Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking Bad: Season 4

StillUnknown

In season 3, there is an opening scene in Mexico. It is of the 2 psycho brothers of Tuco and their father (or uncle, can't remember). If I was a betting man, I'd say it took place 15-20 years in the past. In the first few frames the uncle is on the phone with someone talking about "the chicken man" which is clearly a reference to Gus. The uncle is very dismissive of the chicken man and doesn't take him seriously.

Fast forward to the present, it's clear that Gus is a man to be feared, much like the mexican mob. I think Walt is the modern day version of what Gus once was. And Gus, knowing what he did to the mexican mob in the past, knows that Walt is a threat. The mexican mob didn't take Gus seriously and Gus has taken over. Gus gave Walt advvice in season 3... "never make the same mistake twice". In that regard, Gus will not make the same mistake that the mexican mob made. Gus will find any way he can to take out Walt. And... Walt will do the same to Gus.

Feeling lazy, can you give me a quick synopsis of the show?
Breaking Bad is the story of Walter White (Bryan Cranston), a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with advanced lung cancer at the beginning of the series. He turns to a life of crime, producing and selling methamphetamine with a former student, Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul), with the aim of securing his family's financial future before he dies.[4]

Breaking Bad has received widespread critical acclaim, particularly for its writing and cinematography as well as for Cranston's and Paul's performances. It has won six Emmy Awards—including three consecutive wins for Lead Actor in a Drama Series for Cranston—in addition to numerous other awards and nominations.

Nice. I wondered where chemistry came in to it (I always noticed the periodic table in the title on the commercials).

PS, I really like that ES notifies you when someone quotes you now!

Breaking Bad is one of the best shows to ever hit the airwaves. Strikes such a balance of gritty realism and hollywood and the tension is often just ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.yahoo.com/amc-sony-reach-deal-breaking-bad-finale-014227118.html

AMC Networks Inc. and producers of its popular "Breaking Bad" series about a chemistry teacher gone bad have agreed on making a fifth and final season of the show.

Production on the final, 16-episode run will begin early next year and hasn't been scheduled for air.

Negotiations with series maker Sony Television had reportedly been tense, with Sony even contacting other networks to see if they'd be interested in picking up the show if AMC bowed out. The cable network, with another costly and popular series in "Mad Men," was looking to keep expenses down and had been seeking a shorter run of episodes.

Producers may have gained leverage with the strong performance of the series in its fourth season this summer. The season debut on July 18 had the series' highest ratings ever, and overall "Breaking Bad" has 28 percent more viewers this season than it had the last, the Nielsen Co. said.

Actor Bryan Cranston has won three Emmy Awards for his portrayal of lead character Walter White, who uses his chemistry knowledge to become a drug kingpin after receiving a cancer diagnosis.

"This is a great gift to me and my wonderful writers," said Vince Gilligan, series creator. "It's knowledge which will allow us to build our story to a satisfying conclusion. Now, if we don't manage to pull that off, we've got no one to blame but ourselves."

Sad to hear it's gonna end after next years season.

Last nights episode feels like the series is getting back to the usual pace of the series. Once again, they showed the genius of Gus, setting Jesse up to seem like a hero just to get him back to reality.

ninja text for spoilers in most recent episode:

Is Walt completely out of his mind??? Buying a brand new Challenger for his son? I mean he had to know about the red flags it would fly. Then paying the cleaning ladies to clean the lab. What did he think Gus would do with them after they've seen the inside, the very heart of his business?

ninja text for spoilers in most recent episode:

Is Walt completely out of his mind??? Buying a brand new Challenger for his son? I mean he had to know about the red flags it would fly. Then paying the cleaning ladies to clean the lab. What did he think Gus would do with them after they've seen the inside, the very heart of his business?

Yeah he's losing it. You can tell they're kind of building up to something big. Some of his recklessness is going to come back and bite him. He's not as careful as he's been.

I don't think he's losing it concerning Gus. I think he's creating the appearance he's losing it. It's calculated. Walt sees that Gus is trying to divide he and Jesse. So now he'll create the appearance that Gus is winning.

Did anyone catch on to the convenience of Walt owning the car wash? Here, I'll ninja it: Just like the cleaning facility that Gus owns, Walt has the ability to purchase large quantities of chemicals that won't raise suspicions at the Fed level. The more car wash facilities he owns, the more he can buy. He can create his own lab anywhere but it will be difficult to hide the site considering that Gus has eyes on him (and his family, for all we know).Walt is in a position to create a rival empire to Gus. And Walt is the cook so what will Gus have that Walt doesn't? Only one thing... a mode of delivery with the chicken restaurant.

