Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Young receivers

SkinfanAZ

We have no QB.

I feel sorry for all of them

Gaffney had a bomb in the first half if grossman lays it out.. beat his man by 2 steps. Rex underthrew it by 5 yards. Pick.

Gaffney again was way behind the D when Grossman threw his pick on his unbelievably slow rollout.. everyone (including Gaffney was working back to the QB), and the DB covering Gaffney was out of position. Gaffney was five yards beyond him. All Grossman has to do is put some air under it. Instead he throws a bullet directly to the DB.

Davis is triple covered down the seam. INT. triple covered?

that means someone else was open. Why didn't Rex look at them?

(Hey,, he threw a pick on this play TWICE. The skinny post. The passing playbook is so limited for him it's not even funny.)

See the 3 WR streak play that got Austin his big catch?

They don't run that play for Rex.

Because it doesn't look to me like he's allowed more than one or two reads before being instructed to throw it away.

He zeroes in on receivers and doesn't look it off no matter HOW many defenders are there.. which often is 3 or 4.. That tells me either he stinks, which is entirely probable, or he stinks so much they won't let him have more than a single read.

We don't have great receivers.

But we have better than what Rex is doing for them.

~Bang

NFL.com agrees with you lol...

Simplfying Grossman

NFL.com agrees with you lol...

Simplfying Grossman

Yeah, Billick calls me sometimes

:silly:

Actually i saw that this week, and while i thought it was pretty apparent they were simplifying things, today was just ridiculous.

It truly looked like he had one read and was to get rid of it if it wasn't there.

He simply forced way too many for it to be anything else.

BTW, Playbook, which is the show that is from, is the BEST X&O show on TV. (Hell .. it's the only one. I'll say it's the best NFL preview show.)

They give good info, real chalk talk as if you actually know a little something. Shows a lot of things you don't see in game action.

They do one for AFC and NFC. I DVR both each week.

~Bang

On an offense that is absolutely starved for playmakers, how in the hell is Hankerson still riding the bench?

People here tell me it's because he doesn't play Special Teams. Why is that? Does he not wear pads or a helmet?

Can he not run or tackle?

If this truely is a rebuild, Shanny needs to stop ***** footin around and see what he has in these young guys, because the old vets aren't giving us much of anything.

On an offense that is absolutely starved for playmakers, how in the hell is Hankerson still riding the bench?

Doesn't play special teams, apparently still need to show in practice that he understands the plays and the routes.

And what the team needs is simply a better QB. There were some long gainers there to be had, but Rex **** the bed and either missed guys open behind the secondary or threw INTs while trying to hit them. Most of these guys would magically turn into playmakers with an upgrade behind center.

Terrence Austin made a nice grab today. Keep him in the starting mix. Hankerson, I still have no idea why he can't even get up to speed enough to be active. He is a WR for gawd sakes, is it too much to come in anytime the team is inside the opposing 30 and run a fade route, or take a route across the intermediate middle of the field and be a big possession WR?

I really hope we don't have another Thomas/Kelly situation on our hands.

AA isn't a good wr either he's just fast and can get deep he doesn't have great hands and runs bad routes pre injury he wasn't productive with drops. Time to let Hankerson and Paul get some real time and get some balls thrown their way. Gaffney is just a solid vet who isn't athletic enough to make things happen. Moss would be more effective if teams didn't roll as much coverage his way.

AA has decent hands. Sure, he drops the ball every now and then (as most #2, #3, and #4 receivers are wont to do) but he's also capable of hauling in some very tough passes. I kind of get the feeling you're faulting him for that one interception that bounced off AA's outstretched hand and likely failed to notice that the DB was pulling on his other arm.

It's very easy for opposing defenses to take Moss completely out of the game; a competent offensive coordinator understands that and plans accordingly.

Kyle Shanahan's strong suit is designing passing plays; he's very, very effective at designing plays that get the receivers open. I'm beginning to wonder a bit about his overall competence at managing an entire offense and calling plays. Just how much autonomy did he have in Houston, or was Kubiak really running that offense?

Kubiak had a fairly heavy hand in the offense but Kyle's responsibilities and influence was growing rapidly during his short stay there.

There's no reason that our top 3 WR should be Moss, Stallworth, and Gaffney any more.

