Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Charlotte Observer: Steve Smith vs. DeAngelo Hall sets up fiery confrontation

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Steve Smith vs. DeAngelo Hall sets up fiery confrontation

Panthers receiver Steve Smith and Washington Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall go way back.

Back to Hall calling a touchdown reception Smith made against him when he played for Atlanta in 2005 "a fluke play."

Back to Hall having dinner at Smith's house the night before the two would go at each other in a regular-season game at Bank of America Stadium.

Back to Hall melting down in a 2007 Panthers-Falcons game in the Georgia Dome when the fiery cornerback was flagged for a 37-yard pass interference call against Smith then picked up a 15-yard holding penalty and a 15-yard taunting penalty on the same Carolina touchdown drive before jawing with his coach, Bobby Petrino, on the sideline.

What was once a friendly relationship eventually hardened but Smith and Hall are likely to spend much of Sunday battling each other when the Redskins visit for a 1 p.m. game.

Continue reading this article..

The way DeAngelo, along with the rest of the secondary, has been found wanting more often than not this year I fear Smith will have the last laugh over him again Sunday.

Hail.

I fear the same. I aremember a play last week where Hall tried to intercept a pass and he was very close, but the receiver caught the ball instead and took it the distance and Hall was left on the ground. All he needed to do was bat the ball down and we are talking about the eagles scoring 7 less pts then they did last week.

Oh yea we lost by 7pts.

P.S. Carlose Rogers was our better cover corner and he has 3 picks and basically shut down Calvin Johnson last week

I fear the same. I aremember a play last week where Hall tried to intercept a pass and he was very close, but the receiver caught the ball instead and took it the distance and Hall was left on the ground. All he needed to do was bat the ball down and we are talking about the eagles scoring 7 less pts then they did last week.

Oh yea we lost by 7pts.

P.S. Carlose Rogers was our better cover corner and he has 3 picks and basically shut down Calvin Johnson last week

There was no such play. Eagles got into FG range after Vick hit Maclin deep. Hall was in position to INT and just missed it.

My God, our defense (including the secondary) has been a strength this entire season and all anyone can do is complain. This board is extremely annoying. You guys can't just not say something negative can you?

How about "I hope DHall gets himself a pick six like he's done many times before"? Is that too difficult? Is that out of the realm of possibilities in your angry minds?

There was no such play. Eagles got into FG range after Vick hit Maclin deep. Hall was in position to INT and just missed it.

My God, our defense (including the secondary) has been a strength this entire season and all anyone can do is complain. This board is extremely annoying. You guys can't just not say something negative can you?

How about "I hope DHall gets himself a pick six like he's done many times before"? Is that too difficult? Is that out of the realm of possibilities in your angry minds?

You hit the nail right on the head man. Its why I rarely post here...and why I can hardly read any of the posts anymore.

why? He gets burned in coverage by big time receivers and can't tackle still

He's gotten beat once this season, and it was a zero blitz man coverage against the top 3 WR in the NFL. D Hall's issue with tackling is if he has help on the tackle he will go for the strip. He tackles fine when he's in 1 on 1. You guys making up plays about D. Hall and calling him terrible is totally absurd. He's been a good CB for us, not great, but good and solid. He try's to make plays and i'm okay with that.

The redskins are tied for first for only allowing 8 touchdowns in 5 games. Deangelo hall was beaten by larry fitzgerald, arguably one of the best wide receivers in the game, for a touchdown. Aside from that, I have no idea what you are talking about. He also makes great open field tackles when 1v1 with the receiver on the sideline.

Now this is where I assume you don't pay much attention to how the play broke down at all. DHall is left by himself with no safety support over the top. Dhall anticipates the rush will get to kevin kolb and force him to throw the ball. That is when DHall jumps the route. Instead the kolb manages to buy time and throw it past Dhall and into an open Fitzgerald.

You can't throw a CB out there and expect him to go 1v1 with great WRs and cover them for 10-15 seconds. Perhaps you should take a closer look at plays before screaming, "DHall is garbage, lets replace him immediately durrrrrrrr"

D.Hall does take alot of risk. He is a high risk - high reward type corner, a gambler so to speak. Thus the reason he gives up big plays, yet and still is among the career leaders in INTs since entering the league. But to say he still cant tackle is downright preposterous. He used to miss lots of tackles but has drastically improved!!

In no way am I saying Hall is your modern day Darrell Green but this team would look a whole lot worse w/o him in the secondary.

This Thread is too funny. First folks wanted Rogers gone and now he has a few interceptions now that was the wrong move in getting rid of him. D. Hall has made big plays for this team so why would they get rid of him. All corners get burnt..... If they trade Hall and we get someone that sucks you will have a thousands threads stating "why did we get rid of Hall".

I'm sure Carolina's OC wasn't warning Cam about Barnes or Westbrook.

Yes, Hall takes risks, and does get burned at times, causes me to throw my beer and kick my dog, but he is by far the best CB we have right now, and he does have an influence on most qb's; it is rare when a qb comes out and attacks Hall because

{A} he can catch

{B} CR couldn't catch a cold soaking wet in the Anarctic

{C} his risk taking does bait more inexperienced qb's.

I mentioned in another post regarding Hall getting personal fouls for his inability to keep his cool, but barring him being thrown out of a game, I think he will play with a cool head. I hope...

I can't say anything nice about Hall, so I won't say anything. On the bright side, I've been impressed with Josh Wilson so far this year, been solid in coverage for the most part.

I agree with the earlier poster about getting rid of DHall, but, as others have said, we have too many holes for CB to be a priority.

Hell, maybe Thompson can replace him the next couple of years. He'll certainly be cheaper than Hall's outrageous contract.

You and I have clearly been watching some very different games this year. :doh:
'

If your view is that the secondary's coverage and tackling hasn't been found wanting at times this year, then I guess indeed we have. In fact add the defense as a whole into the tackling category. As good as they've been, some of their tackling, basic fundamentals, has left a LOT to be desired.

Hail.

Archived