Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marginal Revolution (blog?): Possible progress in medicine

Larry

Found this page via slashdot. I suspect it's simply a message board. The entire three-sentence post follows:

…in a development that could transform how viral infections are treated, a team of researchers at MIT’s Lincoln Laboratory has designed a drug that can identify cells that have been infected by any type of virus, then kill those cells to terminate the infection.

…In a paper published July 27 in the journal PLoS One, the researchers tested their drug against 15 viruses, and found it was effective against all of them — including rhinoviruses that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza, a stomach virus, a polio virus, dengue fever and several other types of hemorrhagic fever.

The drug works by targeting a type of RNA produced only in cells that have been infected by viruses. “In theory, it should work against all viruses,” says Todd Rider…

And yes, their title sucks. But rules are rules.

Lucius Washington: You're not gonna live forever.

Ricky Bobby: No one lives forever, no one. But with advances in modern science and my high level income, it's not crazy to think I can live to be 245, maybe 300. Heck, I just read in the newspaper that they put a pig heart in some guy from Russia. Do you know what that means?

Lucius Washington: No, I don't know what that means. I guess longer life.

Ricky Bobby: No, he didn't live. It's just exciting that we're trying things like that.

Share this quote

I wonder if this is a related story. Pretty awesome stuff.

This is different, but it is BIG news. This is actually gene therapy, which people have been talking about for over 20 years now.

**EDIT**

The stuff Larry has posted seems further out from being extremely relevant. Delivery and targeting it still likely a going to be a problem. They've looked at mice where they've done internasally for the cold (no problem there I guess), and injections for others.

Peter, I've actually been experimenting recently with a combination of delivery systems, using internasal injections. It's not really part of any organized or professionally sanctioned research project, I just couldn't find my pipe. :(

Archived