Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW | Believe in the Shanaplan

rd421

They key is to not look at another 6-10 season in the same light you would have under Gibbs and Zorn. This time around we don't have to WIN NOW! bc this team is young and developing. No one has been paid to the max in order to win now. We can afford mistakes bc there is and will be young and hungry talent in the pipeline next year and beyond.

I think we're going to be a lot like Kansas City was last season; a young, hungry team totally written off by every one and their mother's, unexpectedly winning most of their games. Can't wait!

And that little homer inside of me won't shut up, lol. The only thing keeping me from predicting playoffs are two things:

1- Our Olines strength in pass blocking. I don't like the fact that they seem to drop back with too much depth at the snap and then get pushed back pretty deep inthe backfield where the QB has guys in his face, even if they're getting blocked. I noticed that way too much the last couple games, but thankfully both Beck and Grossman have been quick enough with their decisions to minimize it.

2- Our secondary. I have no idea what to think about those guys, since practically our entire starting secondary hasn't played except DHall. Josh had a poor first outing, but Antonio Brown of the Steelers is embarrassing a lot of guys thus far in the preseason, so I'm not stressed about it. Still, they're an unknown right now.

Otherwise, I'm excited as heck. I just don't see many weaknesses right now, and if those are the only two weaknesses we have... we'll still win a bunch of games. Especially against teams without an elite Dline and/or not as proficient in the passing game. I think we'll own those kinds of teams right now.

OL needs to be light to run the ball well. They'll suffer from a straight up power attack that puts them on their heels. It's just going to happen. That's why they like beck. If we're a running team, the QB needs to be a game manager, not a howitzer. Beck has very good mobility. Not Vick mobility, but good enough to escape those pocket situations like Grossman won't.

I think we're going to be a lot like Kansas City was last season; a young, hungry team totally written off by every one and their mother's, unexpectedly winning most of their games. Can't wait!

Going 9-7 could be dangerous. It could cause Snyder to revert to the 'we're almost there' mentality. I'll be just as satisfied w/ 6-10 bc I know a winning season will not suddenly mean that this team is good. Same for KC last year.

it takes a few years to change the culture considering how downtrodden this team was before Shanallen.

Off topic question-

Coming into the offseason the Skins were reported to have close to 30 million to spend in free agency. I do not believe they came close to spending that amount. How much is left and what do they plan on doing with the extra dollars? Landry needs a new deal but what else?

And that's so huge because for years they have been built for one year PR short term success. Shanahan and Bruce are doing an awesome job righting the past. It's nice to be proud of the team win or lose.

What makes it so awesome is that I think most of us believed that a culture of lazy overpaid FA had been deeply embedded here & it would take a while to eradicate that. It seems (to me anyway) that Shanahan & Allen have virtually erased that mentality overnight, they turned 6 draft picks into 12 & got rid of the distractions & actually got something in return for them. They changed an entire culture in Washington in way less time than anyone of us had anticipated! That is awesome!

What makes it so awesome is that I think most of us believed that a culture of lazy overpaid FA had been deeply embedded here & it would take a while to eradicate that. It seems (to me anyway) that Shanahan & Allen have virtually erased that mentality overnight, they turned 6 draft picks into 12 & got rid of the distractions & actually got something in return for them. They changed an entire culture in Washington in way less time than anyone of us had anticipated! That is awesome!

Absolutely just look at how McNugget and Albert were handled it's get with the program or :ciao:

We also have a backup QB who is at least as good as the starting QB, and you don't even know which QB I mean, because neither do I!

9-7 isn't even a REACH for this team if you look at the situation logically. Not even as a homer, just logically!

Nice post. :applause:

I think what we are seeing with "it's only pre-season-aid" is caution. Far too many seasons have started where pre-season looks good, but then we start the season & the wheels fall off. I think this year is very different because there has been a culture change across the boards. I think it's safe to say that we all want to see this team go as far as they can every year (even those that seem to think tanking the season would be a good idea :doh: ), but everyone is pumping the brakes because all too often, it has burned us.

But your post makes total sense & I agree with you.

Caution is great. I just think the reasoning behind a lot of it is way off base.

You don't want to look at a game score in the preseason. But you want to check if scores themselves happen, how they happened, and who they happened against. First string is a hilarious term because we have a whole camp of guys competing for those spots. Other teams have 1st string and 2nd string.

We have probables vs. possibles.

Almost all the Redskins points this preseason came in the first halves. And the Redskins have looked their best playing their probables versus other teams' starters. I think the system is what's working this preseason, not simply talent, and I think this team gets better as the season goes on.

There's nothing special about a six win team, and that's all we're going to be at best in 2011.

What's important is that this ship is drifting in the right direction and you can feel it, though you may not see it on the Sportcenter highlights. Wins and losses will not matter in 2011. The draft in 2012 will be the next most important date for this team.

You try telling that to Coach Shanahan.

Anything is possible. A lot of the teams who are good did so very quickly,, meaning they went from bad season to dominance seemingly overnight.

The Pats were 5-11 the year before they became the best team in the NFL

The Rams were 4-12 before they turned it on for Dick Vermiel

The Ravens were 8-8 before they won the Super Bowl and became one of the toughest teams of the last decade.

I'm not buying THAT much for us.. i'd be a fool to say so.

