Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Locklear Comment, "They Out Play-Called Us"

petedaddy

Kyle: *sigh* Okay guys, in this play, I don't care what you do. Really. Do anything. Shoot the guy if you have to. Just don't **** this up!

Linemen: . . . no.

LOLOLOLOL! Man you and Diesel have my stomach hurting from laughing at you guys. It seems like the opposing team coaching staff is also saying "hmmmmmm we need to get pressure on the QB, then they say ohhhh I forgot we can choose either Locklear or Brown side or BOTH. They will give us a free run at the QB..............hell, they're on our side" And their cousin Cook is in the game too, this will be easy guys.

RED06

Before he tries blaming the coaches, maybe Locklear needs to acknowledge that the offensive line didn't grade out well in their individual performances -- they needed to bring more into this game. And maybe they should leave Montgomery at Center and find another Left Guard. Cook couldn't do much worse at Guard.

PS: I was astonished at how poorly Brown was playing. I don't think he's the answer at LT, much less at RT.

I agree; while I was watching the game, I was asking myself, why isn't Montgomery at center and Cook at guard? And Jamaal is a turnstile; he wasn't great last year but he wasn't bad, he's just bad this year

I get it from your post(s), that you don't like John Beck. But I guess the bigger question is, what does John Beck have to do with the OP post that we where out coached as stated by Locklear? Yet you say the play callers for Ramsey and Campbell aren't relevant to this conversation? I think your whole response to the OP's original post is NOT relevant to the topic at all. Being out coached is on the "coaching staff", NOT John Beck bro. Now if Locklear had mentioned John Beck in his statement, which he didn't. Then I can see relevance in your response. But you're turning a thread about being out coached, to a QB (Anti-John Beck thread).

That's like saying man Gaffney has ALOT of passes dropped. Then your response is, he's dropping them because John Becks beaty eyes and red cheeks is throwing him the ball. IF Andrew Luck was throwing him the ball, he would've caught them. And that was just an example. I'm not implying anything about Gaffney etc.

From what I've saw out there as far as threads on this board, there's plenty of anti-John Beck discussions that you can vent in. But it gets kinda old when EVERY thread is turned into a QB thread. It makes what could be a good debate or discussion into who's the best between Grossman, Beck, Luck, Theisman, Marino, Steve Young, Montana, Sammy Baugh, George Forman Grill, John McCains alligator arms, Sarah Palins sexy perfume, Driving Ms. Daisy, Jennifer Lopez butt, Kim Kardassian pretty legs etc etc etc. See how crazy the end of that started sounding as I went totally OFF subject?

Come on fellas, lets keep the thread to our coaching staff being out coached. And we where for the record. Brian Mitchell, Trevor, and the other gentleman said it.

RED06

Bravo, Red! Let's keep it on track. If you don't like Beck, then we get it by now. Your'e not proving a point; you're just getting annoying.

Locklear is a coward.

Brahs, my point was that the playcalling has looked much different to me since John Beck has been in there. IMO they are trying to limit his mistakes and we are playing with zero confidence. It is 100% relevant to the conversation when the OC is afraid to open up the playbook.

I have been saying this when Haslett was hired, I said it last year and I said it before the year started that he is not that good of a DC. He gets so much praise for his defensive mind but look at where his defenses rank throughout his entire coaching career and you will find a coach that hasn't coached a top 15 let alone top 10 defense. His defenses rank in the bottom of the barrel every year. As for Kyle Shanahan, his offense has been very good in Houston at times during his tenure there but his playcalling has been suspect even then. Combine that in one team and you have a recipe for disaster. Teams will get fooled some of the time but when they see the patterns of your playcalling from game to game they will know how to stop you. If you look at what defense the Redskins employ on third and long and it never changes then you can run the same play every time and be successful to a degree. I mean after about 4 or 5 times they will adjust then the opponent will be successful 4 or 5 time on a different play before they adjust again. Why does Haslett get so much praise for little success. I can't see where he has been successful as a DC. Can someone please explain this to me? Why do you think that teams like the Lions, Bills, Cards, and the bottom dwellers continue to win against us. It is because we get out play-called because Haslett is predictable. I have been saying this for the longest time and now it is coming out. We are getting out coached and I never thought a Mike Shanahan team would get out coached. I also never thought we would get shut out by the Bills either. How bad does it have to get before the players start getting mad at what is happening and kick some of these guys in the rear and make them accountable. I would like to see London Fletcher or someone on the defense to go to the offense and grab them by the face mask and give them a pece of his mind. Point the finger at those who aren't playing up to their abilities and put them on notice. That if they don't perform then their will be ramifications to their piss poor play at practice that next week.

