 0 chance in that game. They were 15-1 or 14-2 right? They were going to 3 peat, everybody knew it. Then we pretty much dominated that whole game from start to finish, except for all those redzone INT's that Rypien threw. You could tell in that game that we were going to be unstoppable in 1991 if Rypien could pull his head out of his ass, and he did the next year. :D

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 01:27 PM ----------

This game though, who cares? we aren't winning 8 even if we blow the 49ers out. May as well go for the draft pick.

Can't say I ever hated the '9ers in the '80's. They frustrated the heck out of me when it came to ending our seasons as noted in the OP, but I always respected the heck out of them for what they achieved on the field; and they always appeared classy off it. DeBartelo always seemed the consummate owner to me.

Now the Bears and Giants in the '80's ..... NOW your talking about hate! :mad: :redpunch:

Hail.

Can't say I ever hated the '9ers in the '80's. They frustrated the heck out of me when it came to ending our seasons as noted in the OP, but I always respected the heck out of them for what they achieved on the field; and they always appeared classy off it. DeBartelo always seemed the consummate owner to me.

Now the Bears and Giants in the '80's ..... NOW your talking about hate! :mad: :redpunch:

Hail.

I guess I came of age as a football fan in the late 80s, around 1988-1989ish when I figured out what my dad and uncles were watching.

By 1990 I despised them. I think they started that season super hot, 10-0? something like that. It just seemed so easy for them in that sorry ass division.

I was too young to really hate the Bears. I understand why many fans would because of that 1984 playoff loss

Nice summary man! I also remember getting crushed by the 49ers in the latter part of the 1985 season. After an up-and-down 5-5 start to that season, we won 5 of our last 6 (with that game being the 1 loss). We win that game, we make the playoffs again.

What was cool about the 1999 division-clinching win in SF was that they really should have won the game. They were deep in our territory running the clock out and fumbled the ball. I don't remember if they had the lead there and just needed to hold onto the ball or if we were tied and they would have easily kicked the go-ahead FG. Either way, we recovered and either stayed tied or drove for the tie and then won in OT on that busted coverage play you mentioned.

What was cool about the 1999 division-clinching win in SF was that they really should have won the game. They were deep in our territory running the clock out and fumbled the ball. I don't remember if they had the lead there and just needed to hold onto the ball or if we were tied and they would have easily kicked the go-ahead FG. Either way, we recovered and either stayed tied or drove for the tie and then won in OT on that busted coverage play you mentioned.

I believe it was a tie game, going for the go ahead field goal. Shawn Barber made that play around the 20?

That game was also when Brad Johnson set the franchise record for passing yards in a game

When we weren't playing them, I actually liked the 49ers as a kid. They were a great team and they also hated the Cowboys. I kind of viewed them as allies for a while. Also, my dad hung out with Jerry Rice one time back in 89 and told me how much of a class act he was.

When we weren't playing them, I actually liked the 49ers as a kid. They were a great team and they were also hated the Cowboys. I kind of viewed them as allies for a while. Also, my dad hung out with Jerry Rice one time back in 89 and told me how much of a class act he was.

See, I view the 49ers, Cowboys and Steelers as an axis of evil that must be destroyed :)

I want to blow them out like we did in 2005, 52-17.

I am still ticked at Harbaugh's antics in the Orange Bowl against Virginia Tech. I may never let that go until the Redskins kick his ass up and down the field.

The brutal 1990s against the 49ers with little Eddie running the show made me despise that organization

oh man thats right i remember that 52-17 massacre... couldnt believe wecould amass that many points

If we score half that number this weekend, ill be ecstatic

Teams I HATE based on my childhood memories (1983-1996), in descending order:

1) Cowboys - no explanation needed

2) Eagles - Mike Quick, Randall Cunningham, Buddy Ryan, Reggie White

3) Raiders - Black Sunday, nuff said

4) Giants - Damn you LT for snappage, and damn Dave Meggett for all those half back passes (and for the rape you were convicted of, you sick sun of a *****)

5) Bears - They beat our ASS, including making Joey T record a 1 yd punt (broke my heart)

6) 49ers - They got all the love, and all the calls (except the NFCCG at RFK, suck it!)

