Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants game plan was clearly to stop the run and force Grossman to beat them

E-Dog Night

And he did! Which is fantastic news for the Redskins, because two things happened of significance in this game:

Rex showed that he can throw the ball all over the field to multiple receivers, so there's no one person for the defense to key on.

Rex showed he can beat te blitz (the fumble notwithstanding - that is on Trent Williams, mostly).

So I fully expect Hightower to break some big runs against other teams. This offense will be more balanced in future games.

Hail!

I don't agree! Hightower did not have big breaks because run play calling was diferent than preseason. They ran outside the end, you cant do that in this league. And htey tried to run power off tackle like in years passed and it failed. Hihgtower is a down the hill and against the grain slash back runner. They gave him very few chances on calls today.

I don't agree! Hightower did not have big breaks because run play calling was diferent than preseason. They ran outside the end, you cant do that in this league. And htey tried to run power off tackle like in years passed and it failed. Hihgtower is a down the hill and against the grain slash back runner. They gave him very few chances on calls today.

It was driving me nuts. I kept calling it: "here comes stretch left for zero yards". But I think what happened is that Hightower had a little bit of success early on taking the stretch plays to the outside, so he kept on trying that. It really appeared to me that the giants figured out early that if you stuff the first cutback lane, Hightower ran to the sidelines, and they could just use that as their 12th defender.

Seemed really apparent that that's what the Giants #1 priority was. Because they knew that if that part of the game starts working, then all the bootlegs and other play action becomes much more deadly.

Playing the percentages from past performances, the more times you make Grossman drop back, it almost a given that he's gonna give up the cookies at some point. And he almost did. Give it up to the defense for stopping the giants after Rex's fumble.

It was driving me nuts. I kept calling it: "here comes stretch left for zero yards". But I think what happened is that Hightower had a little bit of success early on taking the stretch plays to the outside, so he kept on trying that. It really appeared to me that the giants figured out early that if you stuff the first cutback lane, Hightower ran to the sidelines, and they could just use that as their 12th defender.

Seemed really apparent that that's what the Giants #1 priority was. Because they knew that if that part of the game starts working, then all the bootlegs and other play action becomes much more deadly.

Playing the percentages from past performances, the more times you make Grossman drop back, it almost a given that he's gonna give up the cookies at some point. And he almost did. Give it up to the defense for stopping the giants after Rex's fumble.

I cannot disagree with you on anything, I believe your assesment is dead on! I love his effort, and I love rooting for a young team. HAIL brother!!!

Rex just needs to remember to get rid of the ball when the rush is near him

Hell, just tuck the damn thing away and don't hold it like it's a torch guiding your way in a dark hallway.

While I do blame Williams for the pressure - I mean the defender just went right fricken by him - Rex didn't do himself any favors by holding the ball outside his body like he was still looking for someone to throw to while in the process of getting sacked.

I don't know what game you guys saw, but I can't wait to see Ryan Torain carry the ball next week, 2 yards a carry even against a stacked line is not acceptable.

All I know is if the game was tied 21-21 we couldn't move the ball and would lose 24-21.

If it wasn't for a garbage couple of runs Hightower would have finished with 20 carries and 50 yards. Those numbers are called being benched in the NFL. I don't care if they had 15 guys on the line.

I don't know what game you guys saw, but I can't wait to see Ryan Torain carry the ball next week, 2 yards a carry even against a stacked line is not acceptable.

All I know is if the game was tied 21-21 we couldn't move the ball and would lose 24-21.

If it wasn't for a garbage couple of runs Hightower would have finished with 20 carries and 50 yards. Those numbers are called being benched in the NFL. I don't care if they had 15 guys on the line.

Torain would have done nothing against the giants. he is slow and brittle.

The zone stretch that is the staple of our offense has 3 basic reads. If the cutback (belly) gap is filled, look at the tackle gap, if it's filled, take it to the outside. Thing is, there is only two ways to fill all the gaps, you are either cheating or I'm not executing. Our running game will work best when we're executing and they are on their heels. That the Giants planned to force Grossman to win and Grossman stepped to the challenge means you should not surprised if we start killing teams with the run. Remember, we had absolutely no semblance of a run game last year until the second half of the third game and had to abandon it because we got down too fast.

And he did! Which is fantastic news for the Redskins, because two things happened of significance in this game:

Rex showed that he can throw the ball all over the field to multiple receivers, so there's no one person for the defense to key on.

Rex showed he can beat te blitz (the fumble notwithstanding - that is on Trent Williams, mostly).

So I fully expect Hightower to break some big runs against other teams. This offense will be more balanced in future games.

Hail!

Absolutely, couldn't agree more. It was obvious and it obviously didn't work out. The Redskins nearly matched the Giants rushing total as well. The Sex Canon scares the crap out of me sometimes because of his past, but he was on point today.

HTTR

Archived