Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grantland's Mega NFL Preview: Part I "Sorry, but these eight teams have no shot in 2011." (Redskins"

daveakl

"Washington Redskins

Odds to win the NFC East: +2360

Redskins fans didn't get much out of the 2010 season, but they got a whole lot of close games. The Redskins were in 12 games decided by a touchdown or less, the first time since 2003 that a team was in so many close games in one year. They went 6-6, which means that Redskins fans can make the case that they were a few lucky bounces away from the playoffs, while people who hate the Redskins can point out that they were a few lucky bounces away from 3-13. In the four games that weren't close, Washington went 0-4 and was outscored by 81 points. The haters have it.

Of course, the Redskins then went and had a typical Daniel Snyder offseason. After clearing the decks by dumping their old, high-priced veterans and insulting them on the way out, they replaced them by overpaying new free agents. Instead of paying Albert Haynesworth, the Redskins now have the pleasure of giving former Giants tackle Barry Cofield and Cowboys backup end Stephen Bowen more money than they deserve. They devoted too much money to a defensive back, signing O.J. Atogwe away from the Rams as one of the few pre-lockout free agents to leave the market. They spent too much on one of their own, re-signing Santana Moss as he comes off a career year at 32. And then they finally traded Donovan McNabb and replaced him with god knows what.

The Redskins are basically stuck in the same spot where the Orioles were at the beginning of the millennium. They have an owner who is comfortable spending and a fan base that expects to win, but they're trapped in a division with other teams that are also comfortable doing that and smarter about where and how they spend their gold. The shorter schedule means that there's more likely to be a random season in which the Redskins get lucky and make the playoffs, in much the same way that there are 16-game stretches where the Orioles have a better record than the Red Sox or Yankees, but they are eons behind the rest of the division and too proud to burn the whole thing down and start over again. Unless the Shanaclan can somehow recycle a franchise quarterback from the energy they used bad-mouthing McNabb on his way out, it's going to be a long few years in Washington. At least the stadium has Ben's Chili Bowl now.

Best-case scenario: Whoa, John Beck has secretly been a great NFL quarterback waiting for a chance these past few years! And who would have thought that Michael Vick, Eli Manning, and Tony Romo sits to pee would have all been in that ATV right before it crashed?

Worst-case scenario: BE THE REDSKINS."

Full Article: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6918507/part-i

Fun times ahead with this one :)

What pisses me off about this whole article is how we make SMART additions to this team at needed positions and we get blasted for it. If we would have went out and signed Nnamdi and traded for Carson Palmer we would be getting labeled the same old Redskins. The only thing that will end these articles are winning. But Im sure once that starts it will be blamed more on the other teams injuries or "catching them on a bad day".

Funny how many articles you read about the cap hell the Cowboys are in, or the 1st and 3rd round picks they traded for Roy Williams who they just cut. I dont expect us to win the SB this year but to be in contention for the last wildcard spot is not out of the question. I expect no more then 9 wins and no less then 6. How can they honestly say that we haven't "torn it down"? 12 rookies who are ALL in prime position to make the final 53, with exception for Jenkins who would have made it anyway. We went from the oldest team in the NFL to one of the youngest.

if you read the entire article, the guy gives an informed opinion on every team. when it gets to the redskins, it doesnt even seem like he tried. such bull****.

No, he doesn't. The Bears being one of the worst? You have to be kidding me. He got half of his facts completely wrong on them, anyway.

These guy is a grade-A **** up.

Barnwell is pretty smart, though hardly perfect. And while I'm one of the few here who think the Redskins free agent signings really weren't all that different from past offseasons (people keep claiming this team went after names, yet the vast majority of past signings were not names nor bad signings), I don't think that's a bad thing. You can argue Cofield and/or Bowen are overpaid, but that's sort of the nature of free agency. Most sought after guys get a few dollars more than they deserve. It's the nature of the free market. It's still not a bad set of moves given the Redskins current salary situation.

Now I'm not touting these are the "same old Redskins" as Barnwell seems to do. Yes, the free agency really isn't all that different. But where the Cerrato Redskins really failed was in the draft and in trades. And yes, the Allen/Shanahan regime already has one stinker trade on its books (McNabb).. But its really way too early to consider Cerrato and Allen/Shanahan the same. Particularly since Cerrato set the bar so low.

That said, I fully expect the team to struggle, so saying they have no shot (I assume at winning the Super Bowl) is fair.

Same old stuff from the media, nothing to see here we must move along as the Skins move to developing a championship contending team year in and out. Do we all know how it will turn out? No. I just got a different feeling and acutally feel confident for the future. Forget ESPN....victories and Lombardi's are won on the field, not online or on NFL Live.

There is no such thing as overpaying in sports nowadays

In every sport, every free agent is overpaid because that's the way the market is

Carl Crawford was overpaid in baseball

Brooks Laich in hockey

Every bench player in the NBA is overpaid

The market is messed up so you are gonna be paying more than what the player is worth every time

This guy reads like a smug arrogant prick. Par for the course at Grantland. The difference is that this guy simply doesn't know what the **** he's talking about.

---------- Post added September-2nd-2011 at 03:02 PM ----------

who is Grantland?

It's a "high brow" sports/pop culture website. The name comes from Grantland Rice. There is some good stuff every now and then but by and large, the NFL articles are ****ing trash. So yeah. Par for the course for NFL media analysts.

I don't know I love Grantland. Simmons has run 4 mailbags 4 weeks in a row - great toilet reading. kosterman doesn't piss me off with every music article he writes (just most) and Wright Thompson is a freaking real writer. But that Barnwell article was trash.

After the way we have done business in the past I don't really expect people to give us the benefit of the doubt. It really bugs me when people think we were a few lucky games away from being 3-13 because if I remember correctly a lot of the close ones we lost were because of mistakes made by us(vikings, lions, bucs): so I believe if we can play smarter we will be better.

I don't really expect people to even try to do any work on us since we have sucked for so damn long. Respect is not given it is earned

Typical Snyder offseason? I must have missed something. When did we sign Cullen Jenkins, Nnamdi Asomugha, Johnathan Joseph, Randy Moss, and Terrell Owens?

yeah his article was pretty dumb. even if we somewhat overpaid for some good role players, saying we had the typical offseason for the skins is beyond stupid.

but he is right that i think we're gonna be terrible lol.

Archived