Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our O-line play as a whole has been vastly improved

Malcomb Kelly's Knees

Aside from a few stupid penalties our O-line has come together as a group nicely.

The days of seeing our entire interior o-line get blown up on consecutive plays is over, monty hasn't played great but hes been a hell of an improvement over what we've seen from rabach over the last few years.

Trent has really developed into a premier pass blocker if he could cut the holds down he could be a pro bowler.

The difference between Week 1 Trent and Week 4 Trent is borderline unbelievable...if he keeps this up he'll be one of the best in the league

It truly is shocking. The announcers mentioned running to the left side behind Trent and Kory has had significantly different results than running to the right. That's the impression that I've gotten from this, but would like to see actual stats if possible.

I wish we would run the ball straight up the middle more. But I guess our line is built to be more of a stretch running team and not a push you back power running attack. I do feel like the occasional run up the middle will keep the defense guessing though. It's either stretch left or stretch right, that is our running game, with the RB picking the best hole to cut up the field. But yes the offensive line as played much better than last year, very impressed so far.

I'm impressed by Lichtensteiger. I thought he was pretty much a stopgap scrub but he is solid.

He's playing better than Chester is at the moment. Actually the pairing of Trent and Lichtensteiger has produced a better running game than Brown and Chester have on the right side.

They still need to add depth across the board on the OL. Great teams always have someone ready to step up for an aging vet.

Sometimes I feel like we could make better holes in the running game, but in the passing game yeah our line looks pretty damn competent.

Completely agree with this. All season long, Grossman has had ample time and space to make his reads and make throws. He's barely been hit out there, and he's probably one of the least mobile QBs in the league. For how unheralded this group of guys are, pulled together mostly from the scrap heap, they've done a superb job in pass protection.

been saying it all season the offense line has been amazing. rabach was so bad and it heyer and hicks dockery all were terrible. so far brown healthy chester and montgomery look crazy good. all major improvements, locklear smith and cook are also all young good depth. and havent been needed nearly as much and it seems ms only needing 8 so far has worked knock on wood.

Sometimes I feel like we could make better holes in the running game, but in the passing game yeah our line looks pretty damn competent.

Zone blocking takes much more time to perfect than it does to play pass pro. Pass pro is simply a player on an island blocking. He doesn't have to have much interaction with his linemates.

Zone blocking on the other hand is all about coordination and timing. Something that this team hasn't had allot of time to work on, due to the lockout and having a new player and a player playing a new position.

This is one of my favorite nfl.com videos. Billick talks about the ZBS and how Shanny with Denver ran this over and over in practice. Your OL needs to be together for a few years to be masters of this as the Broncos were.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d80aec9cf/Billick-on-Denver-s-zone-blocking-scheme

One other thing is the RB's. The only RB on the roster that has true ZBS experience in the pros is Torrain. Hightower and Helu are just seeing this for the first time.

This is one of my favorite nfl.com videos. Billick talks about the ZBS and how Shanny with Denver ran this over and over in practice. Your OL needs to be together for a few years to be masters of this as the Broncos were.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d80aec9cf/Billick-on-Denver-s-zone-blocking-scheme

Yo, this video was sweet. You can definitely see the Skins play style in those Denver clips. Chances are we will have a new player int he line next season though, no?

Yo, this video was sweet. You can definitely see the Skins play style in those Denver clips. Chances are we will have a new player int he line next season though, no?

I don't see anyone getting replaced next year, unless they are unhappy with Brown. He may be the only one but I doubt that. This group needs time to gel and learn how to work with, anticipate and trust one another.

been saying it all season the offense line has been amazing. rabach was so bad and it heyer and hicks dockery all were terrible. so far brown healthy chester and montgomery look crazy good. all major improvements, locklear smith and cook are also all young good depth. and havent been needed nearly as much and it seems ms only needing 8 so far has worked knock on wood.

Locklear is like 30 or 31. We still need young depth at OT besides the UDFA Willie Smith. We also don't have a backup Guard. So, young depth there would be good as well.

Not entirely sold on Chester yet, but the season's still young, and he's transitioning his blocking style in a shortened offseason, so we'll see.

Locklear is like 30 or 31. We still need young depth at OT besides the UDFA Willie Smith. We also don't have a backup Guard. So, young depth there would be good as well.

Not entirely sold on Chester yet, but the season's still young, and he's transitioning his blocking style in a shortened offseason, so we'll see.

Lichensteiger didn't start all that well last year either. At times, he looked like a Heyer-level type player at LG. He's developed nicely and forms a good tandem on the left with Williams. Hopefully we see a similar improvement with Chester on the year.

Have to imagine we'll look to add offensive line depth in the middle of the draft this year. Jamaal Brown will need replacing but it very probably won't be this offseason, unless there's an elite tackle available in free agency. Wouldn't surprise me to see us target a tackle in the 2nd round or so of the 2013 draft... looking ahead a bit ;)

Archived