These guys are our most reliable, healthy receivers and we are still a team in contention. So long as that's the case, the young guys are going to have to work hard for their opportunity. Shanahan has already said that he thinks Paul is almost at that point. Clearly Hankerson is not.

Well, you could make the argument that 10 becomes less valuable with 8 being benched. It might be a nice opportunity to give some young guys a look and shake the passing game up a bit. Then again, that might be something you look to do a little later in the year once we lose a couple games in a row.

Exactly.

Is Hankerson a playmaker in the NFL? Could it actually be that he may be more of a liability on the field than an asset at this point?

If this truely is a rebuild, Shanny needs to stop ***** footin around and see what he has in these young guys, because the old vets aren't giving us much of anything.

This is not a "**** this season and next season, we're building for tomorrow" rebuild. This is an attempt to do what a well-run organization like the Steelers is able to do and stay relevant year after year after year without ever completely starting from scratch.

Hell remember back when the Michael Westbrook era was coming to a rocky close, Leslie Shepard & Albert Connel seemed to perform well due to being young & fast. Sure they fizzled out later, but at the rate we are going we need to get younger & faster in the WR position.

The problem right now is that the Redskins don't have the ability to stretch the field.

anybody else get the feeling that our receivers cant seperate, dont make plays on the ball, and rarely catch the ball in stride for some YAC. its like every catch is way to close, the defensive coverage is always right there ready to make a play. we lack playmakers on offense (in addition to other things). the disparity between the eagles' wrs and ours was huge today.

at some point, you've got to let the young guys play consistently and see if they can do what our starters seem incapable of. i think that time is now.

anybody else get the feeling that our receivers cant seperate, dont make plays on the ball, and rarely catch the ball in stride for some YAC.

I don't. They get open, and they make plays on the ball even if they don't always come down with it.

And the "catch the ball in stride" is more a function of how well the QB is playing than how well the WR is doing.

I don't. They get open, and they make plays on the ball even if they don't always come down with it.

And the "catch the ball in stride" is more a function of how well the QB is playing than how well the WR is doing.

our wide receivers are weak at making plays on the ball. and i understand that this production is def. a product of qb and wr. but it seems like the above problems have plagued us for a long time. we just dont have playmakers in addition to poor qb play.

i mean when was the last time we had a receiver catch a 30 yard pass, make a move and take it to the house. these things happen almost every week for other teams. they hardly ever happen with ours.

If every week teams shut down moss who else can we depend on? The rest of the starters are not producing. So why not put the young hungry guys in? we are losing games we should win hands down. So what would it matter.

In watching our QB underthrow open receivers by five yards, there's no way I can put the bame on them.

Today's game saw Gaffney beyond the defense twice, and short throws were picked.

~Bang

Not defending Rex here, but there were a lot of passes today that should have been, if not caught, at least contended.

The WRs need to start making plays on the ball instead of waiting for every pass to fall into their laps. Again, not defending Rex, but today there were certainly others that played like crap, who could've given more of an effort and perhaps made a difference, but didn't

Whether youth is the answer or not, I don't know. All I know is there needs to be aggressive athletes out on that field at all times. Young or old---if you don't want to play like an athlete--hard fast, and HUNGRY--step aside.

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 12:36 AM ----------

Ups to T. Austin today, though. A for effort!

+10

Not defending Rex here, but there were a lot of passes today that should have been, if not caught, at least contended.

The WRs need to start making plays on the ball instead of waiting for every pass to fall into their laps. Again, not defending Rex, but today there were certainly others that played like crap, who could've given more of an effort and perhaps made a difference, but didn't

Whether youth is the answer or not, I don't know. All I know is there needs to be aggressive athletes out on that field at all times. Young or old---if you don't want to play like an athlete--hard fast, and HUNGRY--step aside.

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 12:36 AM ----------

Ups to T. Austin today, though. A for effort!

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 12:41 AM ----------

Isaw balls under thrown and balls that should have been up feild more. When teams shut down moss (aa is out) all we have is fred davis and our run game. We used draft picks for wr so why not use them and get them hands on. So at least we know what we have.

In watching our QB underthrow open receivers by five yards, there's no way I can put the bame on them.

Today's game saw Gaffney beyond the defense twice, and short throws were picked.

~Bang

When teams shut down moss (aa is out) all we have is fred davis and our run game. .

