Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011-12 CAA Basketball Thread

bushwack

That was the ugliest basketball game I've ever seen. I know both teams played solidly defensively, but that was still an ugly ass game. And once again this game was lost by ODU at the FT line. Shooting 55.6% from the charity stripe isn't going to cut it against good teams.

Looks like ODU will need help to have a chance to win the regular season crown, even though that won't matter. The CAA is only a 1-bid team this season, no team warrants an at-large bid, whoever wins the CAA Tourney will be playing in the big dance.

2 games today feature teams with winning conference records, first one is Delaware (8-6) traveling down to Ga. State (9-5) @ 2 PM.

The other game of course is one of the big games of the season with VCU (12-2) traveling down 64 to play at ODU (11-3) @ 2 PM.

GO MONARCHS!

Just got back from the game, and once again another ugly games, but most ODU games are ugly and very defensive. This one was once again lost by ODU at the FT stripe. 55.6% isn't going to cut it, also not scoring a basket in the first 10 minutes of the second half isn't going to help.

This now makes ODU 0-4 vs. Mason & VCU, hopefully we can still manage to get a top 4 seed and get revenge vs. one of these teams, if not both, in the CAA Tournament and be the team that represents the CAA in the big dance.

Great win for VCU and nice to get a sweep of ODU with GMU on the horizon.

sidenote: I'm sorry but that was one of the worst displays of home cooking I've seen in a long time. Every foul call went ODU's way after the T on Taylor. It got absolutely ridiculous. I try to avoid complain about refs(especially after winning) but they were crap. I was completely confused by Monarch fans near me thinking they were getting shafted on foul calls. FTs were the only way ODU was scoring for most of the second half.

I still think Drexel sits in the best spot to have the #1 seed going into the dance. I think Drexel gets the #1, Mason gets #2, VCU #3, and ODU rounds out the top 4.

I still believe winning the regular season crown is meaningless this year, and the only team to make the dance will be the tournament champion, and even the tournament champion is going to be seeded at best a 10 or 11 seed, at best.

I still think Drexel sits in the best spot to have the #1 seed going into the dance. I think Drexel gets the #1, Mason gets #2, VCU #3, and ODU rounds out the top 4.

I still believe winning the regular season crown is meaningless this year, and the only team to make the dance will be the tournament champion, and even the tournament champion is going to be seeded at best a 10 or 11 seed, at best.

Oh, at BEST. But the regular season champ will, if they lose in the tourney, get an automatic at-large bid.

Oh, at BEST. But the regular season champ will, if they lose in the tourney, get an automatic at-large bid.

Yeah to the CBI or CIT. I doubt the regular season champ gets an auto bid into the NIT, and there's no way the regular season champ gets an auto bid into the NCAAs, even if they lose on Monday in the Championship game.

No CAA team has any real quality wins that would qualify them for the big dance. Mason & Drexel have only played UVA, VCU only played Alabama, and ODU played Kentucky & Missouri. All of those games were lost by CAA teams.

Regular season champ is guaranteed a spot in the NIT(If there's co reg season champs the #1 seed in the CAA tourney gets the spot). Only VCU or Drexel have any at large chances. ESPN analysts were saying both were now beginning to appear on the bubble. Now there's two systems BPI and RPI. ESPN creates the BPI while the NCAA is RPI.

RR is correct: http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/files/NIT_Principles_Procedures.pdf

The regular-season champion of any NCAA Division I conference (as determined by

the conference’s tie-break protocol) not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will secure an automatic qualification to the National Invitation Tournament.

ï‚·

Anyway I'll be up in Fairfax for tomorrows game. My voice still hasn't recovered from the trip to Norfolk. If this trip ends up the same way I won't be able to talk until next week probably.:ols: My bro graduated from Mason but he decided the game was too late for him.

----

This game will be tough for VCU. Mason usually plays well at home and we're coming off a huge W on the road. Its a lot to ask your team to get re focused so fast to play another tough road game. At least there's no pressure as far as getting a top 4 seed anymore. Now it comes down to the 2nd seed vs the 3rd seed(Drexel probably won't lose again). This game is still huge though. I can't imagine what it would do to VCU's confidence if they walked out of the Ted and Pat Center with W's.

