Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How is the DL going to shape up?

PlayAction

I assume the following are locks to make the roster assuming no injuries

DE Jarvis Jenkins (2nd round draft pick)

DE Adam Carriker

DE Stephen Bowen (just signed to big contract)

DE or NT Barry Cofield (just signed to big contract)

I assume also that the Skins will keep NT Anthony Bryant who played fairly well last season when given the opportunity. He may be kept for rotation rather than full time play as he's had bad luck with injuries in the past.

On the bubble: DE Kedric Golston and DE Vonnie Holiday. I'm not sure how many Dlinemen you can keep on the roster in the 3:4 front (I'm assuming that more spots will be needed for the LBs). Are we looking at 6-8 slots in total? If so, how do you allocate slots between NT and DE?

It would be nice if 7th round pick NT Chris Nield turns out to be good enough to make the roster. But, I'm assuming that he'll make the practice squad first.There are a few other 1 year DTs on the current roster but they may be long shots or camp fodder. It's hard to see them beating out perennial hard worker Golston.

So, how many roster positions are likely to be kept for the Dline?

And, are the Skins done with free agent signings for the Dline (known starter quality even if not premier)?

I assume it's going to be:

Carriker

Cofield

Bowen

I do think/hope we re-sign Golston for DE depth. I think he's a bit underrated personally. They're 'unknown' type guys on the roster from last year or recently added. We also have Holliday. Yeah, I'd like to add another DE personally. Bryant, Jenkins and Neild. I'd really like to get Jamaal Anderson who was released today by Atlanta.

Joe Joseph (I think he had a decent showing in one game IIRC)

Darrion Scott

Rashaad Duncan

Jeff Stehle

The defensive line has shaped up. Drafting Jarvis Jenkins, and the acquiring Bowens and Cofield were tremendous upgrades. I expect tremendous penetration up front. While Cofield is a tremendous addition, I'm a little concerned about his weight. 306 pounds is light for a NT on the professional level. Because of this, Cofield may play more DE than NT.

The defensive line has shaped up. Drafting Jarvis Jenkins, and the acquiring Bowens and Cofield were tremendous upgrades. I expect tremendous penetration up front. While Cofield is a tremendous addition, I'm a little concerned about his weight. 306 pounds is light for a NT on the professional level. Because of this, Cofield may play more DE than NT.

pwr-tremendous-t-shirt_design.png

There was definitely some question as to whether Skins planned on playing him at NT or DE. Before they signed Bowens the talk was that Cofield was going to play DE. If so, that would be Carriker, Bowens, Cofield, Jenkins, Golston and Holliday + the unknowns competing for a limited number of DE slots. Bryant and Nield at NT. Skins would need at least two NT on the roster + a guy that could fill in at a pinch. Some of the unknown guys are pretty heavy...perhaps Skins are hoping one will compete well at NT. Still, they make take time to develop. I wouldn't mind another NT that's an upgrade over Bryant but not a star.

---------- Post added July-29th-2011 at 11:56 PM ----------

I think it will be slightly better this year but I would give Carriker having a pretty good year. You have 3 guys learning a new system. JJ is a rookie. Bowen played a completely different 34 and Cofield has never played a 34 before. We are much better off talent wise this year.

That's a cold dose of reality. Wouldn't Bowen's experience in Dallas" version of the 3-4 be more of an issue if he was the NT? Enlighten me on this. Also, Skins at training camp said that there were some simplifications on the schemes this year.

I think it will be slightly better this year but I would give Carriker having a pretty good year. You have 3 guys learning a new system. JJ is a rookie. Bowen played a completely different 34 and Cofield has never played a 34 before. We are much better off talent wise this year.

Cofield played in the 3-4 at Northwestern. He has the experience.

Bowen will be a good fit for what haslett wants to run. A penetrate the gap style 3-4 defense.

---------- Post added July-29th-2011 at 08:52 PM ----------

How much does Jay Ratlif weigh? Barely 300lbs. So, Cofield can play the position. Haslett isn't going to ask the DL to hold the LOS. He wants the DL to penetrate.

Can we please stop with the Cofield/Ratliff comparisons! Ratliff is a NT in name only. Wade Phillips "3-4" is more like a 5-2 where all of the DLand the two OLB's shoot the gaps and never really truly take on double teams. In fact it runs more like a 4-3 elephant than it does a traditional 3-4, such as what the steelers (and to an extent the Redskins) run.

Haslett will bring in certain packages where Cofield will be the NT but that wont be more than 10-15 snaps per game. You'll see all the DL move and play different positions with Bryant playing the true NT in most packages. Haslett wants an attacking front 3 and thats why they have drafted and signed so many 3-4 DE's.

Haslett wants an attacking front 3 and thats why they have drafted and signed so many 3-4 DE's.

I recall we all assumed last year that Haslett would one gap the front 3 and attack. But then Carriker said it was two gap, hold the line, with the LBs attacking. I don't care what he does as long as he gets the most out of the players that he's selected. They are all his guys now.

It's impossible to say right now IMO because the defensive line has too many question marks. We don't even know for certain who is going to play nose tackle and in a 3-4 defense that's a big deal.