I disagree with this.. sort of.. I think it's more a case that this is all he's given as options on pass plays. read A, read B, or get rid of it. (and lots of times i wonder if he even has the B read in there. Sometimes it looks like it's one read, and throw it away if it's not there. I had that impression several times today, not just on his bad throws, but throws he got rid of out of bounds looked to be very quick.

Gaffney had several chances today,, two thrown to him in which he was past everyone were woefully underthrown... like by 5 yards.

Stallworth had a couple of niuce plays, but one bad drop.

Austin.. man, I do agree there,, get this young man on the field. In preseason he's nothing but positive. And now the first time they throw to him in the regular season he makes the big play. Beautiful fingertip catch. I think we could be seeing a budding playmaker there, but we need to see more of him.

Throw it to Paul, i see him in there. Hit him once on a short curl. Bust his cherry. Throw him a bubble screen and see what his speed and physicality can do.

Hank, I'm willing to wait til he's ready,, but I'd like that to be sometime soon.

But in all honesty, I think mostly the reason it may seem so is that Grossman is only given two reads.. if that. Sometimes it's only one. He doesn't survey the field, and I don't think it's due to his impatience, I think he's told if A isn't open, throw it away. Maybe check B sometimes.

But we don't see the checkdowns... never the dump off to the back in the flat or a TE camped out underneath for emergencies. Instead we see him throw into crowds like today. 3 guys around Davis means someone is open somewhere.. But Rex either doesn't look, or isn't given the option. And given Rex's self confidence, I think he feels that if he only has one read, he's going to throw it and make it happen. He forces it, and we see his results.

The receivers and ths gameplan could only mask his deficiencies for so long.

Conversely, Beck did survey the field. When he bought time, he used it with his eyes downfield. There were patterns in there that he threw that I haven't seen run with Rex, specifically the throw to Austin.

~Bang

Conversely, Beck did survey the field. When he bought time, he used it with his eyes downfield. There were patterns in there that he threw that I haven't seen run with Rex, specifically the throw to Austin.

Agreed, which is why Beck has to start next week. He can move the pocket and create successful plays instead of forcing ones that never have a snowball's chance. Beck makes the game come to him instead of the ass backwards way around.

Hopefully if I have time I will look at the game again and see how he survey.

I disagree with this.. sort of.. I think it's more a case that this is all he's given as options on pass plays. read A, read B, or get rid of it. (and lots of times i wonder if he even has the B read in there. Sometimes it looks like it's one read, and throw it away if it's not there. I had that impression several times today, not just on his bad throws, but throws he got rid of out of bounds looked to be very quick.

Gaffney had several chances today,, two thrown to him in which he was past everyone were woefully underthrown... like by 5 yards.

Stallworth had a couple of niuce plays, but one bad drop.

Austin.. man, I do agree there,, get this young man on the field. In preseason he's nothing but positive. And now the first time they throw to him in the regular season he makes the big play. Beautiful fingertip catch. I think we could be seeing a budding playmaker there, but we need to see more of him.

Throw it to Paul, i see him in there. Hit him once on a short curl. Bust his cherry. Throw him a bubble screen and see what his speed and physicality can do.

Hank, I'm willing to wait til he's ready,, but I'd like that to be sometime soon.

But in all honesty, I think mostly the reason it may seem so is that Grossman is only given two reads.. if that. Sometimes it's only one. He doesn't survey the field, and I don't think it's due to his impatience, I think he's told if A isn't open, throw it away. Maybe check B sometimes.

But we don't see the checkdowns... never the dump off to the back in the flat or a TE camped out underneath for emergencies. Instead we see him throw into crowds like today. 3 guys around Davis means someone is open somewhere.. But Rex either doesn't look, or isn't given the option. And given Rex's self confidence, I think he feels that if he only has one read, he's going to throw it and make it happen. He forces it, and we see his results.

The receivers and ths gameplan could only mask his deficiencies for so long.

~Bang

Agreed, which is why Beck has to start next week. He can move the pocket and create successful plays instead of forcing ones that never have a snowball's chance. Beck makes the game come to him instead of the ass backwards way around.

That's a very good way of putting it.

He didn't look panicky.. even when the rush was all over him. He ignored it.. smartly. Stepped up, slid a little.

Nice to see.

Now if Only I could figure out why we spent so much time on the scoring drive he put together.. man we wasted about 2 minutes on that drive. Didn't look like much urgency.

~Bang

Archived