Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins rookie thoughts through 2 games.

Houston2Taylor2Landry

Ryan Kerrigan - He's played how I would hope a first round pick would play. Plays to the whistle and is relentless getting to the ball carrier. Better in coverage than I thought he would be.

Jarvis Jenkins - He's playing like he's a 5 year vet. Gonna be an anchor for the line all year.

Leonard Hankerson - Has the dropsies, but that can be fixed. He's been getting open REGULARLY.

Roy Helu Jr. - Has blend of speed, agility, and strength. Not comparing their play but his style is similar to Adrian Peterson.

Dejon Gomes - I'd rather have him than Reed Doughy...Yep, I said it.

Niles Paul - Has 1 catch so far...Hopefully he can get going against Tampa.

Evan Royster - He was impressive against Pittsburgh. Doubt he makes the team though with Torain , Hightower , and Helu.

Aldrick Robinson - Didn't even play last night. Stunk up the joint @Pitt. He's cut or PS.

Brandyn Thompson - He's played very well. Was spotlighted twice last night. Once for shutdown coverage and again for the INT. Little chance to make the team though.

Mo Hurt - Had a nice block against Pitt. Didn't really notice him last night. Maybe thats a good thing.

Markus White - He's been pretty good rushing the passer in both games. Maybe we can work with this guy...

Chris Neild - Didn't play vs Pitt. Played the whole 2nd half last night. Did well against a constant double. Hustled like I've never seen for a NT. Watch the film. He was HUSTLING.

Liking this Draft so far...Well, 2 games into pre-season..:ols:

Overall I totally agree with your assessment it's refreshing to see seemingly we've hit on at least 9 of our 12 draft picks. Vinny Cerrato was so god awful and it's a damn shame that this 1 draft could top anything he's ever done in 10 years. I really have to give lots of credit to Bruce & Mike for the turn around thus far the Washington Redskins on the rise and it's a great feeling:)

Ryan Kerrigan - He's played how I would hope a first round pick would play. Plays to the whistle and is relentless getting to the ball carrier. Better in coverage than I thought he would be. (AGREE)

Jarvis Jenkins - He's playing like he's a 5 year vet. Gonna be an anchor for the line all year. (LOOKS LIKE HE HAS MAJOR UPSIDE)

Leonard Hankerson - Has the dropsies, but that can be fixed. He's been getting open REGULARLY. (I hope so, but we could teach Carlos Rogers to catch year after year)

Roy Helu Jr. - Has blend of speed, agility, and strength. Not comparing their play but his style is similar to Adrian Peterson. (Disagree...he seems more like Reggie Bush to me....haven't seen him run between the tackles at all...I see either off tackle or stretching the play to the outside even when it's not a stretch play)

Dejon Gomes - I'd rather have him than Reed Doughy...Yep, I said it. (AGREE...seems more agile)

Niles Paul - Has 1 catch so far...Hopefully he can get going against Tampa. (I think he looks promising)

Evan Royster - He was impressive against Pittsburgh. Doubt he makes the team though with Torain , Hightower , and Helu. (Ummm If we only keep 3RBs do we keep 6 WRs?)

Aldrick Robinson - Didn't even play last night. Stunk up the joint @Pitt. He's cut or PS. (Right now I think he's playing for PS)

Brandyn Thompson - He's played very well. Was spotlighted twice last night. Once for shutdown coverage and again for the INT. Little chance to make the team though. (Agree)

Mo Hurt - Had a nice block against Pitt. Didn't really notice him last night. Maybe thats a good thing. (Probably, but I thought the both OL's were very pedestrian)

Markus White - He's been pretty good rushing the passer in both games. Maybe we can work with this guy... (meh)

Chris Neild - Didn't play vs Pitt. Played the whole 2nd half last night. Did well against a constant double. Hustled like I've never seen for a NT. Watch the film. He was HUSTLING. (Agree...I think he's the guy that got KOed in punt coverage...)

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 03:26 PM ----------

Ryan Kerrigan - He's played how I would hope a first round pick would play. Plays to the whistle and is relentless getting to the ball carrier. Better in coverage than I thought he would be. (AGREE)

Jarvis Jenkins - He's playing like he's a 5 year vet. Gonna be an anchor for the line all year. (LOOKS LIKE HE HAS MAJOR UPSIDE)

Leonard Hankerson - Has the dropsies, but that can be fixed. He's been getting open REGULARLY. (I hope so, but we could teach Carlos Rogers to catch year after year)

Roy Helu Jr. - Has blend of speed, agility, and strength. Not comparing their play but his style is similar to Adrian Peterson. (Disagree...he seems more like Reggie Bush to me....haven't seen him run between the tackles at all...I see either off tackle or stretching the play to the outside even when it's not a stretch play)

Dejon Gomes - I'd rather have him than Reed Doughy...Yep, I said it. (AGREE...seems more agile)

Niles Paul - Has 1 catch so far...Hopefully he can get going against Tampa. (I think he looks promising)

Evan Royster - He was impressive against Pittsburgh. Doubt he makes the team though with Torain , Hightower , and Helu. (Ummm If we only keep 3RBs do we keep 6 WRs?)

