Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins signs DT Doug Worthington <---- Pop quiz. How should this been formatted?

mi6

Here's the latest according to Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-sign-defensive-tackle-doug-worthington/2011/08/07/gIQA7J340I_blog.html

Posted at 05:58 PM ET, 08/07/2011 Redskins sign defensive tackle Doug Worthington

By Mike Jones

The Washington Redskins have signed free agent defensive tackle Doug Worthington, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

The former Ohio State standout was drafted in the seventh round of the 2010 draft by Pittsburgh, spent time on the Steelers' practice squad and also had a brief stint with Tampa Bay, although he never played a game.

The 6-foot-5, 295-pound Worthington joins the Redskins' defensive line unit a day after the team cut defensive end Joe Joseph, who appeared in one game for Washington last season.

It really is crazy hearing the Redskins signed someone every day, compared to what I've been use to. I would assume that he's a 3-4 player if Pittsburgh drafted him, so that makes me think he'll fit in or at least give some good competition.

Seems like a potential PS guy if at all. I don't see him making the roster. Allen probably knows him from his TB stint.

Doug Worthington, Ohio State

Height: 6-5. Weight: 290.

Projected 40 Time: 4.90.

Pro Day 40 Time: 4.99.

Benchx225: 19. Vertical: 35.5.

Projected Round (2010): 7-FA.

1/25/10: Had 42 tackles, five TFL and two sacks as a senior.

2/14/09: Doug Worthington didn't do much to make people forget about his DUI arrest; he had 34 tackles, five TFL and 1.5 sacks in 2008.

8/1/08: Doug Worthington killed his NFL Draft stock a few days ago, as he was arrested for DUI charges.

Here's some combine info on him:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/doug-worthington?id=496889#tabs:tab-overview

Overview:

Worthington was a productive three-year starter for the Buckeyes defense. He has excellent size and strength with average athleticism. He is more of a run-stopper than a pass rusher but does show an effective bull rush off the edge. He has good natural power to anchor and leverages well with a strong initial punch at the line of scrimmage. He understands angles and how to restrict running lanes but doesn't have great range in pursuit. He plays hard and shows toughness in the trenches, but he needs an expanded pass rush packages to contribute more in this phase of the game. Worthington has limitations but could provide versatility along the defensive line.

Strengths:

Worthington has prototypical size and very good strength. Tough player who jolts blockers back with a strong punch and displays a powerful bull rush. Takes proper angles and maintains good balance to eat up blockers in the running game. Plays hard to the whistle and shows a bit of a mean streak.

Weaknesses:

Limited range and athleticism prevents him from consistently getting to the quarterback. Struggles to sink his hips and change direction in space, which limits his playmaking ability from the backside. Lacks technique off the edge and needs to upgrade his pass rush package.

Archived