Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Excited about youth and missing Practice threads

rick1796

Two things i want to voice in this thread. First, I don't remeber being this excited about such a large number of young players on this team. Players who have looked good and fit in roles. My list:

Darrell Young- Hard headed, and got more wiggle in his hips than an ex-LB should

Terrance Austin- fast and catching everything and an exciting returner

Niles Paul- looks so strong and really surprisingly poliched for his history

Marcus White - treat yourself and watch this guy whne he plays. Fly's to the ball with good speed and relentless effert. not very disciplined yet, but exciting.

Roy Helu - we all see the pontential in him. great speed and very fluid through his cuts.

Kevin Barnes- seems to be coming into his own. if he contiues as he has i wouldn't be afraid to see him start.

DeJon Gomes- has looked like a ball hawk playmaker

Perry Riley- needs to get off special teams and on the field as a starting LB. More playmaking ability than rocky. though still less disciplined.

Jarvis Jenkins- - looking like a super solid 2nd round draft pick.

I know we can't keep all of them on the active roster but they have all shown enough that i would hate to see any of them leave.

Second, man i was so spoiled by those training camp threads. I am straight going through withdrawals wish for news about how individual players are doing.

Very excited about thecoming year. i fear the results might not(probably won't) be spectacular but there is going to be plenty to watch for with the developement of these younger players.

HAIL!!!

Just imagine if this had been our gameplan 10 years ago... *sigh* So many guys that we missed out on because of the fantasy football mentality. That, and the constant change in coaches and systems means there was also a constant change in the type of players we were looking at anyway.

Well, at least we're doing it right this time.

Mike better win us a frickin' Super Bowl soon, man.

Just imagine if this had been our gameplan 10 years ago... *sigh* So many guys that we missed out on because of the fantasy football mentality. That, and the constant change in coaches and systems means there was also a constant change in the type of players we were looking at anyway.

This. People NEED to remember this everytime a "no-brainer!" vet becomes available.

"It's a NO BRAINER! We need to sign Jeff Garcia, who was just cut by some UFL team. It's a NO BRAINER! What do we have to lose?"

PLENTY. All those useless "no brainer" vets stand in the way of young players that are the future.

Let the kids play. It's a no brainer.

Mike better win us a frickin' Super Bowl soon, man.

C'mon man, this sort of impatient mentality is what has plagued our organization for years. The "we need to win now or else attitude" is what made us sign all those over-the-hill free agents.

Becoming a winning organization is going to take years. So lets be patient and enjoy the ride.

It certainly is a change from the norm!

Funny, but I never noticed so much "hair" hanging out the backs of helmets on ANY Skins roster!

Horton, Hightower, Banks, and a few others sportin' the "do" may give Troy a run for his money with Head and Shoulders commercials.

I will say that watching Helu against the Colts reminded me of seeing Kelvin Bryant run; very smooth, yet bursting and slashing type of back. I can't friggin wait til the 11th...

C'mon man, this sort of impatient mentality is what has plagued our organization for years. The "we need to win now or else attitude" is what made us sign all those over-the-hill free agents.

Becoming a winning organization is going to take years. So lets be patient and enjoy the ride.

You're right, but I meant it more as a relative term. With all the positives we see since he got here, I'm just saying I hope it leads to big things in the next few years, after the rebuild is complete.

Leonard Hankerson?!

Personally, I'm not a fan of Hankerson. He drops way too many balls & the 2 passes he has caught, he's had to come out of the game due to hurting himself on both plays. He should make the practice squad, but I don't see him making any starting appearances just yet.

---------- Post added August-23rd-2011 at 01:18 PM ----------

Let the kids play. It's a no brainer.

Preach it brotha! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added August-23rd-2011 at 01:32 PM ----------

And let me just add that the excitement around here has been paramount. This time of year has always brought a certain excitement about football season, but there always seemed to be alot of bickering & very few people felt the same way about this team. It seems to me this whole board is on the same page (mostly) & we all see the same things, all of us looking forward to this upcomind season & recognizing that, even though this may not be a very good year record wise, it will be exciting to see all these new faces & names & the youth on this team. I am so excited for regular season to start...this has been the longest pre-season....ever. lol

:point2sky

Personally, I'm not a fan of Hankerson. He drops way too many balls & the 2 passes he has caught, he's had to come out of the game due to hurting himself on both plays. He should make the practice squad, but I don't see him making any starting appearances just yet.

:secret: He has 4 catches and 54 yards. That's a 13.5 average - better than Moss and Gaffney - not too shabby at all.

:secret: He has 4 catches and 54 yards. That's a 13.5 average - better than Moss and Gaffney - not too shabby at all.

Yeah, but how many dropped passed do Moss, Gaffney, & Hankerson have? I know I saw Hankerson get hit in the hands several times & the ball hits the ground instead of there being a gain of yardage. So far, I'm not that excited about him.

Yeah, but how many dropped passed do Moss, Gaffney, & Hankerson have? I know I saw Hankerson get hit in the hands several times & the ball hits the ground instead of there being a gain of yardage. So far, I'm not that excited about him.

He has two drops. Yeah, they weren't good, but he's a rookie, and the problem is easily fixed. He's turning his head upfield a split second before he catches them. That just takes reps to fix. If he goes to the PS he'll get signed the next day, guaranteed.

He's going to be our starter midway through the season.

He has two drops. Yeah, they weren't good, but he's a rookie, and the problem is easily fixed. He's turning his head upfield a split second before he catches them. That just takes reps to fix. If he goes to the PS he'll get signed the next day, guaranteed.

Ok. I thought there were more than that. I'll have to pay closer attention to him.

Drops or not he won't last a day on the PS. He'll get claimed by someone.

Pretty sure it was 2 game 1 and 1 game 2, so 3 total...but still no big deal for rookie. People probably add more in their heads from all the practice tweets, it's been talked about a lot.

Archived