Gus has the lab at the cleaning facility so that he can mix the meth exhaust with the exhaust of the cleaning machines. That way, it's all hidden.

IMO, Walt is going to have to bring in new blood to create a lab in a similar situation as Gus, where he can hide the exhaust. He's gotta find someone to partner up with that Gus won't be watching. Then one day, Walt will have to disappear. Remember what Sal said earlier in the season... paraphrasing, "There is an end game option. One where you totally disappear. Even better than Witness Protection." I think that was a foreshadowing of the finale.

I wonder... is Walt crazy enough to partner up with the Mexican mafia? I know they're one of the few enemies Gus has that could protect Walt in some capacity.

I don't think he's losing it concerning Gus. I think he's creating the appearance he's losing it. It's calculated. Walt sees that Gus is trying to divide he and Jesse. So now he'll create the appearance that Gus is winning.

Did anyone catch on to the convenience of Walt owning the car wash? Here, I'll ninja it.

yeah, ive thought for a while that the endgame is that walt essentially gets rid of gus and runs the operation himself. as you said, the car wash ownership will most likely play into it. what will he do though when he gets to that point, does he walk away, leave the show on top of the business, or get caught by Hank? or does he become an informant in at attempt to get out of the business? lots of ways this storyline could go, and they all look good.

and his wife left some serious guilt on walt at the end of the last episode, and rightfully so.

I see two endgames:

1) Walt takes out Gus AND Hank, and ceases to be Walter White. Heisenberg is king pin, but Walter loses his family completely.*

2) Gus or Hank takes out Walt, either by death or arrest.

Walt WANTS to be Heisenberg. Walt WANTS to be the bad guy - "I am the one who knocks!"** There is going to be a termendous price for becoming Heisenberg. It is either going to cost him his life or his family (and most likely both). The show opened with this guy. And this was the guy on the promo poster for season 4. Walter White is slowly disappearring. By the end of the show, I'm not sure if there will be any of him left.

*I am curious to see if Gus has a family. I can see how he would, as just another layer of cover for Gustavo Fring, restaurantuer. I can also see how a man as ruthless and calculating as Gus would never be limited by familial ties.

**Thus far, my favorite line of the series. Walt not only WANTS to be the bad guy - he KNOWS he is the bad guy.

On last note, for those who are also mad men fans, thought this was a cool note from Alan Sepinwall:

"Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" are linked because they were AMC's first two series of this current wave, because they're excellent, and because Bryan Cranston keeps beating Jon Hamm out for the Emmy, but it occurs to me that there's an obvious thematic parallel as well. Both shows feature protagonists who began life with a cowardly, beaten-down identity and at a certain point assumed a new persona with a new name and a much bolder personality. Heisenberg is to Walt as Don Draper is to Dick Whitman. The difference is that most people still know Walt as Walt, so it's a shock to them when Heisenberg peeks out, where on "Mad Men" the startling moments tend to be when somebody gets a quick look at Dick Whitman.

2) Gus or Hank takes out Walt, either by death or arrest.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... this is good. It got me thinking... a great way to end the Heisenburg story and free Walt would be Hank on the trail of Heisenburg only to find both Gus and Walt together and Walt convinces him that Gus is the master cook. I can see it playing out a number of ways... in a really suspenseful scene.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... this is good. It got me thinking... a great way to end the Heisenburg story and free Walt would be Hank on the trail of Heisenburg only to find both Gus and Walt together and Walt convinces him that Gus is the master cook. I can see it playing out a number of ways... in a really suspenseful scene.

I just don't see this being a happy ending kind of story.

This is a show about someone consciously deciding to be "bad".

Everything we are taught tells us that this will have negative consequences - there is a price to pay for badness.

Unless the show's moral is that being bad is good. But I'm not sure that makes a very good show. Walt should not be rewarded for the havoc he has caused, to Jesse, to Skyler, to Hank, to Jane, to the 167 people that died in the plane crash - ALL of that is directly Walter's fault.

Has anyone's life improved since Walt broke bad? Maybe Walter, but I can't think of anyone else's, and I'm not even sure he is better off.

