Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

If the Colt's luck into...well, Luck by losing Manning...it will be so unfair. Not that losing a HOF QB for at least a year and possibly the rest of his career wouldn't suck major big ones, but seriously. The Colt's have always failed to surround Peyton with enough talent. They never did as well as they should have in terms of team-building. To then fall ass-first into the next QB that could similarly carry their team without a proper supporting cast?

That would just be unfair.

LL56 and I were talking about that on Twitter earlier this morning. Manning just had another neck surgery recently and is out "without a time table to return". I say that if he can't play within 3-4 weeks and the Colts have more L's that W's, they may just shut him down for the year. That makes them a team that's at best an 8-8 team, but realistically a 3-13 to 5-11 team. That should be enough for them to get the 1st pick and Luck.

Now teams next year that need a QB and probably have a worse record than the Skins are:

Denver

Buffalo

San Francisco

Indianapolis

Seattle

Right now I see only 2 QB's that are worth a 1st round pick (Luck and Barkley). Tannehill, Foles, and maybe Griffin III are all 2nd round QB's that probably will creep into the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd as we saw this year with other QB's. If the Skins want either Luck or Barkley, they are going to have to give up some picks or do worse than I project them to.

I just heard about that 2nd procedure Manning had, and the timetable I heard was 2-3 months.

I just heard about that 2nd procedure Manning had, and the timetable I heard was 2-3 months.

The official word from the Colts is "indefinite". They say that they will keep him on the roster and not place him on PUP or IR. I don't expect that to last and to Manning to be on IR by the end of the month.

There is absolutlely no way they would draft Luck. Manning is the type of player that can play into his 40s and clearly the Colts are expecting him to with that huge extension. Luck would play out his rookie contract without getting a chance to start. He doesn't help them compete with Manning now, which is what the Colts need.

They would trade down for a bounty of picks.

Right now I see only 2 QB's that are worth a 1st round pick (Luck and Barkley). Tannehill, Foles, and maybe Griffin III are all 2nd round QB's that probably will creep into the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd as we saw this year with other QB's. If the Skins want either Luck or Barkley, they are going to have to give up some picks or do worse than I project them to.

Probably add Jones and Cousins (and maybe even Lindley) to the creepers.

Every year, QBs creep steadily up the boards, but some rocket up them. This time last year Cam Newton was a middle round project, and Christian Ponder was a 3rd rounder with injury concerns. Not even sure Kaepernick was outside the last couple rounds. I think you are being pretty conservative.

Last year I said I though four QBs would go in the first round, with a possiblity of five. I think the exact same thing this year.

There is absolutlely no way they would draft Luck. Manning is the type of player that can play into his 40s and clearly the Colts are expecting him to with that huge extension. Luck would play out his rookie contract without getting a chance to start. He doesn't help them compete with Manning now, which is what the Colts need.

this all depends on his neck.. if the injury reoccurs this could force their hand to pick a QB.. and what better QB for them to pick than Andrew Luck.. Manning doesn't finish that contract imo unless this surgery heals all.. if not.. 3 years MAX.

The injury has been career ending for many players. They would be silly not to at least consider it.

I think you might be underestimating the possible severity of Manning's injury.

I hope to hell the guy plays 5+ more years. Its a privilege to watch him play.

But you don't mess around with neck injuries, and he just had "single level anterior fusion, a serious but common spinal surgery. While the Colts say Manning will recover in two to three months, the normal recovery period is much longer, up to a year."

More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/will_carroll/09/08/peyton-manning/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a3

So he could come back from it, but still. We might be seeing the end of his career right now:

100_6769.JPG

That Colts have too much talent to be in the Luck sweepstakes, Peyton or no Peyton.

I certainly don't see them as a playoff team now (step forward Houston to fulfil your destiny as the top pro team in Texas :D); but they've way too much to be rivalling the likes of Carolina, Cincinnati and the '9ers for the worst record this year.

Hail.

That Colts have too much talent to be in the Luck sweepstakes, Peyton or no Peyton.

I certainly don't see them as a playoff team now (step forward Houston to fulfil your destiny as the top pro team in Texas :D); but they've way too much to be rivalling the likes of Carolina, Cincinnati and the '9ers for the worst record this year.

Hail.

I don't think the Colts are talented at all. The talent they DO have are DE's, or receiving targets on offense...which are useless with Kerry Collins behind that horrible OL. They couldn't run WITH Manning, they really won't be able to now.

I don't think the Colts are talented at all. The talent they DO have are DE's, or receiving targets on offense...which are useless with Kerry Collins behind that horrible OL. They couldn't run WITH Manning, they really won't be able to now.

Addai's not great, but he's competent enough and should get a whole bunch more carries now Peyton's not dominating the passing attack. But regardless, you honestly think the drop off without #18 will have them in the running for the top pick?

Hail.