The profile for a nose tackle in a 3-4 is basically 6'3 or under and 325 pounds are greater. Yes the Cowboys feature a guy that doesn't fit the profile, and he's arguably the most effective, but I see him as an exception to the rule and as such unlikely to be replicated. Currently the skins have the following players that fit or are close to the standard profile:

Anthony Bryant 6'3, 376

Chris Neild 6'2, 319

Potential alternatives:

Barry Cofield 6'4, 306

Jarvis Jenkins 6'4, 310

I think the skins will consider the above players for the position even if they don't fit the profile. Please spare me the Ratliff business... If these guys are the answer at NT I would fully expect them to be bulking up dramatically.

DE - Cofield, Jenkins

NT - Bryant, ???

DE - Bowen, Carriker

On run downs- DE- Carriker, NT- Bryant, DE- Cofield...

On passing downs- DE- Bowen, NT- Cofield, DE- Jenkins

I think Bryant is the NT, with Cofield and Jenkins sliding over depending on down and distance. Neild is then the third guy, unless he really shows something in camp, then he could push to be the #2 option or even the starter over Bryant on running downs. The ends are going to be a rotation of Carriker, Bowen, Cofield and Jenkins. I would expect alot of rotating and alot of fresh legs... Overall this is a much improved line!

Who knows how it plays out in the end, but I know I can't wait to see what it can do. It is a unit that combined with the corners and safties can start to bring the pain. Last year the team could just not close teams out, even when the scored on offense to take the lead late the opponent would counter and score to win. This D is upgraded and I can't believe the majority of fans are not seeing it.

Can we please stop with the Cofield/Ratliff comparisons! Ratliff is a NT in name only. Wade Phillips "3-4" is more like a 5-2 where all of the DLand the two OLB's shoot the gaps and never really truly take on double teams. In fact it runs more like a 4-3 elephant than it does a traditional 3-4, such as what the steelers (and to an extent the Redskins) run.

Haslett will bring in certain packages where Cofield will be the NT but that wont be more than 10-15 snaps per game. You'll see all the DL move and play different positions with Bryant playing the true NT in most packages. Haslett wants an attacking front 3 and thats why they have drafted and signed so many 3-4 DE's.

Agreed. The Ratliff comparisons need to stop. Finding the exception to the rule in a specific defense doesn't suddenly change everything. There is a reason almost no other NT in a 3-4 looks like Ratliff.

That sounds tremendous.

Cofield played in the 3-4 at Northwestern. He has the experience.

Bowen will be a good fit for what haslett wants to run. A penetrate the gap style 3-4 defense.

How much does Jay Ratlif weigh? Barely 300lbs. So, Cofield can play the position. Haslett isn't going to ask the DL to hold the LOS. He wants the DL to penetrate.

Huh? I thought the players said that Haslett wants his DL to occupy blockers, not penetrate.

Cofield is implying he actually weighs significantly more than 306, is here to play NT and is excited to do it. That's good enough for me. So...

LE Carriker, Holliday, Golston? (UFA)

NT Cofield, Bryant, Nield

RE Bowen, Jenkins

Looks good to me. Let's rock and roll!

EDIT: As the main pass rusher, I assume Bowen will probably play on the right side.

Not sold on Bryant, and I hope Jenkins beats out Carriker for the starting DE position opposite Bowen.

Depending on what's asked of Cofield, the only pass rush I see coming out of the lineman in our base 3-4 set is Bowen. Jenkins shouldn't be mistaken for anything other then being a solid run stuffer right now.

I'm very curious to see whether Orakpo and/or Kerrigan slide down to play DE in any nickel packages.

We are light years better in the front 7 then last year, if either of our young NT workout we are set for a long time.

Looking good.

Bryant/Cofield/Neild gives you run stopping and penetration (granted Neild will need a year in an NFL program to get bigger) from the NT position which as we saw when Bryant got play time makes all the difference in the 3-4.

I'd think the traditional DL would have Carriker at LDE backed up by Jenkins with Bowen at RDE with Vonnie likely backing him up.

I expect to see sets where Cofield plays at DE on run downs, sometimes Carriker and Jenkins with Bowen and Holliday coming in on passing downs, as well as more traditional lines like Carriker/Bryant/Bowen. As long as Has uses what we have in theory we will have much improved DL play to go with pass rush from both OLBers and a good FS.

I'm excited to see our D play and it's based off a good rotation on the DL which I think we now have. NTs that can play DE and DEs that can play some Nose makes me comfortable with Carriker/Bowen/Jenkins/rookie at DE. We should get good production for 60 minutes of full on football. I like we now have a full set of DBs that can catch 'cos I think we're gonna get some opportunities given we should be hard to run on and should get pressure when passing.

I wouldn't have had trouble sleeping if we had of signed Cullen Jenkins at 5m per year, but then I'm still being weaned off the bad old days :) I don't think we need to sign anyone else for this season and 5 of the 7 are rookies or just entering their prime so long term we're looking good too.

EDIT: The interview with Cofield 30/7 on the main site is worth a watch/listen.

I don't know why people are so high on Carriker, I'm not. I could easily see him lose a starting spot to Cofield, Bowen, or Jenkins.

I was wondering why so many people are low on carriker, he was doing exactly what he was coached to do. 34 DL arent flashy they dont have the great stat lines. he was solid and he got better the later in the year it got.

Say what you may, but I think our DL and DE rotation will be much younger, faster, and stronger that what we had last year.

The addition of the the safety, Ostawge (sp??), to compliment Landry, and Josh Wilson should also improve our secondary. I wish we had signed Nnamdi ... but, that okay.

I am disappointed that we did not take a look at the LBs from Maryland. Alex W. has an incredible motor, and Adrian Moten is a playmaker. Besides, Travis was a good punter.

Archived