Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Someone please explain this to me (Job Related)

Skinz4Life12

They are frequently used in the corporate, government, and military world. And with the right system and right administrator, they can actually be astonishingly effective.

At least in criminal cases, they aren't considered as evidence. The police only use their results to determine whether to hone in on a suspect or not. So based on that, it would seem discriminatory to use them as "evidence" in the corporate, government, and military sector.

Obviously, the original poster now has a record of his usage. He created the record by confessing what he did when he didn't have to.

Two records, if you include his admission on a public internet forum :)

At least in criminal cases, they aren't considered as evidence. The police only use their results to determine whether to hone in on a suspect or not. So based on that, it would seem discriminatory to use them as "evidence" in the corporate, government, and military sector.

Two records, if you include his admission on a public internet forum :)

Thankfully a Security clearence is not a right, so we can discriminate by using polygraphs. If you don't pass it, no access, no access, no job. Pretty dang simple. Polygraphers actually try to work with you to pass it. They will talk to you about why you hit on a question and then try to see if they can reword the question so you won't hit on it. However, if you did the dirt....oh well. There are special rules for polygraphing civilians though. Most corps won't use them because of the liability issues.

thanks to the people who said i did the right thing. the lack of integrity and honesty from some of these posts surprises me (not really actually).

anyways, i highly doubt that i'd have to take a poly for this position. it was never specified what type of clearance was required, but i can't imagine it requiring SCI clearance which is why I'm shocked i was rejected considering I already had a TS in place and confessed my sins so to speak.

oh well time to move on

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 08:16 PM ----------

oh btw warpaint, when undergoing my SSBI the investigators found out things I had totally forgot to even include on my SF-86. the dig deep. real deep. and just because I listed "clean" friends, doesn't mean they could have dug up my past usage in some way, shape, or form. Then I'd really be up **** creek if i took your advice and simply lied.

thanks to the people who said i did the right thing. the lack of integrity and honesty from some of these posts surprises me (not really actually).

anyways, i highly doubt that i'd have to take a poly for this position. it was never specified what type of clearance was required, but i can't imagine it requiring SCI clearance which is why I'm shocked i was rejected considering I already had a TS in place and confessed my sins so to speak.

oh well time to move on

---------- Post added August-15th-2011 at 08:16 PM ----------

oh btw warpaint, when undergoing my SSBI the investigators found out things I had totally forgot to even include on my SF-86. the dig deep. real deep. and just because I listed "clean" friends, doesn't mean they could have dug up my past usage in some way, shape, or form. Then I'd really be up **** creek if i took your advice and simply lied.

It's not my advice chief. It was the advice of officers in the military.

The company HR/Recruiters/whoever messed up on this one. If you already had your TS, there would be no need for you to fill out a pre-security clearance questionare as you already have your clearance.

It must be company policy not to hire employees deemed at risk of not being clearable. Obviously someone doesn't realize you already have the clearance.

If it is subcontract work, there are other businesses with the same opening that needs to be filled. I would look for similar reqs on the web and apply at another company for the same position.

If I were hiring, I'd take a one-time pot smoker over a liar any day.

You really believe he only used one time? At any rate, if I'm trying to land a job, especially in this market, there's NO WAY I'm revealing that I used pot back in college, if it has any chance of landing me the job. Sucks for the other poster, and I respect his honesty. But there's no way I take that risk.

The company HR/Recruiters/whoever messed up on this one. If you already had your TS, there would be no need for you to fill out a pre-security clearance questionare as you already have your clearance.

It must be company policy not to hire employees deemed at risk of not being clearable. Obviously someone doesn't realize you already have the clearance.

see that's what i thought. i was like :wtf: i already have a clearance why do i have to fill this out? so i told him i already had a clearance, but i knew if he looked into it further he would see that i disclosed previous marijuana use so I came clean up front with him.

i was thinking about getting a letter from my FSO explaining what type of clearance I have and seeing if that would have sufficed instead of filling out that pre-screening form. maybe i screwed myself over there?

see that's what i thought. i was like :wtf: i already have a clearance why do i have to fill this out? so i told him i already had a clearance, but i knew if he looked into it further he would see that i disclosed previous marijuana use so I came clean up front with him.

i was thinking about getting a letter from my FSO explaining what type of clearance I have and seeing if that would have sufficed instead of filling out that pre-screening form. maybe i screwed myself over there?

