Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Young receivers

SkinfanAZ

It would definitely be nice to get the young kids on the field and let them produce; can't be any worse than what we've gotten out of the seasoned veterans. Okay, I understand that we don't have Jerry Sullivan coaching the receivers, but I find it extremely hard to believe that, even given the lockout, those guys can't make a contribution on offense.

That's a very good way of putting it.

He didn't look panicky.. even when the rush was all over him. He ignored it.. smartly. Stepped up, slid a little.

Nice to see.

Now if Only I could figure out why we spent so much time on the scoring drive he put together.. man we wasted about 2 minutes on that drive. Didn't look like much urgency.

~Bang

the sense of urgency, or lack thereof, remains a staple of the redskins franchise. ive seen the story before and saw this one coming as well. down by 2 scores at the start of the 4th, and it takes 4 minutes to get into field goal range then get pushed out of it. not to mention there were 5 incomplete passes and a timeout that drive. 4 minutes, really?

next possession is nearly identical with the lack of urgency, though we did score.

but it didnt matter, cuz i knew all along there was no way we'd be able to comeback (barring a defensive td) at that sluggish pace.

We have no QB.

I feel sorry for all of them

Gaffney had a bomb in the first half if grossman lays it out.. beat his man by 2 steps. Rex underthrew it by 5 yards. Pick.

Gaffney again was way behind the D when Grossman threw his pick on his unbelievably slow rollout.. everyone (including Gaffney was working back to the QB), and the DB covering Gaffney was out of position. Gaffney was five yards beyond him. All Grossman has to do is put some air under it. Instead he throws a bullet directly to the DB.

Davis is triple covered down the seam. INT. triple covered?

that means someone else was open. Why didn't Rex look at them?

(Hey,, he threw a pick on this play TWICE. The skinny post. The passing playbook is so limited for him it's not even funny.)

See the 3 WR streak play that got Austin his big catch?

They don't run that play for Rex.

Because it doesn't look to me like he's allowed more than one or two reads before being instructed to throw it away.

He zeroes in on receivers and doesn't look it off no matter HOW many defenders are there.. which often is 3 or 4.. That tells me either he stinks, which is entirely probable, or he stinks so much they won't let him have more than a single read.

We don't have great receivers.

But we have better than what Rex is doing for them.

~Bang

I think you may be onto something here. I don't remember when exactly, the beginning of the season or the offseason, but they interviewed Rex and asked him why he was doing so much better in DC than in Chicago... His answer was along the lines of saying that Kyle's offense makes him more "disciplined," the plays have a target that he was supposed to throw to all the time, and if that wasn't there, he would THEN go to the next target. It sounds a little bit like what you are trying to say. After that interview though, I remember Kyle quickly saying that that wasn't true, that the play wasn't "designed to go to one person," perhaps in fear of tipping off the defenses.

Another good thing about Beck is that the rollouts work much better with him, and rollouts are a staple of the Shanny's O. Hope the O can pick up the slack.

This whole "Can't separate" business is for the birds. Seriously, did any of you watch the Cowboys/Patriots game? Look at some of the throws in that game. Those WRs weren't open by 5 yards on most receptions, it comes down to the QB having the ability to deliver the ball where it needs to be, or not.

Gaffney was open deep, as was Fred Davis, on more than few occasions and Rex simply missed the throws.....again.

The NFL is where the men are separated from the boys.

P.S. I am sure Cowboys/Pats will be on NFL Replay this week. If nothing else, watch the final TD drive from Brady to win the game, more specifically the TD pass into the endzone to the Tight End. You can't tell me that he was open more than a half step running across the endzone. Brady delivered the ball where it needed to be.

These guys are our most reliable, healthy receivers and we are still a team in contention. So long as that's the case, the young guys are going to have to work hard for their opportunity. Shanahan has already said that he thinks Paul is almost at that point. Clearly Hankerson is not.

But we aren't in contention (or at least not for anything really worth being in contention for (maybe we are in contention to not be a bad team)).

This is the same issue as last year with McNabb, and if there had been a realization earlier that McNabb wasn't going to get it done, we could have moved onto Grossman earlier, which means we might have moved beyond Grossman last year.

And you wouldn't have wasted 5 games this year figuring out that Grossman wasn't going to be good enough to take you where you want to go (at least w/ anything resembling the current roster).

Archived