Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why I Heart Barry Cofield... And Drafting College Team Captains

Dan T.

Seriously, is it just coincidence that the TOP FOUR Redskins picks in this year's NFL draft were all college team captains?

I remember hearing Mel Kiper, a week or so prior to this draft, quoting an NFL personnel guy (and I wish I could remember who it was) saying that if he could, he would draft an entire team of college captains, because he knew he was getting high quality, hard working guys that you want to build your team around.

It is no coincidence that the Redskins' first 4 picks in the 2011 draft were college team captains. Draftees Ryan Kerrigan, Jarvis Jenkins, Leonard Hankerson, and Roy Helu, as well as NT Chris Neild were ALL college team captains... Yep. Barry Cofield [too].

Interesting. Didn't catch that. Hell's yea Mike. Build a team.

Something I did pick up last year - Perry Riley was a team captain too.

Mel Kiper, he would draft an entire team of college captains, because he knew he was getting high quality, hard working guys that you want to build your team around.

Exactly

Seriously, is it just coincidence that the TOP FOUR Redskins picks in this year's NFL draft were all college team captains?

I remember hearing Mel Kiper, a week or so prior to this draft, quoting an NFL personnel guy (and I wish I could remember who it was) saying that if he could, he would draft an entire team of college captains, because he knew he was getting high quality, hard working guys that you want to build your team around.

Yeah, that was a great fact that I was completely unaware of - awesome info OP.

I can't wait to see the taser dance...I know during the season Im gonna be doing it in wherever I am when he makes a big play, whether that be at the bar or in my living room. I hope we get to see it tonight, even if it is a preseason game.

Nice thread. It's great that we are a fanbase who can love the lunch-pail guys for being lunch-pail guys. For that, we should all buy each other beers and tell each other how great we are.
Ummm Zoony, not that I care, but that sounds very, ummm...you know :silly:

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 12:38 PM ----------

Cofield is saying the right things, I agree. But I want to see it on the field. If he can live up to his words and keep the OL off Fletch & Co., our defense will be in good shape.
I honestly do not think the guy is just talking the talk. If you look at practices and hear from people that are looking at closed practices, the guy is certainly blowing it up, or to complete the idiom, walking the walk.

He absolutely my favorite FA signing this year. He is a true team player and one of the types of players to build this team around. I am looking forward to seeing him play tonight, even if it is for a short time.

As someone else posted above, the lunch pail guys are my favorites. The Skins have had a lot of them over the years. I think my first favorite lunch pail guy was Bill Brundige if anyone remembers him.

I honestly do not think the guy is just talking the talk. If you look at practices and hear from people that are looking at closed practices, the guy is certainly blowing it up, or to complete the idiom, walking the walk.

Yep, I've seen the reports. Maybe I'm just skeptical because of all the players who've talked the talk (Haynesworth -- "I want to be the best") or players who've dazzed in training camp (pre-season all-pro Taylor Jacobs), but until I see it on the field, I'll take it with a grain of salt. Cofield promised, now let's see him deliver.

I can't wait to see the taser dance...I know during the season Im gonna be doing it in wherever I am when he makes a big play, whether that be at the bar or in my living room. I hope we get to see it tonight, even if it is a preseason game.

I bought an actual taser so that my dance will be extra realistic.

Neild was a captain (which was already mentioned)

Markus White was also a captain as well, according to http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/markus-white?id=2495489

Neild was a captain (which was already mentioned)

Markus White was also a captain as well, according to http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/markus-white?id=2495489

It can't be coincidence. How far up the on the Redskins' checklist for draft prospects is "team captain"? I would like to hear Shanny/Bruce Allen speak to this. It's an interesting topic.

I absolutely do! I have just seen that topic being discussed in other threads. But its not that big of a deal. Let the thread go wherever it goes. Was just a suggestion.

Interestingly, your attempt to keep the thread on topic has effectively derailed it for a while! :ols:

I'm really hoping Cofield can take some snaps tonight so we can really see how our d-line will look. I'm also looking forward to Cofield doing the taser dance over Vick's corpse. That's right...corpse! How hard core is that?! :beavisnbutthead:

Found this... interesting:

In last year’s draft, five of the 12 picks the New England Patriots made were players who were captains in college: Zoltan Mesko, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Taylor Price, and Devin McCourty.

This season, six of the nine players the Patriots selected in the draft were collegiate captains: first-rounder Nate Solder, second-round picks Ras-I Dowling and Shane Vereen, third-rounders Stevan Ridley and Ryan Mallett (the latter of whom was a two-year captain at Arkansas), as well as fifth-round pick Lee Smith (another two-year captain).

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2011/05/02/does-it-matter-that-the-patriots-drafted-a-lot-of-college-captains-again-this-year/

Found this... interesting:

In last year’s draft, five of the 12 picks the New England Patriots made were players who were captains in college: Zoltan Mesko, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Spikes, Taylor Price, and Devin McCourty.

This season, six of the nine players the Patriots selected in the draft were collegiate captains: first-rounder Nate Solder, second-round picks Ras-I Dowling and Shane Vereen, third-rounders Stevan Ridley and Ryan Mallett (the latter of whom was a two-year captain at Arkansas), as well as fifth-round pick Lee Smith (another two-year captain).

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2011/05/02/does-it-matter-that-the-patriots-drafted-a-lot-of-college-captains-again-this-year/

Come to think of it, didn't Shanahan spend some time with Belichick when he was preparing to come back to coaching?

There could definitely be a direct correlation there.

thread police. I'm commenting on something in the article.

Not only that it was a comment about Cofield. It may have leaned toward the negative but it was definitely on topic.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 03:24 PM ----------

As for the captain issue, it's obviously a good thing but I'm guessing the majority of guys drafted this year were team captains. College teams don't usually have just one captain.

As for the captain issue, it's obviously a good thing but I'm guessing the majority of guys drafted this year were team captains. College teams don't usually have just one captain.

I'll bet you are wrong on this, just by the sheer statistical improbability of it. But that would be interesting to know...how many of the 200+ players drafted this year were college team captains.

I'll bet you are wrong on this, just by the sheer statistical improbability of it. But that would be interesting to know...how many of the 200+ players drafted this year were college team captains.

I'm guessing almost all the guys drafted out of the non-football factory (Ohio State, USC, Texas, etc.) were captains. Plus teams don't typically have just one captain.

I just did a quick google and came up with a site that listed Ohio State's captains. Very small sample size but Ohio State had nine players drafted the last two years and seven of them were captains.

It doesn't matter how many captains a team has really. A captain is usually someone with maturity and a leader on the team. Everyone on offense isn't a captain. Even if two or three of them are captains, the maturity and leadership factors are still there.

Let's not disect the hell out of the comment.

The guy that does expert analysis of our post-season games here (can't remember his name but he is a coach) made the specific point last season that the successful teams over the last few years deliberately drafted whole bunches of College team captains. He highlighted the Patriots but also mentioned the Steelers and (I think) the Ravens. He was definitely correlating success with this approach and also made the point that this was not a common practice. Nice to hear that Allen/Shanahan have picked up on this.

Archived