Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins agree to terms with draft picks Chris Neild, Roy Helu

SwampEm

The Redskins continue to check draft picks off of their to-do list.

The team has come to terms with seventh-round draft pick Chris Neild, a nose tackle out of West Virginia. The four-year deal is worth $2.1 million, according to Neild's agent Rick Smith.

The 6-foot-2, 319-pound Neild was the next-to-last player taken in April's draft and will compete for a roster spot at a position where the Redskins currently are very thin. The team on Thursday cut Ma'ake Kemoeatu, and backup Anthony Bryant is the only true nose tackle left on the roster.

The Redskins on Tuesday signed defensive tackle Barry Cofield, who is expected to be used in a variety of ways along the line. The team still is believed to be looking for additional help at that position.

Washington also has agreed to terms with running back Roy Helu, a fourth-rounder out of Nebraska, according to a league source. The terms were not immediately available, but Helu's deal is believed to be for four years and slightly less than third-round pick Leonard Hankerson's $2.72 million and slightly more than fifth-rounder Evan Royster's $2.15 million (over four years) deal.

Still no word on the negotiation statuses of linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, defensive end Jarvis Jenkins, safety DeJon Gomes, guard Maurice Hurt and linebacker Markus White.

By Mike Jones | 12:15 PM ET, 07/28/2011

That's just crazy that a seventh rounder gets a multimillion dollar deal. I'm sure it's considered a fair salary in the NFL mind, but WOW, you know.

that is the exact same thing I was thinking..... I had to re-read the post to make sure I read it right...... amazing...

Archived