Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW | Believe in the Shanaplan

rd421

shanaplan-article.jpg?w=604&h=364

It’s been pretty easy to buy into the false sense of security that the preseason has brought us so far this year. Sure everyone says “It’s only preseason” but I am pretty sure deep down that little homer in all of us feels like this could be a special team.

Players aren’t helping us stay rational either. Rex Grossman last week stated that this was the best team he has been on since his Super Bowl year in Chicago. Then, this week, Chris Cooley says that he has never been on a Redskins team that had the commitment to winning that this team does.

Let’s just be honest with ourselves. It feels good, real good. It should, this fan base deserves some good vibes.

Finish reading here

Nice article, i believe this team is on the right track and i see nothing but positives for the future, i think we are one more draft/free agent summer away from having a real legit contender on our hands for years to come.

That's the feeling I get as well. I think we'll finish in the same ballpark this year as we did last year, but it will feel a lot different. I think we're definitely pointed and moving in the right direction!

Then, this week, Chris Cooley says that he has never been on a Redskins team that had the commitment to winning that this team does.

i do believe that this year feels better than previous years, but chris cooley says this stuff every year.. even when we go 4-12 and 6-10 he says its the best team hes been on blah blah

i do believe that this year feels better than previous years, but chris cooley says this stuff every year.. even when we go 4-12 and 6-10 he says its the best team hes been on blah blah

The point was not that it is the best... The point was hearing the positives finally coming from Ashburn is making it harder for fans to stay medium lol

It has been a really long time since I was really excited about our chances in general. Maybe not this year, but it really feels like we will be at least in the running for a Super Bowl in the next few years. That is, of course, if we stay on the course we're on now.

It's just sad that it feels that way. Winning now (or just feeling like we will be winning soon) kinda feels like a new thing.

Things may be getting better, but Dan Snyder really did do a number on this franchise. Here's to the continued evolution of Snyder as an owner.

I think the Danny has learned his lesson and has decided to stay in the front office and let the football people do the football things.
I think that is continually happening as an example this offseason as well as not drafting Pryor. And come on, we know Snyder is a young Al Davis and would have jumped at that if Vinny was still here.

I think we've significantly upgraded our starting roster, but I still have concerns about quality depth at certain positions: ILB and OL, to a lesser extent our secondary. If we run into a rash of injuries these weaknesses could become evident.

I think we could absorb injuries at QB, RB or WR and not have a terrible drop-off in the performance of the team.

I think that is continually happening as an example this offseason as well as not drafting Pryor. And come on, we know Snyder is a young Al Davis and would have jumped at that if Vinny was still here.

Vinny would have convinced him to go that route. It seems like Snider is really staying out of this time.

I think the Danny has learned his lesson and has decided to stay in the front office and let the football people do the football things.

I think Vinny was just terrible... I think that his lunacy birthed The Danny. Dan knows he's just here to sign the checks now, and I love it.

good article seems like every week we are hearing better things bout the redskins, Im even getting props from other fans first time since gibbs came back that someone actually came up to me and said those skins arent looking bad a giants fan at that lol well long way to go but good start so far.

There's nothing special about a six win team, and that's all we're going to be at best in 2011.

What's important is that this ship is drifting in the right direction and you can feel it, though you may not see it on the Sportcenter highlights. Wins and losses will not matter in 2011. The draft in 2012 will be the next most important date for this team.

I like where this movie is going and I want to stay till the end, unlike in 2001 when we left the theatre before intermission w/ Marty.

There's nothing special about a six win team, and that's all we're going to be at best in 2011.

What's important is that this ship is drifting in the right direction and you can feel it, though you may not see it on the Sportcenter highlights. Wins and losses will not matter in 2011. The draft in 2012 will be the next most important date for this team.

I like where this movie is going and I want to stay till the end, unlike in 2001 when we left the theatre before intermission w/ Marty.

Exactly man we are in year two of a rebuild and it's awesome to see the direction we are going. I wonder what ES will be like when there's nothing to cry about....

Loving what I see so far. My favorite part in all of this is that after each preseason game, we are mysteriously ranked a little higher and given a little more credit in rankings and such.

Before the Steelers game, ESPN dogged the Redskins in the power rankings, and Mike & Mike in the Morning were talking about what trash we were. Most mock drafts had us taking Luck at 1st overall next year. Now mocks have us at No. 10 or so, and analysts are starting to hint at us going more like 6-10.

I figure at this rate by the end of the preseason we're considered a wildcard team. :)

I'm not a football genius. I love the game, played the game, and I was raised every week of my childhood on Washington Redskins football. There has been a gap in my life where I stopped watching entirely, and some years surrounding that gap filled with real pain. It sounds silly, but watching the Redskins the past decade has been like watching a past love be mistreated by someone else. All you could do was look away.

Not anymore. I bought the koolaid, and am currently mixing and stirring. It was hard to get, honestly, when the shelves are stocked with "It's only pre-season-AID." I tried that out and I'm done with it. Ask yourselves a few questions, doubters:

The "Pre-Season" Myth

1) Assume the Steelers weren't trying v. the Redskins. In order to do what? Decrease injury risk? I train competitive and elite athletes for a living. Putting ANY first string team on a field that is messing around does not happen. I don't care if the packages are dumbed down. They're out there to make plays and see what works. Rex went down the field on a 1st string Steelers team that was trying to make plays, no matter what.

2) How are the Redskins immune to the same pre-season concerns? Do you think Tomlin is out there with 1/4 his playbook and Shanahan is breaking his back throwing everything he's got at the black and yellow? Ridiculous. Redskins Vanilla beat Steelers Vanilla and Colts Vanilla. Maybe those teams are better than that. Just as much chance we are, too. And from a lifetime of athletics, I can tell you that any whole team who plays lights out in pre-season is going to be better prepared to go the extra mile in regular season. As a coach, if any of my athletes underperformed or backed off during preparation, they'd play second string the rest of the season or sit. I'd fill my bench with high character warriors who care about smart effort 100% of the time. Exactly like the Redskins' trend.

It's Easy Journalism to Predict Bad Consecutive Seasons

I want a list, starting with Bleacher Report, of all the Journalists out there predicting a worse record than last year, and their basic reasoning. We've all got jobs, and many of us take a slack day or two here and there, or blow off some assignment. Maybe not often, but it happens every minute. Here's the point: it's so easy to hate on the Skins, because people eat it up and that's a bunch of hours they can spend playing fantasy football or talking on illicit phone lines. It's LAZY. Why analyze when you can rack up hits predicting downfall for one of the highest profile professional sports teams in the world?

Use Your Brain

Take a 6-10 team. Make unquestionable upgrades at RB (entire corps) WR (entire corps) DL (entire corps) OL (3) LB (2) S (1) CB (1)... and every returning veteran is in their second year of the system. That 6-10 team was a couple field goals shy of 9-7 last year, and is tremendously upgraded in talent and athleticism for 2011.

We also have a backup QB who is at least as good as the starting QB, and you don't even know which QB I mean, because neither do I!

9-7 isn't even a REACH for this team if you look at the situation logically. Not even as a homer, just logically!

Archived