Aldrick Robinson - Didn't even play last night. Stunk up the joint @Pitt. He's cut or PS. (Right now I think he's playing for PS)

Brandyn Thompson - He's played very well. Was spotlighted twice last night. Once for shutdown coverage and again for the INT. Little chance to make the team though. (Agree)

Mo Hurt - Had a nice block against Pitt. Didn't really notice him last night. Maybe thats a good thing. (Probably, but I thought the both OL's were very pedestrian)

Markus White - He's been pretty good rushing the passer in both games. Maybe we can work with this guy... (meh)

Chris Neild - Didn't play vs Pitt. Played the whole 2nd half last night. Did well against a constant double. Hustled like I've never seen for a NT. Watch the film. He was HUSTLING. (Agree...I think he's the guy that got KOed in punt coverage...)

Kerrigan looked better against some weak opposition, but preseason playing time is just what he needs having missed so much time.

Jenkins looks like a steal.

Helu looks a better choice than Royster, not that Royster's done much wrong.

Hankerson is a work in progress. The drops should stop with more confidence and playing time, but then they never did for Carlos. I was hoping for more from Paul this last game but it seems he's either not targetted or not getting open - there was one throw in his direction but it looked like he ran the wrong route. I guess he'll be heading for the PS with Robinson.

The amount of time Neild got was interesting. It makes me wonder if they are seriously looking at moving him into the 53. Gomes might make it as well.

Excellent review thus far which I totally concur with ..... save for I'd take Gomes over Horton, and keep Reed.

How great a feeling is it to be sat with a real prospect of a large bulk of this years rooks making the roster. Redskins grooming our own. Been a while.

Hail.

I was going to say please not Reed, but on second thought, he's a smart guy that will make the stop. Horton just doesn't look hungry enough.

Neild, route 66...is just working his ass of. Maby not the most gifted athlete but he is just playing hard. He comes to practise in a truck and probally has a sandwichbox filled with homemade turkey sandwitches. He is that kind of guy....a regular hardworking midwest redneck (no off#)

Dont agree with your Thompson prediction at all. That INT last night was impressive. His coverage was very good. He MIGHT have been a half step behind the WR but he was very very tight on him. He located the ball very well on the throw and most important made the INT. I think we know what we have with Westbrook. IMO he has reached this ceiling. He wont be anything more then a 5th CB on a few teams. Thompson on the other hand has the chance to be something special. Just remember where GB got Williams and Shields from. Both of their starting CBs. One was a UDFA and the other a late round pick. If it comes down to Thompson or Westbrook, Im giving the rook a chance to prove himself over a known player like Westy.

Great write up. The only guy I don't think is going to deliver is Hankerson. Theres a reason he fell to the third round. He had dropsies in college and is having dropsies in the NFL. The consistency of his hands are suspect. I would have rather had Ryan Mallett.

Since Jenkins looks so good.....why did we get him mid 2nd round? What was the knock on him? Seems like a really good player to me.

People thougth that he lacked the strenght to play the position, he showed flashes but no consisitencie and they thought that Bowers made him look better.

Great write up. The only guy I don't think is going to deliver is Hankerson. Theres a reason he fell to the third round. He had dropsies in college and is having dropsies in the NFL. The consistency of his hands are suspect. I would have rather had Ryan Mallett.

Mallett doesn't fit Shanahan's offense, he's too much of a pocket passer.

Even though Hankerson had a drop, he caught 3 of the 4 passes thrown his way, that's a nice %. I'm fine with him dropping one if he catches 75% of his targets.

You dont own receving records at Miami for not being able to deliver

You really should take sometime and investigate before you regurgitate.

Name the other recievers from Miami that were great NFL wideouts? Now where is Hankersons name on that list? And for two of those years he only had 17 receptions. It is well documented that he worked very hard and overcame the "dropsies" in his early years by working out with NFL legend Mark Duper.