The hiring company has no insight into your clearance paperwork, what you declared on that paperwork, or anything discussed in your security interview. That is private information between you and the government.

Their security questionare is just a hiring tool, you could have left out things the company has no business knowing. It's private.

in a polygraph, if you lie it will pick it up. However, it will also pick up if your friend did it and you thought about it.

For example. I have NEVER done cocaine, I took a polygraph for a forensics job, it came up that I was elusive on that question. He asked me again, I said no I never used cocaine. He then asked if I had a friend who has. I said yes, he says well that explains it then.

On a side note...and this is a true story...if you are taking a polygraph for a job and they ask you if you have ever had abnormal sex.....just say no...do NOT and I repeat do NOT ask what do you mean....nothing is more uncomfortable then having to explain to a polygraph tester while connected to the machine what you consider abnormal sex :doh:

The hiring company has no insight into your clearance paperwork, what you declared on that paperwork, or anything discussed in your security interview. That is private information between you and the government.

Their security questionare is just a hiring tool, you could have left out things the company has no business knowing. It's private.

That's what i initally thought until i was told otherwise. ****, i knew i should have just had my FSO send a letter confirming my clearance. Then maybe I wouldn't have had to mess around with those pre-screening forms and I would be interviewing instead of ****ing about it here on ES

That's what i initally thought until i was told otherwise. ****, i knew i should have just had my FSO send a letter confirming my clearance. Then maybe I wouldn't have had to mess around with those pre-screening forms and I would be interviewing instead of ****ing about it here on ES

Like I said, I would have kept it quiet. It is none of their business.

You know better for next time.

As far as your FSO sending a letter, that isn't necessary. They can look up your clearance themselves with your social security number.

Like I said, I would have kept it quiet. It is none of their business.

You know better for next time.

As far as your FSO sending a letter, that isn't necessary. They can look up your clearance themselves with your social security number.

Lesson learned. Time to move on I guess

On a side note...and this is a true story...if you are taking a polygraph for a job and they ask you if you have ever had abnormal sex.....just say no...do NOT and I repeat do NOT ask what do you mean....nothing is more uncomfortable then having to explain to a polygraph tester while connected to the machine what you consider abnormal sex :doh:

Useless without pix

DEA is a joke...they asked me me..Are we winning the war against drugs....I had to be honest, No..as long as there is good and evil there will be drugs and all kinds of illegal activity .

:wtf: so you had an interview with them and told them that? i'm not following your story

This thread is full of fail. The OP was applying for a job with DEA. Some of you are stating that the DEA has no right to know what you did or didn't do in your life. With a clearance, you accept that the government has a right to know everything in your life. You have to declare debt or payments in excess of $10,000. You have to report a change of lifestyle. You have to report if you get married or divorced, have a kid or have a kid die, get cleared to travel outside the US and her territories, have to to have anything you write pepubbed (whether it has to do with your job or not). You give the govt the right to look into your finances whenever they want. Lying when it comes to your clearance is clearly a criminal offense.

Advising someone to withhold information from the hiring process involving a clearance is stupid, and irresponsible. It is quite clear that most of you have never been through the clearance process. Using "clean" friends doesn't work. Lying about your background doesn't work.

This thread is full of fail. The OP was applying for a job with DEA. Some of you are stating that the DEA has no right to know what you did or didn't do in your life. With a clearance, you accept that the government has a right to know everything in your life. You have to declare debt or payments in excess of $10,000. You have to report a change of lifestyle. You have to report if you get married or divorced, have a kid or have a kid die, get cleared to travel outside the US and her territories, have to to have anything you write pepubbed (whether it has to do with your job or not). You give the govt the right to look into your finances whenever they want. Lying when it comes to your clearance is clearly a criminal offense.

Advising someone to withhold information from the hiring process involving a clearance is stupid, and irresponsible. It is quite clear that most of you have never been through the clearance process. Using "clean" friends doesn't work. Lying about your background doesn't work.

thank you. there are some people in this thread that understand all this, but not many

Archived