But anything is indeed possible ;)

~Bang

Anything is possible. A lot of the teams who are good did so very quickly,, meaning they went from bad season to dominance seemingly overnight.

The Ravens were 8-8 before they won the Super Bowl and became one of the toughest teams of the last decade.

~Bang

Honestly though I'd be very happy with 8-8. I just want to see progress in the correct direction and it looks like we are headed that way.

Nice article, i believe this team is on the right track and i see nothing but positives for the future, i think we are one more draft/free agent summer away from having a real legit contender on our hands for years to come.
I'm not a football genius. I love the game, played the game, and I was raised every week of my childhood on Washington Redskins football. There has been a gap in my life where I stopped watching entirely, and some years surrounding that gap filled with real pain. It sounds silly, but watching the Redskins the past decade has been like watching a past love be mistreated by someone else. All you could do was look away.

Not anymore. I bought the koolaid, and am currently mixing and stirring. It was hard to get, honestly, when the shelves are stocked with "It's only pre-season-AID." I tried that out and I'm done with it. Ask yourselves a few questions, doubters:

The "Pre-Season" Myth

1) Assume the Steelers weren't trying v. the Redskins. In order to do what? Decrease injury risk? I train competitive and elite athletes for a living. Putting ANY first string team on a field that is messing around does not happen. I don't care if the packages are dumbed down. They're out there to make plays and see what works. Rex went down the field on a 1st string Steelers team that was trying to make plays, no matter what.

2) How are the Redskins immune to the same pre-season concerns? Do you think Tomlin is out there with 1/4 his playbook and Shanahan is breaking his back throwing everything he's got at the black and yellow? Ridiculous. Redskins Vanilla beat Steelers Vanilla and Colts Vanilla. Maybe those teams are better than that. Just as much chance we are, too. And from a lifetime of athletics, I can tell you that any whole team who plays lights out in pre-season is going to be better prepared to go the extra mile in regular season. As a coach, if any of my athletes underperformed or backed off during preparation, they'd play second string the rest of the season or sit. I'd fill my bench with high character warriors who care about smart effort 100% of the time. Exactly like the Redskins' trend.

It's Easy Journalism to Predict Bad Consecutive Seasons

I want a list, starting with Bleacher Report, of all the Journalists out there predicting a worse record than last year, and their basic reasoning. We've all got jobs, and many of us take a slack day or two here and there, or blow off some assignment. Maybe not often, but it happens every minute. Here's the point: it's so easy to hate on the Skins, because people eat it up and that's a bunch of hours they can spend playing fantasy football or talking on illicit phone lines. It's LAZY. Why analyze when you can rack up hits predicting downfall for one of the highest profile professional sports teams in the world?

Use Your Brain

Take a 6-10 team. Make unquestionable upgrades at RB (entire corps) WR (entire corps) DL (entire corps) OL (3) LB (2) S (1) CB (1)... and every returning veteran is in their second year of the system. That 6-10 team was a couple field goals shy of 9-7 last year, and is tremendously upgraded in talent and athleticism for 2011.

We also have a backup QB who is at least as good as the starting QB, and you don't even know which QB I mean, because neither do I!

9-7 isn't even a REACH for this team if you look at the situation logically. Not even as a homer, just logically!

Last year, I thought we were in it most of the games. We could have won if we have better talents and depths. This year, I feel much better after the draft and the FA signings. We didn't address all but did more than I though we would. RB and WR are so much better. Our QBs can step in and play if the other goes down. Our only weakness is OL. It's better than last year but could improve in next year draft/FA.

So 8-8, 9-7 or even 10-6 is possible. The key is we need to stay healthy.

Rex might be right when he said we should win the East. Giants have a lot of injuries so far on D. Cowboys have a lot of new faces and new D coach. Eagles look great on paper but then look what happened to them if Vick doesn't perform.

~Bang

And if Beck or Grossman turns into Warner or Brady, it can happen to us!

Absent that, I'm picking between 7 and 10 wins.

Going 9-7 could be dangerous. It could cause Snyder to revert to the 'we're almost there' mentality.

:rolleyes:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/8/14/2363026/mike-shanahan-sheds-light-on-his-interview-with-dan-snyder

"I knew it wasn't going to happen overnight. One thing I told Dan Snyder was: ‘If you don't plan on me being here for five years to do this the right way, then you shouldn't hire Mike Shanahan. But I'm going to do it the right way. And if you believe in my background and you believe in what I've done, then you should hire me. But if you're going to ask me to take shortcuts, I'm not going to take shortcuts. I'm going to do it the right way.' And he said he would."

Use Your Brain

Take a 6-10 team. Make unquestionable upgrades at RB (entire corps) WR (entire corps) DL (entire corps) OL (3) LB (2) S (1) CB (1)... and every returning veteran is in their second year of the system. That 6-10 team was a couple field goals shy of 9-7 last year, and is tremendously upgraded in talent and athleticism for 2011.

Nice post man.

I think 8-8 or 9-7 sounds about right.

Going 9-7 could be dangerous. It could cause Snyder to revert to the 'we're almost there' mentality. I'll be just as satisfied w/ 6-10 bc I know a winning season will not suddenly mean that this team is good. Same for KC last year.

I am baffled by this.

It's the owner you should be concerned about. He fired a respected vet of a head coach who went 7-9 in his first and only season.

I think Marty was actually 8-8.

Archived