Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Replacing Tim Hightower won't be easy

themurf

We'll see a drop-off there. I think he's their only back who can play in every down and formation. He isn't as fast as Helu and he isn't as violent a runner as Torain, but overall he had a better complete set of skills to date.

Totally agree. Hightower has been a great blocker, reminding me at times of Portis when the pocket collapses. Helu definitely can NOT do that and I do not believe Torain can but he should be able to based upon his size. I agree Hightower is a more complete RB. running, catching, blocking. Hopefully he will come back strong next year. Unlike Portis he has a positive attitude and is great for a lockerroom.

Good read man, but I don't agree about Beck. We will see though, but comparing his one start to several different starts of Grossman is not an accurate defense. I do believe we will see the power of Hightower being missed sooner then we think. This guy could very well be a Redskin for life, and I hope he comes back better then ever after this injury

I'm not judging John Beck on one start. In fact, I'd be fine if he started the rest of the year. I'm just saying that nothing he's done in his more than four NFL seasons leads me to believe he's going to be anything special.

I'm not judging John Beck on one start. In fact, I'd be fine if he started the rest of the year. I'm just saying that nothing he's done in his more than four NFL seasons leads me to believe he's going to be anything special.

I agree. He's not the answer. Regarding THT, I think that if the Skins were to lose any player, the half back was the player to lose. THT wasn't setting the world on fire and it wasn't clear who would even start recently.

Don't get it twisted, Carolina's defense is bad. Anything that happened positvily Sunday should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm also sad to lose Hightower, but only for his pass blocking. Both Torain and Helu have proven to be more effective runners (Torain and Helu average 5 yards a run while Hightower averaged less than 4 yards). I, for one, think we think we should hand over the starting job to Helu. He's our most dynamic back and he gives us a serious weapon on passing downs (which we'll need with Santana out). Anyone else with me?

Wasn't Portis fat at the one workout he had this year?

Reportedly, Portis had an impressive workout with the Titans last week, but he is still sitting out there unsigned. I wouldn't be shocked if we at least gave him a look.

Personally, I was very worried about our RB situation until we traded for Hightower. As nice as Torain ran last year, he's not a very good blocker or a receiver out of the backfield. Also, being an upright runner, he's probably always going to be injury prone. Helu still looks like a rookie out there at times and still has a ways to go to be a solid starting RB. I expect he will get the bulk of the carries.

Promoting Royster doesn't change much of the dynamics of the position where we need it. I'd rather find a guy who can soak up some carries and help out in protection for our beat up line.

Reportedly, Portis had an impressive workout with the Titans last week, but he is still sitting out there unsigned. I wouldn't be shocked if we at least gave him a look.

Personally, I was very worried about our RB situation until we traded for Hightower. As nice as Torain ran last year, he's not a very good blocker or a receiver out of the backfield. Also, being an upright runner, he's probably always going to be injury prone. Helu still looks like a rookie out there at times and still has a ways to go to be a solid starting RB. I expect he will get the bulk of the carries.

Promoting Royster doesn't change much of the dynamics of the position where we need it. I'd rather find a guy who can soak up some carries and help out in protection for our beat up line.

I agree with everything that you said in this quote.

It could only benefit our team to work Portis out. If he is in shape and healthy Portis can come in without the usual learning curve and add quality depth.

I agree with everything that you said in this quote.

It could only benefit our team to work Portis out. If he is in shape and healthy Portis can come in without the usual learning curve and add quality depth.

At this point, Clinton Portis comes with too much baggage. Can't see any way, shape or form they'd bring him in. They've moved on. You guys probably should too.

Even though I think that that "baggage" term is used way too much around here, you are probably right murf. We more than likely won't even work Portis out. I just don't see what it would hurt to take a look at a veteran RB who has run our system before and blocks like a OT. IMO we simply are not good enough to be so picky and to move on from opportunities like that.

BTW big guy with all do respect, maybe instead of sitting back and shooting down suggestions with your mighty laser pen, you could come up with one yourself.:pfft:

Please notice the playfulness to my tone murf. People have been touchy around here lately and I want to be careful with what I say. Sad.

At this point, Clinton Portis comes with too much baggage. Can't see any way, shape or form they'd bring him in. They've moved on. You guys probably should too.

What baggage? As far as I know, Portis and Shanahan parted on good terms. Had Portis wanted to come back in a limited role at a reduced salary, Shanahan had left that option open. Portis didn't want it at the time, feeling like he was still a starter in this league.

And this has little to do with "moving on", but addressing a real need on this team, which your own article pointed out probably doesn't have a solution on this roster.

I'm not too worried about Hightower. Yes he was off to a pretty good start, but if there is one position where we actually have some depth, its RB. I think Torain, Helu, and Royster or whoever else, are more than capable of carrying the load the rest of the way.

I agree with this assessment. I feel bad for Hightower and was rooting for him this season, but i don't think we are in a dire situation. It would be interesting how they rotate Helu and Torain.

I wish Shanahan had some more experience finding running backs to flourish in his system. :)

Hightower isn't anything special. We'll miss his pass blocking more than anything, but Helu has a chance to learn on the fly and by the end of the year he'll be better overall than Hightower ever was.

Hightower will not be hard to repalce he was average on good days and no where to be found 4 out of 6 games

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 04:17 PM ----------

Shann can pick up a UPS man and make him a 1,000 yard back

You do know that Hightower was injured. Don't you?

Aside from a solid preseason performance against an Indianapolis Colts team that looks to be historically bad, Beck has been completely average in every sense of the word.

That's my take too. I'm not sure what exactly others see in Beck. I see a backup - maybe.

Why not try and trade for Chris Ivory (who is close to being healthy I believe) or Pierre Thomas? I have to think NO would be willing to listen to offers for both. If Ivory is healthy, he would be my preference. I like Helu, but am not sold on Royster. Nevermind - trade deadline has passed, which I always forget about :)

Archived