EDIT: To include the Giants. Thanks RFKFedEx, for bringing those memories back. Now I am gonna wake up in a cold sweat seeing JoeyT snappage).

Didn't you forget NYG Popeman? LT terrorizing Jay Schroeder all three games in 86 drove my hate factor to a peak as a 9 y o boy.

I have trouble hating the Niners today bc no franchise in the league is more similar to us as far as the fan base, wins and losses in my lifetime, etc. I've also been to the Stick to see the Skins, and the Niner faithful were classy for the most part.

Teams I HATE based on my childhood memories (1983-1996), in descending order:

1) Cowboys - no explanation needed

2) Eagles - Mike Quick, Randall Cunningham, Buddy Ryan, Reggie White

3) Raiders - Black Sunday, nuff said

4) Bears - They beat our ASS, including making Joey T record a 1 yd punt (broke my heart)

5) 49ers - They got all the love, and all the calls (except the NFCCG at RFK, suck it!)

You have a bad memory man. We OWNED the Eagles back then. The team that we should hate with a passion was the Giants from 85-90 they beat us at least 80% of the time, even counting the strike game that we won. In 1986 we were easily the best team in the NFL, besides the Giants who beat us 3 times including in the NFCCG. We'd have as many rings in the 80's as the 49ers if it wasn't for that Giants team. If the 49ers played in the East and us in the West i'm sure the results would've been reversed as well, but the 49ers didn't beat us in the 80's we won the 1983 NFCCG against them.

November of 1996 the Redskins could make everything right from the past 5 years. The Redskins were 8-3, coming off a 7-1 start and then a big win in Philly the week before. The 49ers in 1996 were struggling, it was a 1 pm game, Young had been getting knocked around all season. In the 4th quarter of a very close game, Gus Frerrote hits Jamie Asher who rumbles into the endzone. My dad was the first guy in section 506 of RFK to get up and cheer when Asher caught the ball because he knew it was a TD.

RFK erupts. Skins are up 16-9 with under 7 minutes left in the 4th.

The ensuing kickoff. The 49ers return man gets up to the 20 yard line and gets NAILED. Boom, the ball is loose. Scramble for the ball. The Redskins are all indicating Redskins ball. RFK is shaking like it hasn't since the 1991 NFC Title game vs Detroit. But somehow the 49ers come out with the football.

This can't be fair. Clearly it was recoverd by the Redskins.

Steve Young methodically drives on Ron Lynn's defense. Boom touchdown. Boom tie game.

Overtime. Another Steve Young methodical drive. FG. Redskins lose 19-16 and the 1996 season begins to crumble as the now 8-4 Redskins will lose in Dallas 4 days later on Thanksgiving.

Yeah man I only got to see maybe 10 Redskins games at RFK but that was one of them (I was also at the game in Philly the week before). I was sitting pretty low in the end zone opposite of where that kickoff happened and talk about having the same memory.....the explosion of noise from the crowd when that ball came out was something else.....its hard to forget.

Remember after the game Young was being interviewed about the feeling before the tying drive and he said "Down by 7, RFK, crowd going nuts......does it get any better?" He was bummed when they told him that would be the stadium's final year for football.

Two things stood out from the clip SHF attached:

1) The voice of Frank Herzog in the booth, before company man Larry Michael took over

2) How many times the TV broadcast showed Snyder. I remember a game we played against Indy right before that and they showed him a lot too. Granted, you'll see shots of the more well-known owners (Kraft, Jones, Lurie) from time-to-time when their teams are on, but with Snyder in his first year, it often seemed like an obsession.

Archived