Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grantland's Mega NFL Preview: Part I "Sorry, but these eight teams have no shot in 2011." (Redskins"

daveakl

Much like the football outsiders preview of the skins, Barnwell (a football outsiders alum) has mailed this section in.

Barn well, though for the most part very good, has zero objectivity towards the skins. This is been a theme for years. Probably has to do with the fact that he is a Giants fan (though again, he at least tries with other East teams).

Well I'll tell you this; I remember last year. And the year before that, and so on. I also remember the feelings that went along with watching all those games. Despair, and seething beyond measure.

All that said, (and by NO MEANS am I drinking the Kool-Aid) I haven't felt as good about the team in say the last five years, as I do right now.

The pre-season was a good one for us. We pretty much handed people their lunch in any of the first halves.

Hopes springs eternal, my friends. 10-6 is DEFINITELY doable. We will beat the Giants this time around, anyway.

:rolleyes: This is how I know we are gonna be better than anyone expects. Despite a very solid pre season the Skins are being written off as the worst team ever. If anyone of these so called "experts" watched this team at all they would know they are NOT the same ol' Redskins. We are not going 13-3 or 14-2 but we are far from 2-14 /3-13 most ESPN "experts" claim we are destined for. I don't think we will finish last in the NFCE this year..that's my personal "bold" prediciton.

Keep the rave reviews coming guys ;)

The guy said the Dolphins were the best team of those 8. The DOLPHINS.

Regarding the 3-13 argument, I'd just like to point out that we beat BOTH of the representatives of the NFC Championship game.

The 0-4 part where we got outscored 81 points was a nice nitpicking stat as well. The Eagles game had very little to do with skewing that stat.

Finally, the author is a cop out. He added this little gem:

The shorter schedule means that there's more likely to be a random season in which the Redskins get lucky and make the playoffs, in much the same way that there are 16-game stretches where the Orioles have a better record than the Red Sox or Yankees, but they are eons behind the rest of the division and too proud to burn the whole thing down and start over again.

Apparently just to cover the event that the Redskins DO make the playoffs, he can say...yeah, it was just a fluke because of the shortened offseason. Nevermind that every single team had a shortened offseason and so that's a retarded argument.

There are a lot of articles out there about the Redskins doing bad this year but there also are a lot of football minds out there saying watch out for the team. I don't pay attention to that stuff because i like being the underdog. If we make it to the Playoffs just watch how they jump on the bandwagon. It will be Absolutely Disgusting!

One of the things I love about ES is that people post articles like this on here. I would hate to have inadvertently opened this article from "their" (whoever they are) website and give them any kind of ratings, for garbage like this.

I stopped at "paying fat boy" and Stephen Bowen being the turds backup. FYI (whoever they are), Bowen was slated as the 2011 starter for the turds. But whatever helps "their" (whoever they are) article seem like something it is not....that is, KNOWLEDGEABLE!!

Its like getting out of your car in the morning, listening to Cowherd, then getting back in later and accidently giving tony mercurrio ratings...That pisses me off! That guy is the worst I have ever heard.

BTW- How long does a TV or radio station have to be on for them to get ratings for that?

What a wasted article with little content on why these moron's said we have no shot. It seems everyone in the media are singing the same tune this year as years past. The Redskins are spending money unwisely, Dan Snyder is running the team like a fantasy team, etc.. When will they actually do a real analysis of their chances instead of doing the same thing each year. Tha is why I am hoping that we win the NFC East this year and do some damage in the playoffs just to shut up those knuckleheads that keep labeling us the worst team in football. As they say, history repeats itself and who knows what happens this year.

Barnwell is pretty smart, though hardly perfect. And while I'm one of the few here who think the Redskins free agent signings really weren't all that different from past offseasons (people keep claiming this team went after names, yet the vast majority of past signings were not names nor bad signings), I don't think that's a bad thing. You can argue Cofield and/or Bowen are overpaid, but that's sort of the nature of free agency. Most sought after guys get a few dollars more than they deserve. It's the nature of the free market. It's still not a bad set of moves given the Redskins current salary situation.

Now I'm not touting these are the "same old Redskins" as Barnwell seems to do. Yes, the free agency really isn't all that different. But where the Cerrato Redskins really failed was in the draft and in trades. And yes, the Allen/Shanahan regime already has one stinker trade on its books (McNabb).. But its really way too early to consider Cerrato and Allen/Shanahan the same. Particularly since Cerrato set the bar so low.

That said, I fully expect the team to struggle, so saying they have no shot (I assume at winning the Super Bowl) is fair.

The McNabb trade definately had a Cerrato stank to it except he would have gave up a 1st rounder guranteed. Quality trades like Jammal Brown, Gaffney, and Hightower are very UnCerrato like. Especially Hightower...we got him for a bag of chips.

Archived