If the Colt's luck into...well, Luck by losing Manning...it will be so unfair. Not that losing a HOF QB for at least a year and possibly the rest of his career wouldn't suck major big ones, but seriously. The Colt's have always failed to surround Peyton with enough talent. They never did as well as they should have in terms of team-building. To then fall ass-first into the next QB that could similarly carry their team without a proper supporting cast?

That would just be unfair.

Reminds me of when David Robinson was hurt and the Spurs ended up with the 1st pick and were able to grab Tim Duncan. It does seem almost unfair if it were to shake out that way.

Addai's not great, but he's competent enough and should get a whole bunch more carries now Peyton's not dominating the passing attack. But regardless, you honestly think the drop off without #18 will have them in the running for the top pick?

Hail.

Eh, I think that's a bit much. But I think if he's out for the season, they'll be in the running for a top-3 pick. So it could go any way from there. Addai has never been very talented, and hasn't done too much since his rookie year. I actually like their rookie RB Carter better. But the point is, it was tough to find running lanes in Indy when Peyton was running a quick-twitch passing offense that kept defenses honest...how do you think the running game will look now? I think it'll be a disaster.

If Collins is Collins, I wouldn't disagree. Teams will just stack the box knowing there's little to no deep threat, ala us with Captain Checkdown and Zorn's last year. I was more alluding to Addai having carries taken away from him by the very presence of Peyton. But I can't honestly see them falling so far Conn personally. I see them with 7 wins or so myself and missing the playoffs, but time will tell.

Hail.

Hail.

the Colts have had some sneaky ****ty drafting the past few years.

Name one "core" player on their team under 30?

the Colts have had some sneaky ****ty drafting the past few years.

Name one "core" player on their team under 30?

There's a few, like the starting RB, Garcon at wide-out, Pollak at guard and I'm sure they have high hopes the first round tackle their about to start will become one; but there's certainly not much youth at all that start regularly in Indi.

If this is to be it for Peyton, they need to do what they did when they drafted him and go through a complete overhaul.

Hail.

There's a few, like the starting RB, Garcon at wide-out, Pollak at guard and I'm sure they have high hopes the first round tackle their about to start will become one; but there's certainly not much youth at all that start regularly in Indi.

If this is to be it for Peyton, they need to do what they did when they drafted him and go through a complete overhaul.

Hail.

If Addai and Garcon count as "core players", than we're looking damn good in comparison.

Hail.

Yes.

Manning covered up for their attrocious OL with his pre-snap recognition and quick release. Their offense is going to be really, really bad this year, and their D is built to play from ahead not behind.

This is actually a perfect scenerio for them. As the Colts have drafted very poorly the past few years, this is an aging team with serious question marks across the roster. They probably were a long shot for the SB this year in a tough AFC, and need to do some major retooling unless they want to bottom out hard. With Manning likely out for the year, they get a mulligan year to have a youth movement, and better draft picks next year. If Manning can come back, they can either take a real impact player next spring, or trade back for a bounty of picks with this rich QB draft. Remember, the Colts haven't drafted better than 22 since 2002 (Freeney at 11). If Manning is done, they are prime to take a future QB in a strong QB draft.

A note on the Colts drafting: Since they took Dallas Clark at 24 in 2003, they have drafted the following players with their first overall picks:

2004: Bob Sanders (44)

2005: Marlin Jackson (29)

2006: Joe Addai (30)

2007: Anthony Gonzalez (32)

2008: Mike Pollack (59)*

2009: Donald Brown (27)

2010: Jerry Hughes (31)

*They traded their 2008 #1 to the 49ers to draft Tony Ugoh in the 2nd round in 2007

That is an AWFUL stretch. The only decent picks were injury prone.

Additionally, in those past seven drafts, I count only 7 (of 68 picks) players (Antonie Bethea, Clint Session, Jacob Tamme, Pierre Garcon, Jerrud Powers, Austin Collie, and Pat Angerer) as players who the Colts can expect contributing on their team the next several years.

How did I get into defending the darn Colts? *Smacks self up side of head ..... but I digress .....

No question it's slim pickings, but with Addai being the starting back (when he's not injured ) the past 4 years and Garcon the undisputed number 2 receiver the past two, that's as 'core' as you get with youngsters in Indianapolis.

Hail.

Hey, dont want to pick a fight, but just saying - for a team thats won 10 games a year for a decade, and a perennial SB contender, their roster is pretty thin without Manning.

Having a handful of core players is what teams like the Redskins are used to having.

Hey, dont want to pick a fight, but just saying - for a team thats won 10 games a year for a decade, and a perennial SB contender, their roster is pretty thin without Manning.

Having a handful of core players is what teams like the Redskins are used to having.

And I'd argue (not necessarily with GHH :)) that without Manning, the Skins are in MUCH better shape than the Colts. I'd take our roster over theirs every time. Hell, I would even WITH Manning, because his time is coming to an end. They just have such a flawed roster.

Archived