Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Available Guards (MET)

HogHeaven84

I love that Lich, Monty, and Chester can all play G or C. But because of that I'd like if one of them WASNT starting so that versatility could be taken advantage of as a backup. Justin Blalock makes a lot of sense as a natural left guard to start over Lich I think. I'd even take Brian Waters as a short term solution if it came to that.

You can't be serious. Heyer was in the running for worst backup tackle in the league.

It's funny how varied opinions are on some players by this fanbase. I'm with you though for the record. I don't see Heyer as an invaluable backup OT. I like the guy and all, but he doesn't have the feet to play OT. I thought Jarmon was a solid DL coming into his own. He played well in the 43. He got injured last season. Some look solely at his stats and come to the conclusion he's nothing more than a scrub. I found that interesting to say the least. I think it was more some sort of personality type conflict than his ability to play the 34.

My thoughts on a number of things from this thread:

1. Davin Joseph was grossly overpaid by the bucs. He was a below average guard last season, they re-signed him with the hope that he will do better in their new power blocking scheme this year. Thats also why he wasn't a good fit for us.

2. Heyer has value as a versatile lineman but the fact is he just isn't very good. Hes a teams 4th tackle at best.

3. Chester didn't fit what the Ravens did and the hope is that he fits our zone blocking scheme much better. We are essentially trying to do the same thing the bucs did with re-signing Joseph, except we don't have the big money commitment. I also wouldn't expect us to sign another starting caliber interior lineman. We are pretty much set with Lichtensteiger, Montgomery, Chester, and Hicks battling it out for better or worse.

Same difference. Dude wasn't brought back, yet he's some "super sub" and not a scrub.

That's crazy talk.

we've only re-signed like one of our players. We could easily be negotiating with him right now

I am really frustrated about the failure to sign OL so far. This remains one of the team's most glaring needs. And who is our starting RT? Not Heyer, please!

They are trying to re-sign Jammal Brown right now. If they can't get him Ryan Harris is the backup plan.

Not exactly the theme of the thread being a LB, but has Barrett Ruud be retained by the Buccs? A little older FA than I'd ideally like in our position at 28, but the dudes' a baller. Reminds me a lot of Fletch. Undersized but one tough SOB with a non-stop motor. And real football savvy with it.

Hail.

Cards signed him

one of my biggest concerns about Shanny is that in a copycat league with the success he and Kyle have had with the ZBS that there's not plenty of available ZBS guards. Makes me wonder how viable the offense is. I guess we might just need to keep converting centers and tackles.

Leroy Harris is the correct answer. He's a big reason Chris Johnson rushed for over 2000 yards in 2009. They moved him to center this past season and he was as successful. Put him back where he belongs or see if he improves at the center position.

He also fits the system very well.

Leroy Harris is the correct answer. He's a big reason Chris Johnson rushed for over 2000 yards in 2009. They moved him to center this past season and he was as successful. Put him back where he belongs or see if he improves at the center position.

Is he a FA?

Are there any other serious suitors at this point?

Guard isn't as important as the open RT spot. That's the priority. After that the last hole is the LG and that's something that wasn't addressed when they had the chance and will be the gleaming weak link on the line. Depth will also be an issue at both tackles. They didn't fix it.

Guard isn't as important as the open RT spot. That's the priority. After that the last hole is the LG and that's something that wasn't addressed when they had the chance and will be the gleaming weak link on the line. Depth will also be an issue at both tackles. They didn't fix it.

LG isn't that big a hole. Lich did a good job there last year, he'll only get better.

Harris re-signed with the Titans and he was terrible last year. He wasn't a starter when Johnson rushed for 2000 yards. He became a starter last year when the Titans run blocking fell apart.

Archived