I agree with an earlier post that we need to see deeper into Gus' life. I think we will find the same story as Walter. That he lost his family in the sense that in order to keep them safe he had to leave. And now Gus sees his family from afar, dropping in on them from time to time. Maybe we'll see this one day while Walt or Jesse follow him.

I can see Walt taking over as the new Gus, with nothing to show for it but a huge ego and no friends or anyone he can trust. Even Jesse will be gone. Walt started out with the best of intentions only to lose everything. Remember how excited Gus was in the beginning of their business relationship? Gus would have loved nothing more than to have Jesse gone. But Walt saw things different only b/c of Hank hot on the trail of that RV. Walt hiding everything from Hank and his family has ruined a perfect business relationship. If ya think about it... all Walt has to do was kill Jesse and everything would have been perfect with Gus.

I think what Walt is going through is exactly what Gus went through ("Don't make the same mistake twice.") and exactly what Gus' predecessor went thru. And eventually... there will be another person to come along and take out Walt. It's never ending.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with an earlier post that we need to see deeper into Gus' life.

Ask and you shall receive. Sunday night's episode was absolutely riveting.

Regarding Gus' sexuality...I don't know how I would react to my best friend being shot in the head in front of me. But to me, the look of sorrow on his face didn't look like he had lost a great friend, but he lost his soulmate. His semi-regular visits with Hector are Gus' way of torturing him for killing Max, the love of his life. EX: "is today the day [that I will kill you]?" Gus also named the scholarship that Gale received after Max's memory. There is no question in my mind that Gus & Max were gay. Whatever the implication of the Hermanos episode, it takes the character of Gus to a new level, and shows that Breaking Bad is some of the best made television today.

This also makes me wonder if Don Eladio is still alive somewhere & Gus' endgame is to exchange Walt for a meeting with the Don where he will finally get revenge on the man who was ultimately responsible for Max's death.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Wow. This just crossed my mind. How cool would it be if somehow the stars aligned and Gus/Mike & Walt/Jesse teamed up to kill Don Eladio? I know that sounds absurd, but you never know with Vince Gilligan's masterful storytelling.

this was my favorite episode of the season so far..

ninja:

Gus' backstory was entertaining..i still dont completely understand why they shot Gus' lover. if anything, they didnt need the businessman (Gus) but needed the chemist (Max).. the boss said that Gus was alive because they knew who he was.. i wonder if we will see more of Gus' past and what exactly went down in Chile. Im sure that Hank will find something on Gus' past.

I have the same thoughts from the NINJA post.

ninja: I wonder about that Don as well and it's clear that Gus and Max were more than just business partners. There's a parallel to the talent of Max and Walt. IMO, this is why Gus wanted him as the cook. And perhaps Gale wasn't as good as Max was just as he wasn't as good as Walt. Who knows...

And another thing that was cool was the name of the episode. Hermanos. Brothers. It never registered in me that Gus would have a business partner when he created the food chain. Just thought it was a clever name. But it's now clear that Gus was creating a network within the food chain to push the drugs around. I still believe that Walt will do the same with the Car Wash business. They're already setting up the pieces... they're moving TOO much money and need more laundering fronts. Skylar is hiding money under the house.

And I also still see Hank becoming a piece for Walt to manipulate to bring down Gus. I see Jesse as a wild card. Not sure how Gus will get him to switch sides. Mike seems to be a trusting ally for Jesse at the moment for no other reason than he doesn't treat Jesse like **** and gives him responsibilities. Jesse is loyal to Walt who never hesitates to insult him.

Oddly enough... I can see this season ending with Jesse having to make yet another messed up loyalty decision in a cliff hanger.

this was my favorite episode of the season so far..

ninja:

Gus' backstory was entertaining..i still dont completely understand why they shot Gus' lover. if anything, they didnt need the businessman (Gus) but needed the chemist (Max).. the boss said that Gus was alive because they knew who he was.. i wonder if we will see more of Gus' past and what exactly went down in Chile. Im sure that Hank will find something on Gus' past.

ninja:

The don didn't seem all that eager to get into the meth business. Maybe by shooting the brains (pardon the pun :ols:) of the production of the meth, he limits what Gus can do. As you said, he for whatever reasons, he couldn't or wouldn't kill Gus, so he kills his boy to take them out of the equation temporarily.

I agree though, that was by far the best episode of the season so far. Can't wait to get more into Gus' past.

Archived