Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PRESS RELEASE: Washington Redskins and NRG Energy Bring Solar Power to FedExField

Mark The Homer

Great move.

Sure looks like FedEx will be around for a while huh.

---------- Post added July-13th-2011 at 12:24 PM ----------

I've always wondered why some automanufacter hasn't tried to design a car with solar panels on the roof. Everyday during the summer I have to start my car and stand outside of it to let it cool off. Seems like a lot of energy is being wasted.

The Prius has an option to have solar panels on the roof. I think it powers the a/c.

I'm sure that tax credits and corporate sponsorship are part of the deal, but the only win for DS on this deal would be if NRG paid for, owned, and operated the system, which may very well be the actual arrangement. And what happens when the Philly fans come and trash the panels! :)

Remember, if DS can move revenue around properly, he makes around 20% ROI GUARANTEED less any additional maintenance and restoration costs which would provide even more opportunity to recognize revenue in other places or could be, at least in part, NRG's responsibility. This is an indication of the big reason the owners didn't want to open up their books and it has very little to do with the players. It is easier to recognize revenue in other places when such as action is not open to a non-biased forensic accountant and coercion is not an option like it is for the government.

---------- Post added July-13th-2011 at 01:54 PM ----------

Not that I didn't agree with the rest of your post, but this part resonates with me. It literally has NO negative impact on anyone else, but because it doesn't have a directly positive effect on these posters, they have to get all pissed off about it.

I hope that they realize that this kind of technology, with this kind of exposure in the media, trickles down. I don't know about you guys, but I can't/never would buy platinum parking. I would, however, love to put a translucent roof that garners energy over my driveway so that in the winter I am enjoying putting the thermostat up a few degrees instead of breaking my back shoveling out of the next blizzard.

Yep, the best way to generate money to provide fans with a better game day experience (winning is the best way to improve experience but DS doesn't directly control that and seems most of us don't even want him to try) is to generate the largest profit you can. That is, part of the profit is what a successful business re-invests to improve its operations (the rest is payment for using resources in a way society most values rather than some other manner).

The Prius has an option to have solar panels on the roof. I think it powers the a/c.

Yes, this is correct. It's an upgrade on the latest generation of Prius. Basically, the solar panels power a ventilation system so your car will air out as it sits in the middle of the parking lot or wherever. It doesn't need to be on, you don't need to be in it, etc.

I certainly don't like the current environment at FedEx Field. There's something in the air that breeds losing.

Lots of fans agree with you. Yesterday, Czaban and Pollin had some operations guy from Fed Ex Field on and they got him to admit that there are really no planned party decks but they just took out the seats because no one would buy them. He said they were offered to everyone on the "waiting list". Czaban surmised, correctly, in my view, that they took the seats out because they were worried about black outs and how bad that would look.

Lots of fans agree with you. Yesterday, Czaban and Pollin had some operations guy from Fed Ex Field on and they got him to admit that there are really no planned party decks but they just took out the seats because no one would buy them. He said they were offered to everyone on the "waiting list". Czaban surmised, correctly, in my view, that they took the seats out because they were worried about black outs and how bad that would look.

In short, he lied. I know several people on the wait list who were never offered seats this year. The team announced a month ago that seats were not offered to many wait list fans precisely because they would be removing so many seats. Far more likely they have hit a snag, either in design or regulatory, and bumbled the response.

I was offered seats back in April when I was on the waiting list for all of two years. My thoughts originally were, "well i'll sign up now and when I get the call in five years i'll have the income to get seats." The call came much sooner than I expected. So technically I helped tear down those section of seats, wooooo!!

• 3 months later...

Well, I just happened to be rolling down FedExWay today, and lo and behold, guess what I saw in two of the parking lots? Ten electric car recharging stations. Were these up last game? Not that I noticed. They included a sign that said "Coming Soon...". But the stations appeared to be completely installed and ready to go.

There were eight stations at the curb in lot G, and two at the curb in lot A (where the solar panel roofs are). The parking spaces adjacent to the stations were outlined in bright green paint, designating that electric cars only may park in those spaces.

Pretty cool.

Another addition for the FedExField thread. :D

Archived