Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DB: Egyptian General Admits ‘Virginity Checks’

JMS

:doh:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/item/egyptian-general-admits-virginity-checks/international/?cid=cs:headline15

Egyptian General Admits ‘Virginity Checks’

A senior Egyptian general has admitted “virginity checks” were carried out on female demonstrators arrested at a protest this spring. Seventeen women were arrested and subjected to beatings, electric shocks, strip searches, and virginity checks, according to an Amnesty International report—which the Egyptian military originally denied. Now the general, who remains anonymous, tells CNN. “We didn't want them to say we had sexually assaulted or raped them, so we wanted to prove that they weren't virgins in the first place. None of them were.” He adds, "The girls who were detained were not like your daughter or mine. These were girls who had camped out in tents with male protesters in Tahrir Square, and we found in the tents Molotov ****tails and [drugs]."

I was going to post this in the ME thread along with the story about the Libyan rapes infront of the victims husbands before he / they are killed.

It is funny how those places have reasons for raping women or treating camels with more respect.

Stories like those have always had me thanking God I was blessed to be Born in The USA and not armpits like those.

I'm just surprised there isn't more female suicide bombers just to escape that hell of an existence while hoping to be reincarnated in California, Florida or the Northeast

So a bunch of thugs ignoring the other accusations of beating, electric shocks and other forms of intimidation on the female protestors, strip the women and physically checked them for intact hymens, just in case the filed complaints of rape then libel them as being hookers.

Yeah that democracy thing over there is going great if you are not a woman, Christian or Jewish. :rolleyes:

Baby steps. They have to learn to walk before they can run, just like every other nation in history.

Yes because in 2011 one has to learn to vote before realizing that treating women like this and allowing terrorism towards Christians is generally not cool. What nations did in the 1700s and 1800s is not relevant, the world has changed and access to information has never been easier. They do what they do in an environment where it's clearly known to be wrong.

I was thinkng about starting a thread on this the other day (after I posted some of this in the middle eaat thread). I had a feeling it would be big news.

The people in Egypt are already pissed off at the military leadership, this certainly won't make things easier for the council. Nor should it...considering what some of them seem to think is appropriate behavior regarding protesters.

I think the most disturbing thing is how confident the ******* is that there wasn't anything wrong with what they did.

That and the fact that he seems to think not being a virgin means you can't be raped.

I'm sure a lovely tolerant democracy will pop up any minute now.

These things occured under the old regime. Why is this an inditement on the Egyptian Democracy movement?

Also look at the genesis of our own democracy. A drunk mob accosting a British guard post resulting in the Boston Masacre. The British soldiers being tried in US coart and sucessful defended for firing on the crowd of Americans by the future second President of the United States John Adams.

Yes because in 2011 one has to learn to vote before realizing that treating women like this and allowing terrorism towards Christians is generally not cool. What nations did in the 1700s and 1800s is not relevant, the world has changed and access to information has never been easier. They do what they do in an environment where it's clearly known to be wrong.

What is your point? They have some serious growing up to do over there - no one denies it. Doesn't mean that fitfully moving from dictatorship to democracy isn't part of that growing up process.

These things occured under the old regime. Why is this an inditement on the Egyptian Democracy movement?

Also look at the genesis of our own democracy. A drunk mob accosting a British guard post resulting in the Boston Masacre. The British soldiers being tried in US coart and sucessful defended for firing on the crowd of Americans by the future second President of the United States John Adams.

That's not...completely true. I'm pretty sure the incidents in question happened after Mubarak stepped down.

I'm not sure if the military folks involved supported him or not, but they obviously weren't fond of the demonstratrors, so they may have been part of the regime.

I do agree with your point though.

I think this is more of an indictement of those who are reluctant to go away from the old ways and don't have much respect for those protesting.

What is your point? They have some serious growing up to do over there - no one denies it. Doesn't mean that fitfully moving from dictatorship to democracy isn't part of that growing up process.

i think the point is that it is more than fair to be sceptical of the "democracy" movement in the middle east.

I mean, if the vast majority of your voters are intolerant, ignorant, 17th century half-wits, you can bet leadership will reflect that. Look at Florida.

i think the point is that it is more than fair to be sceptical of the "democracy" movement in the middle east.

I mean, if the vast majority of your voters are intolerant, ignorant, 17th century half-wits, you can bet leadership will reflect that. Look at Florida.

I don't see how the actions of some of the military council delegitamize the rights of the protesters who have been complaining about them for weeks now.

I also don't think anyone said it would be easy.

Archived