Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN - Grinding it out: The uphill battle for American Rugby

GoSkins561

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/02/us/collegiate-rugby-battle/index.html

Even with Rugby being introduced via childrens leagues, Rugby will always be "underground" in the United States.

(CNN) -- In summer 2010, Big Sky High School graduate and football star Glen Maricelli began a grueling 2,170-mile drive from Missoula, Montana, for a collegiate tryout in Marietta, Georgia. It was the farthest from home he had ever been. His goal was a chance to continue his athletic success.

Four days later, he arrived in Georgia, exhausted. An hour after that, Maricelli was trying out for the Running Eagles squad, sprinting for fitness tests in the sweltering Georgia summer heat.

Gasping for air and dripping with sweat, Maricelli couldn't be happier.

"When you're running those sprints, lifting those weights and running up hills, it sucks at the time," he said. "But right when you're done, everyone is out of breath and looking all around, it's like 'yes, it was worth it. That was good.' "

A football running back known for scoring three touchdowns in a game, Maricelli discovered rugby in high school as a way to condition. Rather than rely on the controlling coaching aspect of football, rugby allowed Maricelli and his teammates to run the plays and run the game.

The sport became his passion, so he put his football days behind him and looked for a college rugby program.

Now a sophomore at Life University in Marietta, Maricelli plays for one of the top varsity rugby teams in the U.S. But for most colleges, rugby is considered at best a second-grade niche sport.

*Click Link For More*

IMO, one of the barriers to rugby being taken seriously here is that it is too wrapped in the social scene and as being a very violent game. I played competitively in Ireland, but talk here is of it being a game only for "hard men" (or even thugs) and hard drinkers. That attitude typically existed only on the lower club teams from players who didn't get it in Ireland and England. While some positions demand a nose tackle mentality, most are far from it.

I went out of state to college and didn't keep in contact with many friends in high school. When I started a new job, a coworker told me to come out and play rugby. Get some exercise and find a group of good guys to socialize with. That was 6 years ago and I have been to Ireland and Argentina with my club. The team made Nationals last season and is looking for the same result this year. I have made friends for life playing rugby.

Yes, rugby is a violent sport. I have cracked a rib, had surgery on my left ankle, and am currently hurt with a lower back injury. All in good fun though. Play hard and party hard. You destroy the other team on the pitch then go drink afterwards.

Rugby can be bigger in the US, but the big 4 won't let it happen. Hopefully, rugby 7s in the next Olympics will do a lot for the game. US is the defending champions by the way.

I went out of state to college and didn't keep in contact with many friends in high school. When I started a new job, a coworker told me to come out and play rugby. Get some exercise and find a group of good guys to socialize with. That was 6 years ago and I have been to Ireland and Argentina with my club. The team made Nationals last season and is looking for the same result this year. I have made friends for life playing rugby.

Yes, rugby is a violent sport. I have cracked a rib, had surgery on my left ankle, and am currently hurt with a lower back injury. All in good fun though. Play hard and party hard. You destroy the other team on the pitch then go drink afterwards.

Rugby can be bigger in the US, but the big 4 won't let it happen. Hopefully, rugby 7s in the next Olympics will do a lot for the game. US is the defending champions by the way.

:ols: Not in 7's, we are the defending Olympic champs though. The fly half I played with in college was capped with the Eagles 7's squad and US Atlantis, they pretty much got schooled when they went to Fiji.

IMO, one of the barriers to rugby being taken seriously here is that it is too wrapped in the social scene and as being a very violent game. I played competitively in Ireland, but talk here is of it being a game only for "hard men" (or even thugs) and hard drinkers. That attitude typically existed only on the lower club teams from players who didn't get it in Ireland and England. While some positions demand a nose tackle mentality, most are far from it.

The old Oscar Wilde quote said that 'rugby was a game for barbarians played by gentlemen and football ('soccer') was a game for gentlemen played by barbarians', so I guess the initial point of view could be the sticking point with some. There was always the image in the UK too that the highest levels of the sport only picked players that were inavriably from well-off, public schools.

Certainly seems to be a big push on things like Sky Sports for a much bigger coverage of 7's tournaments at international level and would I think encourage player involvement in the US.

If you play 7's by the way you are playing a Scots version of the game, thought up by rugby teams in the Scottish Borders for a tournament many, many years ago.

Archived