Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Osi Umenyiora: Giants, Jerry Reese Lied About Deal-Or-Trade Pact

Son of Gadsden

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/16/osi-umenyiora-giants-jerry-reese-lied-about-deal-or-trade-pact/

NEW YORK (WFAN) – Is Giants general manager Jerry Reese a man of his word?

According to Osi Umenyiora, the answer is simple: no.

In an affidavit to be filed on July 18 by the NFLPA in their ongoing labor battle with league owners, Umenyiora claims that Reese never followed through on a two-year-old promise to re-tool his contract — or trade him to a franchise willing to do so, reports the New York Daily News.

“After about an hour of discussing my current contract, as well as the contracts of other defensive ends currently playing in the National Football League, Mr. Reese told me that two years from the start of the 2008 league year, if I was currently playing at a high level, we’d either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the top five defensive ends playing or I would be traded to a team that would do that,” Umenyiora said in the affidavit, according to the paper.

Didn't he miss the entire 2008 season?

He had a good 2010 but missed the 2008 year and had a pedestrian 2009.

He's still scheduled to get $3.5 mil which sounds fine to me.

None of this sounded bad when he signed the $41 million contract.

This whining seems to be all about wanting out of NY whether with Ware, near his home in Atlanta or ...........for someone that appreciates him....lol

There's an old saying in labor negotiaing: Verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they're not written on.

Harsh lesson to learn, but morals and money are seldom found together...

The Giants kept their word. Osi stunk in 2009 and eventually lost his starting role. At the start of the 2010 league year, he was not playing at a high level.
Word is he desperately wants out of New York. Supposedly his desire is to go play football with his college buddy, DeMarcus Ware
You guys could probably get Osi for a second plus an additional pick. It's not a big loss if Osi goes. Because if there's one thing the Giants have proven they know how to do well, it's draft defensive linemen.

The Giants kept their word. Osi stunk in 2009 and eventually lost his starting role. At the start of the 2010 league year, he was not playing at a high level.
If I were a Giant fan I'd hate hearing his ****ing. However 2009 he was returning from serious injury and 2010 he had 48 tackles, 11.5 sacks and 10 forced fumbles......that's pretty damn good

If I were a Giant fan I'd hate hearing his ****ing. However 2009 he was returning from serious injury and 2010 he had 48 tackles, 11.5 sacks and 10 forced fumbles......that's pretty damn good
It's nothing new. Osi has been publicly grumbling about his contract since 2008. He's a productive NFL player on a reasonable contract. Nowadays it would be more surprising if he wasn't clamoring for more money. I'm still shocked that Justin Tuck hasn't said a word about his way below market value contract numbers.
If he was actually a top five DE, then maybe he would be paid as such. LeSean McCoy said it best...he's the third best on his own DL and he's soft.
Soft is an odd way to describe a guy who had double digit sacks, was second team All-Pro, and broke the single season forced fumble record last year.

I don't think you would get a 2nd round pick in this market for Osi. I just don't see teams paying that price and Vinny has left the building.
Osi is 29 years old and had 11.5 sacks (7th in the NFL) and 10 FF (1st) last year. I don't think a second round pick is unreasonable.

How can a DE who had 12 or 13 sacks in a season with 6 coming in one game against a rookie Winston Justice but could never duplicate that, think he is a top 5 DE? He was the beneficiary of having Strahan on the other side and two DT's that put pressure on the QB that allowed him to be that good. Since Strahan has retired and the D-line injuries Osi haasn' even come close to that years performance. So what Reese promised him wasn't fulfilled by OSI himself. I would welcome Osi on the the team but not at top 5 DE money because he isn't even in that category.

Archived