Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We have a lot of holes on this team. How many of them would be covered by improved QB play?

mzkp54

eli is good, people just like to rag on him cause he looks stupid. the guy is 4th in the league in rating right now. hes a franchise QB that can win a game for you when everything else fails. hes consistently taking his team to the playoffs and has a superbowl. big ben is franchise QB, he makes huge throws, is capable of winning a game on his own, and he can make every NFL throw. hes not mark sanchez who just leans on a run game.

so if youd like to cling to the brad johnsons and trent dilfers, the 2 guys in the past 20 years that were journeymen that won superbowls, i feel sorry for you because we should be setting the bar much higher than that. and if youd like to expand on the list of QBs since you shot down those guys for "only winning 1", heres a better list of all the big time hall of fame bound QBs you seem to think arent as important as other positions:

since 1992:

aikman: 3

young: 1

favre: 1

elway: 2

warner: 1

brady: 3

roethlisburger: 2

brees: 1

pManning: 1

eManning: 1

rodgers: 1

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 09:57 AM ----------

i swear to god people just follow the redskins and dont watch espn or NFL network or even the playoffs. i cannot fathom that someone would watch a saints game and say "you can win without that". i mean theres soooo much evidence that this is a QB league yet people want to turn a blind eye and cite the ravens as some sort of measuring stick. its sad really.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. i am not saying i would not take a great QB. I am saying you need a complete team to help a great QB achieve. Ben for example had a great OL and an incredible D to help him win 2 SBs. For all the QBs you listed, how many other 1st rounders have failed. Was it all on them or was it because they didn't have the right team around them?

I always get a good laugh out of everyone here that thinks getting a QB in the first round guarantees success. Fact is its a crap shoot. Any QB after Luck this next year is going to be a crap shoot to whether they pan out or not. The odds are that Beck will be here next year and Rex will be gone. Whomever Shanny drafts next year is going to be a project and is not going to come in and beat out Beck right away. Sorry it ain't going to happen, especially with how complex the offense is. What everyone on here should be hoping for is Beck plays pretty good the rest of the year because if he doesnt you will have another free agent QB holding down the fort until they can get a rookie ready to play which is probably a year of riding the bench.

This team needs some playmakers at WR if you want success at the QB position. All of the good teams have them along with a strong Defense. I would argue the skins have no go to guys at WR and the defense isnt has good as we thought. I dont care how good the QB is, he will look mediocre with that combo. Look at all the young QB's that have come into the league and have had success right away. Flacco (Strong D and running game) Ryan (Great WR's and running game) Sanchez ( Great defense and running) He sucks anyway, Stafford (Great D and WR's). You need the pieces around the QB.

Um... pretty sure the Skins have a good D and a running game.

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 10:26 AM ----------

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. i am not saying i would not take a great QB. I am saying you need a complete team to help a great QB achieve. Ben for example had a great OL and an incredible D to help him win 2 SBs. For all the QBs you listed, how many other 1st rounders have failed. Was it all on them or was it because they didn't have the right team around them?

A great OLine?

Do you know what the Steelers do on offense?

Let me tell you. The receivers run 9 routes, wait for Ben to scramble then play backyard ball to get open. That's the Steelers passing offense.

It's time for a 1st round pick on a Quarterback. The team is ready.

everyone acknowledges that drafting a QB is a crapshoot. taking luck is even a crapshoot. but we have to try, and not trying is the worst thing we can do. being scared to take a QB because he might bust is a terrible philosophy. if every team had that philosophy, QBs wouldnt be taken until round 4.

No, I agree with you. This team needs to draft a QB next year, but lets not act like that is going to solve the problems on this team because it isnt. Plus whomever is drafted is not going to start right away, so realistically we are two years away from seeing them play. Im just tired of seeing thread after thread about how this team needs a franchise QB. Fact is there are only a few teams with "franchise QB's" that are having success right now.

A great OLine?

Let me tell you. The receivers run 9 routes, wait for Ben to scramble then play backyard ball to get open. That's the Steelers passing offense.

lol, i cant even respond to anybody that thinks the steelers oline is good, or even average. that oline is atrocious and they still win. why? because ben is a beast. the packers had a weak ass oline last year too and the year before. rodgers was like top 5 in sacks.

if your QB is smart and quick, your oline can take a back seat. look at indy? they havent had a good oline in like 50 years lol.

Um... pretty sure the Skins have a good D and a running game.

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 10:26 AM ----------

A great OLine?

The D has been exposed and the running game has showed up once or twice. Not consistent enough.

No, I agree with you. This team needs to draft a QB next year, but lets not act like that is going to solve the problems on this team because it isnt. Plus whomever is drafted is not going to start right away, so realistically we are two years away from seeing them play. Im just tired of seeing thread after thread about how this team needs a franchise QB. Fact is there are only a few teams with "franchise QB's" that are having success right now.

if we hit on a QB it will solve a lot of them. put it this way, if we get a QB, the problems will be muuuuch easier to solve going forward.