Anyway I'll be up in Fairfax for tomorrows game. My voice still hasn't recovered from the trip to Norfolk. If this trip ends up the same way I won't be able to talk until next week probably.:ols: My bro graduated from Mason but he decided the game was too late for him.

----

This game will be tough for VCU. Mason usually plays well at home and we're coming off a huge W on the road. Its a lot to ask your team to get re focused so fast to play another tough road game. At least there's no pressure as far as getting a top 4 seed anymore. Now it comes down to the 2nd seed vs the 3rd seed(Drexel probably won't lose again). This game is still huge though. I can't imagine what it would do to VCU's confidence if they walked out of the Ted and Pat Center with W's.

Doesn't matter; you're still getting a home game for the tourney :mad:

Hopefully it's like the GMU-VCU game in 2008. Close until Folarin put us up for good with a three.

Doesn't matter; you're still getting a home game for the tourney :mad:

Hopefully it's like the GMU-VCU game in 2008. Close until Folarin put us up for good with a three.

Cry about the tourney location all you want but deep down you know it gives GMU a big advantage too. You know damn well GMU brings the 2nd most fans to RC. Stop:beatdeadhorse:

Cry about the tourney location all you want but deep down you know it gives GMU a big advantage too. You know damn well GMU brings the 2nd most fans to RC. Stop:beatdeadhorse:

dude its not even close when you compare the VCU fans there to everyone else. they need to rotate the tournament every two years. holding it in richmond year after year is ridiculous. how would you like if it was held in DC or Norfolk every year?

dude its not even close when you compare the VCU fans there to everyone else. they need to rotate the tournament every two years. holding it in richmond year after year is ridiculous. how would you like if it was held in DC or Norfolk every year?

I'll be doing a lot of driving but I'd over it. Also the CAA headquarters is here. Keep in mind the tourney was here long before VCU even joined the CAA. Back then everyone complained of U of R having the advantage. This whole home advantage crap has been completely beat to death a million times. Its central to the schools that bring the best attendance and its the most central location of the CAA. Northern states can't even come close to filling their arenas outside of Drexel who plays in a high school gym. So moving it up north isn't a option. The tourney probably won't be any better down South unless we're expecting increased numbers of UNCW fans. All that happens if the tourney gets moved is it messes up attendance for the event. If you look at the tourney attendance its one of the top 10 most attended conference tourneys consistently. Look what happen to the A10 when they moved the tourney. Absolute crash and burn. The best team always wins in Richmond regardless of crowd advantage. You don't see me saying GMU only went to the Final Four because it played in front of a Pro GMU crowd at Verizon Center. That's because that's degrading how good that Mason team was. VCU fans were greatly outnumbered by Kansas fans(Plenty of VCU fans were there but there's Jayhawk fans everywhere) in the Elite game but VCU won by double digits. The better team always finds a way to win regardless of what crowd its being played in front of. The CAA champion is usually a VA team because those are the traditional powers in the CAA. They bring the best teams and the most fans.

Hell, even I'LL admit that playing at the Phone Booth helped some when we beat UCONN. Actually, it's funny: we had played MSU the previous season (and kept it close); UNC was inexperienced; we had already beaten Wichita State; and Uconn was basically a home game.

Personally I'm getting tired of the Northern schools constantly hating on the southern schools because they feel the CAA loves them. All Drexel and Hofstra do is complain about the CAA and wish they were in other conference. Personally I wouldn't mean losing them for couple of nice southern schools. Northeastern has been pretty good for the CAA competitiveness(attendance wise not so much but its a hockey school) plus Boston is a nice city. I wouldn't mind Towson moving to the American East if we could find someone half decent to replace them(though it looks like Towson might be building the program for the future right now so perhaps they turn it around in a few years). UNCW is perfectly fine here. The VA schools are essentially the life blood of the conference so they need to stay(JMU & W&M need to up their game though. JMU is only focused on football and W&M hasn't done anything during the regular season behind Shaver. Shaver only has a job because of the CAA tourney runs.) Hunter will do a good job at GSU so I wouldn't mind keeping them around. The attendances at the Northern schools are consistently bad though(Drexel selling out a high school gym its not saying much). If we could get some southern schools with decent attendance I wouldn't mind us making the CAA more central. I realize losing Hofstra and Drexel means losing those markets but those schools have long wanted to move on to other things(Hofstra has been constantly trying to get into the A10. It won't happen but it shows they will jump first real chance they get with another conference. Drexel is in a city surrounded by the Big 5 so its not like they are the main story there anyway. Only time they are a big deal is when they have a good year like this year.) I still think Northeastern has potential especially considering they do field teams plus Boston is a important market.