I think it was more about being out-played, than out play called.

Man up - your performance blew.

I can agree that the offensive line was being out played, but I did think it was crazy that he made the out play called statement.

It just makes me wonder if the players themselves are doubting the play calling.

Brahs, my point was that the playcalling has looked much different to me since John Beck has been in there. IMO they are trying to limit his mistakes and we are playing with zero confidence. It is 100% relevant to the conversation when the OC is afraid to open up the playbook.

This I agree with with. It seems as if they are calling a pretty vanilla game.Beck imo was doing pretty good for the situation,well better than Rex(if he played behind this oline)Oline stinking ,Running Back looking slow,soft,and very below average.Beck needs KS to open it up and go for the gusto.Hell,if vanilla and conservative is getting you no points,let's see what aggressive will do.SMH

All I know, is I saw the Redskins offensive linemen usually winding up getting pile-driven down behind the line of scrimmage, on running plays.

I'm sort of sick of seeing this kind of thing used to defend the coaches. Say what you want about some of the OL we had in the past that the Shanahans got rid of... but guys like Dockery, Rinehart, Edwin Williams, and Heyer when he was at guard could drive defensive linemen backwards on running plays. The COACHES chose to get rid of these guys and keep or bring in smaller, "faster" guys because of their system. The Shanahans may have inherited a team with some bad talent -- but they got rid of what talent they did have because they refused to alter their schemes at all to fit that talent. This can not be used to defend the playcalling, because playcalling goes hand in hand with "what can the players you have chosen do well."

I'm sort of sick of seeing this kind of thing used to defend the coaches. Say what you want about some of the OL we had in the past that the Shanahans got rid of... but guys like Dockery, Rinehart, Edwin Williams, and Heyer when he was at guard could drive defensive linemen backwards on running plays. The COACHES chose to get rid of these guys and keep or bring in smaller, "faster" guys because of their system. The Shanahans may have inherited a team with some bad talent -- but they got rid of what talent they did have because they refused to alter their schemes at all to fit that talent. This can not be used to defend the playcalling, because playcalling goes hand in hand with "what can the players you have chosen do well."

You mean the zone blocking system that helped our coach win two Super Bowls? Yeah, why go with what works? :rolleyes:

You mean the zone blocking system that helped our coach win two Super Bowls? Yeah, why go with what works?

That's cute and all.... but I presume that if you are a Redskins fan, you are a little more concerned about how he does here. Superbowls have been won lots of different ways and by lots of different people in lots of different stages of their lives and periods of NFL history. We, as fans posting to a message board usually worry about what they have now and what they are in the process of building now. People are rightfully concerned about what's been happening the past few weeks, and what Shanahan inherited and how his hand-picked players are performing are not reasonable excuses for Shanahan. I don't want us to get rid of Shanahan -- but that doesn't mean he does not deserve the blame. I am optimistic Shanahan will eventually build a winner here if he is given the chance... but that does not mean he is doing a great job every step of the way -- or that he has chosen anything even close to the straightest path to achieving that goal. We are two years in and the last few weeks, IMO, look worse than we ever have... ever.

That is very true. In fact Chad Rinehart looked pretty decent playing guard for the Bills, but he was too big for guard in a zone blocking scheme.

I will be a raving, foaming at the mouth, homer lunatic every day that I breathe air on this earth.... but watching John Beck run this offense is like watching my girlfriend **** my best friend in my parents bed. It hurts man.