The D has been exposed and the running game has showed up once or twice. Not consistent enough.

The D has been exposed and the running isn't consistent? What the H E double hockey sticks is this thread about? Do you not understand that you just agreed with the OP? The running game would be more consistent with a passing attack. You also expect the D to hold opponents to 3 and out every series.

The defense is #6 in points per game. And yet you will say it's exposed. No, what's exposed is your lack of football knowledge.

I'm sorry, but it's time to sit down and accept that this team needs a quarterback and nothing else matters.

if we hit on a QB it will solve a lot of them. put it this way, if we get a QB, the problems will be muuuuch easier to solve going forward.

Even better, put it this way - with mediocre QBs, this team has lost games by 2, 7, and 13 points. A stud QB could have closed the point gaps in at least 2, if not all three of those games. If Aaron Rodgers were here, this team would be in the discussion as a Super Bowl contender.

lol, i cant even respond to anybody that thinks the steelers oline is good, or even average. that oline is atrocious and they still win. why? because ben is a beast. the packers had a weak ass oline last year too and the year before. rodgers was like top 5 in sacks.

if your QB is smart and quick, your oline can take a back seat. look at indy? they havent had a good oline in like 50 years lol.

its obvious you have thought issues. When the Steelers won their SBs they had a great OL and a D that simply made every team one dimensional by taking away the run.

its obvious you have thought issues. When the Steelers won their SBs they had a great OL and a D that simply made every team one dimensional by taking away the run.

do great olines give up 46 sacks? because thats how many times ben was sacked the year they won the superbowl.

do great olines muster the 23rd best rushing attack in the NFL? because that was their ranking that year.

the steelers oline is the biggest weakness, and has been for a looooong time. a simple check of espn and just remember some games that season would help you remember.

It's sad how little credit people give to good quarterback play.

At points in the last decade we've had:

1. Average to good O-line.

2. A good RB.

3. Decent WR's.

4. Solid TE

5. Good to great defensive play

Yet year in, year out, our team is the definition of mediocre. You know what the one constant has been with this team? Crappy quarterbacks.

Every team with a ****ty QB looks to that Ravens team as inspiration.

Of course, that Ravens team is probably the only team since the 70s to win with a demonstrably ****ty QB. So...yea....you can copy them. It's a strategy that has worked, like, once.

PS I also feel bad for Brad Johnson that he gets included on the list of mediocre QBs to win a Super Bowl. Brad Johnson was a really good QB who kept running into bad luck. He should have been a star in Minnesota but got hurt and had to watch Randall Cunningham have one of the greatest seasons ever. So, he comes to DC and has a great year...and then gets caught in the middle of the war between Snyder and Norv.

Then he goes to Tampa - where he is good again. And he ends up in the middle of the Dungy-Gruden transition which was not pretty. He plays outstanding for Gruden for one year, but then his interceptions go up and he ends up in Gruden's dog house - where every QB who ever played for Gruden eventually found himself.

He goes back to Minnesota, where he comes in relief of an injured Culpepper and has one of the great seasons in Vikings' history. He nearly single-handidly gets a 2-5 team that had traded Randy Moss and is in the middle of the Love Boat scandal into the playoffs. They fall a game short.

At that point, he is 38 years old...and still pretty good. His career just kind of winds down from there.

I think it is indisputable that he is the best Redskins' QB since Rypien. And Mike Wilbon seemed to make it his mission to run him out of town.

It's sad how little credit people give to good quarterback play.

At points in the last decade we've had:

1. Average to good O-line.

2. A good RB.

3. Decent WR's.

4. Solid TE

5. Good to great defensive play

Yet year in, year out, our team is the definition of mediocre. You know what the one constant has been with this team? Crappy quarterbacks.

its this franchise dude. Gibbs won superbowls without them and thats what people think you can still do it, when the last 2 decades blatantly say you cant. and theyll bring up the ravens and claim "see the ravens did it!" even tho the ravens had the best defense of all time. and they didnt have sustained success until flacco showed up (remember how awesome the ravens defense looked with kyle boller running the show).

im also convinced there are numerous redskins fans whove never watched a good team play a game. how do you watch brees/rivers/manning/rogers/brady and say "we can win without that" lol.

The Steelers had a great o-line?

Are you high? Have you ever watched them?

In Super 43, they started two guys who were almost immediately out of football after that game in Hartwig and Stapleton.

Last year, their line was awful save for Pouncey...and he missed the Super Bowl with an injury.

This year, they have a rookie at right tackle, a left tackle that they had cut in pre-season because he weighed 400 pounds and had a bad neck, and...frankly...I'm not sure who their guards are at this point.

Their entire offense seems to be have Roethlisberger dropped back, get hit immeditely, refuse to fall down, and then throw it to Mike Wallace while falling down.

