Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has your opinion of FOX and Rupert Murdoch changed based on the recent scandal

Burgold

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Agreed. Of the cable networks CNN is the one I see making the biggest effort.

They sometimes fail, but at least they try. :)

Actually, I've been noticing how, lately, NPR has been becoming a really respected source for in-depth news reporting.

I don't think it's a case of bias. To me, there's sources that intentionally go out of their way to slant the news, and then there's the vast majority, who intentionally try very hard to prevent it, but nobody's perfect.

I suspect that a big part of their respect comes not from a political slant or what have you, but might be attributed to a less hurried news cycle which permits them both to take their time researching a story, and then to go into more depth concerning it.

Actually, I've been noticing how, lately, NPR has been becoming a really respected source for in-depth news reporting.

NPR's pace and length in building a story is superb. I think their methodology sets them up for success. I really do prefer them to any other news outlet. I also like CSPAN's totally unfiltered method of presenting the news but that's a different category all together.

I agree with Mardi and Burg on their ranking of CNN, CSPAN, & NPR (I'd add BBC and other international sources). That's obviously (hopefully) not to say they are free of leftish-leanings or liberal tendencies in their delivery of product, just that they are notably better than the others in their severity and pervasiveness of bias, and better in their overall journalistic quality (not counting CSPAN which is more the "open-window" approach)..

I think (currently) the 3 traditional major networks NBC (not msnbc), ABC, and CBS (post Rather :pfft:) are more biased and less proficient in pure journalism than that top-rated group, but not as bad as so many right-wingers claim, other than that by accumulation they create more notable imbalance than any ideal would want.

I have occasionally bemoaned the lack of discernment so evident of a number of righty-side posters in the tailgate who keep equating CNN's level of bias as equivalent to Fox's. That's a powerful credibility/critical thinking red flag to me re: that poster.

Apropos to all this, I guess.

Fox recently published a story about how the new Sarah Palin biopic, headlined "Palin Film Opens Strong, Theaters Packed!"

http://nation.foxnews.com/undefeated/2011/07/17/palin-film-opens-strong-theaters-packed

Turns out the Fox story was written before the opening of the movie.

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2011/07/18/271534/while-palin-documentary-flops-fox-touts-packed-theaters/

In reality, the Palin film is a flop. Despite being screened in only 12 (hand picked, highly conservative) markets, it pulled only a few thousand dollars per screen, which is microscopic. It was showing to a completely empty theater in Orange County.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/07/sarah-palin-movie-debuts-to-empty-theater-in-orange-county/241983/

Again, Fox appears to be telling its viewers the news they want to hear, even if they have to make it up. :whoknows:

Which is why less and less people are watching CNN.

People don't want objectivity. They want to be told that they and people like themselves are virtuous, and that they have no responsibility for anything that goes on, and that the other side is bad, and is responsible for everything bad that ever happens.

People want their biases confirmed, and the more news organizations confirm them, the more people will like and trust said organizations.

Great point. It took me a very long time to figure this out-embarrassingly, much longer than it probably should have. In a perfect world we'd all be searching for the truth without regard to our own personal bias. Unfortunately we don't live in anything even remotely close to a perfect world.

Libs suck....

And if you've been missing what I have been saying about the kind of mindless or insulting/demeaning or just pointless repetitively augmentative crap that is reaching a zero tolerance point in the social/political threads this forum, ths is one example of how to get a vacation from posting on ES. :)

And to (compassionately) preempt anyone's inner lemming, it would be same if the drive-by had said "cons" instead of "libs."

Archived