So, you still live with your parents??

JK....

Ya can't expect Mike to come out and say Beck sucks hairymoosenuts to the media; sometimes its just a confidence thing with qbs and once he gets some help on the field things will change.

I'm not saying Beck is great; yes, he isn't playing good at all, but there are alot of other contributing factors, mainly players, not doing anything to help the cause...

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 11:09 AM ----------

You can also go back and watch Brown [rg] getting schooled on every down; he looked like the true definition of a player looking for a paycheck...

Ok, so be it bro. But I'm not going to get into a debate about the play calling as it pertains to the QB. And we got torched on the other side of the ball as well. I guess from what you're saying, the defense was playing vanilla too huh? I think we where out coached because teams know what Shanahans M.O. is, running the football. So with the offensive sets we put in the game teams have started gambling on it being a run. So they load the box. Our down fall on defense is that teams have realized that if they spread our defense out and make them cover then its alot easier to run on us as well as pass, so that is where teams are exposing our defense with now.

The NFL is a passing league now to set up the run, not the other way like Shanahan and Gibbs where use to (run to set up the pass) It's now 3 and 4 WR sets to set up the run. Look at how NE,GB,and NO run their offense, that crap is hard to start because they spread you out and make you cover with your 3rd and 4th string CB and LB's gotta cover really good TE's. So we are being out coached, because we don't seem to adjust anything or at least try until after half time. And Kyle Shanahans play calling have left alot to be desired ALL year long. Not just the last 2 games. Look how the Texans offense is rolling right along WITHOUT him there.

Good example is the Philly game, when they spreaded them out on the goal line score Philly had to play the formation and not John Beck, so it left a good lane for a QB sneak for a TD. But again PLEASE miss me with whether John Beck is good QB or a bad one. That is not what I'm going to debate or even try. It's a pointless discussion, but we can talk about coaching ideas as its relevant to this thread.

RED06

This is a post-game reaction by an offensive lineman. My take -

Beck got sacked 9 times. Locklear knows this. He also knows that, on most of the sacks, Beck was given enough time to make a decision with the ball. He therefore concludes that receivers weren't open downfield, because if receivers were open downfield, Beck would have hit them with the ball instead of taking the sack. Since the interview took place before Locklear could watch the game film, he was not able to see whether his assumption was correct. I would imagine the pictures that the Oline coach reviews with the lineman focuses on their blocking assignments and not on the quarterback's decisionmaking.

I would place a lot more stock in LavarLeap's direct quote of a player after watching film than an offensive lineman's immediate postgame reaction as to why the Redskins offense was struggling. The player said that having Beck forced upon them is like being a boxer but not being able to use your hands.

Kyle Playbook=Stretch Left, Stretch Right, Playaction Bootleg Pass.

Haslett Playbook= LB Blitz, Safety Blitz, CB Blitz, All Blitz

Danny Smith Playbook=Get Kicked Blocked, Kick Return to 15 yard line

And ConcordNC if we can all see this before all of our games, you better bet a dang professional defensive and offensive coordinator that gets paid millions of dollars to stop it can see it as well. Great post bro.

RED06

I would place a lot more stock in LavarLeap's direct quote of a player after watching film than an offensive lineman's immediate postgame reaction as to why the Redskins offense was struggling. The player said that having Beck forced upon them is like being a boxer but not being able to use your hands.

To me this feels like such nonsense. I think this is where filmwork can be deceiving. Most of the time, when bad plays happen, you can go back and find things you could have done differently to avoid the bad or even make something very good happen. But anyone with eyes could see that defenders were getting into the backfield incredibly quickly very close to 100% of the time... much faster than our own defense was getting anywhere close to Fitzpatrick and much faster than what Grossman was seeing in his first few games this year. When Grossman started seeing pressure like that, the results were even more disastrous. You just have to have eyes for that. Once you start taking sequences of still photos and analyzing film, you can find opportunities that could have made things different or better that can be pinned on Beck -- but the fact is, the successful QBs for the most part are successful because they have a little more time to not be perfect and still find a good play.

Archived