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 10:14 AM ----------

Yes QBs are more valuable then there were in the 80s thats for sure but i think in the last idk 10 years since thats all i can really recall people have downplayed the importance of a good line. If you noticed the last few years tom brady, manning and Aaron rodgers all had by far the best olines in the league and that converted to sucess. And i can say from playing oline in highschool that the fat guys never get the glory =P

No, they have not.

Brady's line is spectacular.

Rodgers line is mediocre at best.

Manning's line has been okay. It's been good up the middle but the tackles have been nothing special for years.

Roethlisberger has played in three Super Bowls with a horrible o-line.

Out of all of them, the only one who I think really needs a great o-line is Brady. Manning's is like Marino. As long as you don't give up pressure up the middle, he will take care of the outside rush with his release and pocket sense. Rodgers is probably in the top five in terms of athleticism at the QB position, though no one ever thinks of him as an "athlete." Roethlisberger is like Steve McNair; he doesn't play well until he has a broken limb and a linebacker on his back.

Bottom line is, if you look at the teams in the past ten years that are consistently good - not just good one year and then crappy the next like the 2005 Redskins - the consistently good teams all have one thing in common - a great QB. I really can't think of a team that has made the playoffs 4 or more times in the past 10 years without a great or elite QB (or series of great QBs). Sure, if the rest of the team is atrocious, even a great QB isn't going to cover that up, but a great QB can cover a lot of holes, and you simply can't be a consistent contender without one.

Sure, if the rest of the team is atrocious, even a great QB isn't going to cover that up, but a great QB can cover a lot of holes, and you simply can't be a consistent contender without one.

I think that's a good point.

You can have a weird, one-year upswing without a great QB; think of Miami in the year of the wildcat. But if you want to turn that into multiple years of success; you need a great QB.

The Ravens are a prime example of that. They have had a remarkable defense for over a decade, and they can't consistently win their own division because Roethlisberger > Flacco.

Even better, put it this way - with mediocre QBs, this team has lost games by 2, 7, and 13 points. A stud QB could have closed the point gaps in at least 2, if not all three of those games. If Aaron Rodgers were here, this team would be in the discussion as a Super Bowl contender.

Yes and how often do Aaron Rodgers come around? Once every 10 years. Odds of the skins getting a rodgers type QB are very slim

Yes and how often do Aaron Rodgers come around? Once every 10 years. Odds of the skins getting a rodgers type QB are very slim

I don't think Rodgers is a once a generation QB. Manning may be. I'm not even sure Brady is.

I also don't think you can say that someone is a once a decade player when there are 4 or 5 players like him in the league. Manning (when healthy), Brady, Rodgers, and Brees all seem super-elite to me.

so we just dont try to get a QB of that caliber because odds are its tough? bogus. we do anything and everything we can to secure that spot. and if we bust? tough ****, we draft another one until we get it right. hell draft two for all i care, just keep drafting young QBs until we hit on one.

my only problem is giving them too long to succeed. we gave campbell waaaay too much time to figure it out when we should have cut bait with him after the 08 season. we'll know within 2 years what we have in our QB.

My rant did go in the we need a QB direction, but what I'm asking is how much of a difference do you think a QB would make. Jags got Gabbert and still look like garbage. How much will getting a QB in the first next year actually make us improve?

Exactly. We have so many needs we might get a good QB injured. How about some stronger guys on the line of scrimmage. While our O line is athletic they are not very big. They get knocked around as a game progresses. We also need a high powered, strong, tall receiver IMO. We are good at TE. I am still up in the air on our RB situation. We need to focus on our offensive needs and we should start looking for a QB to draft in 2012. However Shanny is not going to take anyone. Luck would be great but Miami gets that one as someone else already pointed out.

Exactly. We have so many needs we might get a good QB injured. How about some stronger guys on the line of scrimmage. While our O line is athletic they are not very big. They get knocked around as a game progresses. We also need a high powered, strong, tall receiver IMO. We are good at TE. I am still up in the air on our RB situation. We need to focus on our offensive needs and we should start looking for a QB to draft in 2012. However Shanny is not going to take anyone. Luck would be great but Miami gets that one as someone else already pointed out.

Here's what you all are missing.

Next year the Jags won't be in the market for a quarterback. They will get him weapons. They play good defense and run the ball pretty good. They have their QB. They can now concentrate on playmakers and explosion.

anyone expecting to draft a rookie QB and miraculously look better is insane. fully expect that when we get our rookie we are still going to struggle, because rookies struggle. and thats ok, but you need to be patient.

however, gabbert looks awful and is looking like a poor pick. the book isnt written, but so far of the class of QBs taken that is currently playing, he looks like the worst by a landslide. Dalton, Newton, and Ponder all look much better.

The Colts got lucky to land Peyton Manning because San Diego could have easily drafted Manning and the Colts could of been the one dealing with the Ryan Leaf meltdown.

How do you figure? The Colts had the #1 pick in the draft, and they preferred Manning. How could San Diego have easily drafted Manning?

Archived