you can't even compare mason playing at the verizon center during our FF run to VCU getting to play in the CAA tourney in richmond every year.

mason happened to luck out and get a venue that favored them ONE time. i'm sure it helped, but no one ever thought mason would get through MSU or UNC to get there.

on the other hand, its a known fact that every single year VCU gets home court advantage in the CAA tourney. thats comparing apples to oranges.

the tourney needs moved around every couple of years. i don't care if the CAA headquarters are there or not.

you can't even compare mason playing at the verizon center during our FF run to VCU getting to play in the CAA tourney in richmond every year.

mason happened to luck out and get a venue that favored them ONE time. i'm sure it helped, but no one ever thought mason would get through MSU or UNC to get there.

on the other hand, its a known fact that every single year VCU gets home court advantage in the CAA tourney. thats comparing apples to oranges.

the tourney needs moved around every couple of years. i don't care if the CAA headquarters are there or not.

Like I said this argument is beat to death. I'd love you to name one VCU Mason game that was clearly influenced by crowd advantage. Last year VCU simply laid a beat dwon on Mason after Mason won at VCU weeks before so you can't argue fan advantage. The year before VCU came in as a dangerous 5th seed and had barely lost to Mason weeks before after being up 20 at half time at Mason. VCU out lasted Mason in a tough game. 09 Maynor and VCU demolished GMU in the CAA championship. VCU was just simply better then and had NBA point guard running the show. 07 Perhaps this one you might have a argument as I remember the scene in RC but this game came down to Mason making bad mistakes at the end and Maynor being lights out. Mason had its inexperienced player carry the ball up the court against Maynor not once but twice. That's not the crowds fault. You allowed VCU to tie the game thus gaining the momentum which propelled them to a victory.

Like I said this argument is beat to death. I'd love you to name one VCU Mason game that was clearly influenced by crowd advantage.

How about every game that ANY team (Not just Mason) has to play VCU in the CAA tourney, VCU has the homecourt advantage. don't even try to argue against it. You'd be bitter as hell if the tourney got moved out of richmond. Don't try to deny that either

The only meaningful game today is VCU (13-2) @ Mason (13-2) @ 9 PM.

As an objective outsider I think Mason wins this game and does so by 7-10 points. VCU doesn't have anyone that can guard Pearson & Morrison down low. Mason just needs to go inside time after time, but they also have the capability to pass it back out and hit an outside shot. While VCU's offense is very simple, shoot a 3, there is no inside game for them. As long as Mason can defend the 3, or if VCU is cold shooting Mason will come away with the win.

As for the CAA Tourney, we all know VCU has an unfair advantage and anyone that will argue otherwise is a buffoon. The tournament will be held at the brown dump until at '14, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the venue moved after that. But no matter where they move the tournament site, most likely one team will have a big advantage over the rest of the conference.

In other CAA news, the CAA and NBC Sports Group just signed a 5-year TV deal yesterday:

http://www.caazone.com/2012/02/13/caa-and-nbc-sports-group-ink-5-year-tv-deal/

This agreement will begin during the 2012-13 season and will provide national coverage of both CAA football and men's basketball games; and, regional coverage of football, men's, & women's basketball through the 2016-17 season. The CAA is the first conference to sign a broadcast deal with the NBC Sports Network, which launded earlier this year.

NBC Sports Network will nationally televise a minimum of 5 football games a year, as well as a minimum of 12 nationally televised basketball games a year, including the semifinals and final of the CAA Tournament. Regionally there will be an additional 39 men's and women's games televised, and another 13 regular-season football games will be televised regionally as well.

Archived