2011 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report: http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2555

Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami

Leonard Hankerson returned to Miami for his senior season for a good reason. Through nine games he has ten touchdown catches and is one away from tying Michael Irvin's school record. With presumably four games left, Hankerson should set the record. On top of his ten touchdown receptions so far in 2010, Hankerson has caught 48 passes for 747 yards. Hankerson was not always such a productive player. As a freshman he caught just six passes and the following year he caught 11. Yet, even with limited action, three of those 17 catches went for touchdowns.

It was in 2009 that Hankerson started to grab the attention of NFL scouts. He was the only receiver on the Hurricanes to catch a pass in all 13 games and ended the campaign leading the team with 45 receptions for 801 yards and six scores.

At 6-3 and 205 pounds, Hankerson has the size and strength to be a very productive player in the NFL. He is relatively fast too and can run about a 4.5 40. While there appears to be an obvious top four as far as receivers go in this draft class, Hankerson is slowly sneaking up on players like A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Jon Baldwin and Michael Floyd. If this class was not so stacked at the receiver position, Hankerson would likely be a first round selection. Instead, he should be a steal in the second round.

1/15 Update: With Floyd and Justin Blackmon returning to school, Hankerson may just sneak into the first round. It seems unlikely at this point, but at least Hankerson should be a solid second rounder. Hankerson ended up catching 13 touchdowns during his senior campaign and earning First-Team All-ACC accolades. A trip to the Senior Bowl will start off Hankerson's pre-draft escapade and scouts will like what they see if Hankerson can perform up to his potential.

3/22 Update: Hankerson needed to run a good 40-yard-dash at the NFL combine to prove he had a nice combination of size and speed. He did just that by running a 4.40 40. His speed almost matched fellow receiver Torrey Smith, but Hankerson has a size advantage over the Maryland prospect. It is now emerging as an intriguing battle for the third receiver spot after A.J. Green and Julio Jones. Jonathan Baldwin is the big receiver, Smith the fast receiver and Hankerson the combination of the two.

Receptions

Rank Player/Years Rec.

1 Reggie Wayne, 1997-98-99-00 173

2 Lamar Thomas, 1989-90-91-92 144

3 Michael Irvin, 1985-86-87 143

Santana Moss, 1997-98-99-00 143

5 Leonard Hankerson, 2007-08-09-10 134

6 Kellen Winslow, 2001-02-03 119

7 Willie Smith, 1984-85-86 114

Wesley Carroll, 1989-90 114

9 Glenn Dennison, 1981-82-83 108

10 Randal Hill, 1987-88-89-90 107

Receiving Yardage (Receptions)

Rank Player/Years Rec.

1 Santana Moss, 1997-98-99-00 (143) 2,546

2 Reggie Wayne, 1997-98-99-00 (173) 2,510

3 Michael Irvin, 1985-86-87 (143) 2,423

4 Lamar Thomas, 1989-90-91-92 (144) 2,271

5 Leonard Hankerson, 2007-08-09-10 (134) 2,160

6 Andre Johnson, 2000-01-02 (92) 1,831

7 Eddie Brown, 1983-84 (89) 1,754

8 Wesley Carroll, 1989-90 (114) 1,722

9 Larry Brodsky, 1979-80-81 (100) 1,696

10 Randal Hill, 1987-88-89-90 (107) 1,643

He posted those numbers mind you in about two years and not four. I am going love bumping these old posts down the road.

Nice write up. IIRC last year Shanahan said you dont keep a guy just because he was a draft pick. You keep your best players. WR looks crowded and I wonder if Shanahan will have the patience Hank is obviously going to take. WR looks crowded. Donte has shown well, as has Austin. I wonder about Davis... he lost 15 pounds this year - was this his doing? And changed his number to boot. I think the Cooley injury may have stifled a plan to line him out wide some this year. That 2 TE look we never saw last year. I think its obvious we like this guy Paulson.

I wonder whats up with Bryant - I dont remember seeing him play yet. Maybe Neild is closing on taking a spot.

Interesting how Shanahan uses his rookies. In previous regimes, every rookie would seem to play almost every game.

Good break down on the offense by Rich Tandler,

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2011/08/the-53-version-10-the-offense.html

Wide receiver (6)

Locks: Santana Moss, Jabar Gaffney, Anthony Armstrong, Leonard Hankerson

Others: Niles Paul (pictured), Terrence Austin

The assumption here is that Brandon Banks’ knee will force him on to injured reserve for the year. At this point we do not know if the injury is serious enough to shelve him for the year but this projection is based on that happening. Austin would seem to be the favorite to take the receiver/returner role although rookie Aldrick Robinson still has time to mount a challenge there. Donte Stallworth could make the squad although keeping the 30-year-old veteran over a younger receiver would run counter to the team’s stated goal of getting younger.

Archived