Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Top 10 Helmets (AKA ESPN is desperate for NFL talk)

MattFancy

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/27488/power-rankings-top-10-nfl-helmets

As we continue our Power Rankings series, it’s time to look beyond the player and examine what’s wrapped around his head.

Let’s blow the lid off this NFL helmet caper, shall we?

The NFL helmet has long been an obsession. Whether it’s the unmistakable star of the Dallas Cowboys, the beyond-the-gridiron meaning in Pittsburgh or the great helmet–change fiasco in San Francisco in the early 1990s, the NFL has been all about the helmet. After all, in football, we don’t look at faces, we look at logos.

Come on, who hasn’t spent a Saturday afternoon feeding countless quarters into a gumball machine full of worthless plastic all in the name of getting a complete set of NFL helmets?

So, we put our artistic eyes together (with the courtesy of professional help) and came up with our top 10 NFL helmets. Consensus? No, not even close. In a 2011 Power Rankings record, 26 lids collected votes. Eye of the beholder, folks.

1. Steelers

2. Colts

3. Raiders

4. Packers

5. Chargers

6. Cowboys

7. Vikings

8. Browns

9. Bears

10. Dolphins

ESPN really wants people to talk about the NFL lol. Can't say I'm too surprised with these rankings. Didn't think the Bears, Dolphins, Vikings, or Browns would be in the Top 10 though. BTW, Skins are #21.

Going traditional: In addition to the 49ers and Texans, the Tennessee Titans, Cincinnati Bengals, Atlanta Falcons and Arizona Cardinals were the only teams shut out by the eight voters. The 49ers are the only team in the group that has a history-rich franchise. However, the top 10 is dominated by tradition-rich teams.

I'd agree if the Chargers, Vikings, and Browns weren't in there.

Vikings: 0-4 in the Super Bowl (same as the Bills. I'd argue the Bills over the Vikings because they went to 4 in a row)

Chargers: 0-1 in the Super Bowl (you could argue Jets, Redskins, or Giants over the Chargers easily)

Browns: never been to the Super Bowl. Didn't even have a team for a few years after the original Browns moved to Baltimore (then won a Super Bowl)

Didn't think the Bears, Dolphins, Vikings, or Browns would be in the Top 10 though.

Bears are there because of the Super Bowl shuffle. Dolphins are there because of 18-0

My top ten:

1. 49ers - the colors are a good contrast, simple yet memorable design, no major changes, the team is the only team to have gone to multiple Super Bowls and be undefeated

2. Packers - No one doesn't know the logo, hasn't had a major change ever

3. Steelers - Silver and Black. One logo. Unique like that.

4. Raiders - Classic logo, hasn't changed

5. Colts - Simple, up this high because Peyton Manning's brought the team back to relevance.

6. Jets - Back to the original design, that Joe Namath made famous

7. Bengals - Tiger stripes are memorable, unique

8. Cowboys - The star is known everywhere

9. Dolphins - 18-0 got them recognized, Marino and Ace Ventura kept them famous

10. Redskins - Purely homeristic :point2sky:

I'd agree if the Chargers, Vikings, and Browns weren't in there.

Vikings: 0-4 in the Super Bowl (same as the Bills. I'd argue the Bills over the Vikings because they went to 4 in a row)

Chargers: 0-1 in the Super Bowl (you could argue Jets, Redskins, or Giants over the Chargers easily)

Browns: never been to the Super Bowl. Didn't even have a team for a few years after the original Browns moved to Baltimore (then won a Super Bowl)

Bears are there because of the Super Bowl shuffle. Dolphins are there because of 18-0

The Chargers and Browns have a rich AFL tradition and the Vikings went to 4 super bowls in the 70s.....

I'll never understand why people like the dolphins logo. The colors are pastel puke horrible. Dolphins, while I respect them as intelligent mammals, are for little girls. Also the dolphin is wearing a helmet which I never understood. It's by far the worst in the league to me.

True.

But at least they tried. Few teams have ever put less effort into helmet design than the New York Giants.

I know the cowboys helmet is iconic, but it's also just clipart. Browns is probably the least effort though, granted they were formed when logo's weren't on helmets.

I'll never understand why people like the dolphins logo. The colors are pastel puke horrible. Dolphins, while I respect them as intelligent mammals, are for little girls. Also the dolphin is wearing a helmet which I never understood. It's by far the worst in the league to me.

Definitely agree :yes:...using dolphins for a logo is one step above using unicorns lol.

I know the cowboys helmet is iconic, but it's also just clipart.

:rotflmao: Clip art...perfect description lol :yes:...Yes, it's iconic but the article said they were basing it on artistic merit...how anyone could give that generic star any artistic merit points is beyond me.

lol! You know you love our Native cow puke fan.

Sorry, but there is absolutely nothing about the skins helmet that is pleasing to the eye. The side view of a native american stereotype wrapped in a circle with some feathers hanging down? Not my idea of a good looking helmet. I don't expect a skins fan to agree and thats fine by me. The older helmets with the arrow or spear, now thats a different story.

Sorry, but there is absolutely nothing about the skins helmet that is pleasing to the eye. The side view of a native american stereotype wrapped in a circle with some feathers hanging down? Not my idea of a good looking helmet. I don't expect a skins fan to agree and thats fine by me. The older helmets with the arrow or spear, now thats a different story.

And it starts!! I'm not saying our helmet is the best or worthy of top 10, but I knew someone couldn't just say they don't like it without throwing this in. So what kind of native american picture would you have that isn't so "stereotypical?"

Native American stereotype? Look closer, we aren't sporting the Cleveland Indians logo. Ours looks cool and nothing stereotypical about it.

I think the feathers outside the ring border are a nice touch that sets us apart, artistically.

Why the Rams helmet isn't first in any poll on "best looking helmet", is beyond me. The Eagles and Vikings try that kinda art logo, and fail hard. Rams were one of, maybe the first, team to have a stylish logo on their helmets. And it's still the best aesthetically, IMO.

And it starts!! I'm not saying our helmet is the best or worthy of top 10, but I knew someone couldn't just say they don't like it without throwing this in. So what kind of native american picture would you have that isn't so "stereotypical?"

Like I said in my post. Take the old spear logo, maybe modernize it a tad, put it on the burgundy helmet, and I think you would have a definate top 10 helmet.

Like I said in my post. Take the old spear logo, maybe modernize it a tad, put it on the burgundy helmet, and I think you would have a definate top 10 helmet.
I find the current Redskin helmet more appealing than many on the list. My favorite Redskin helmet is the old maroon spear logo.

I've never liked the generic logos where they simply style the initials of the teams name.

My top 10 would be:

1) Houston Texans

2) Denver Broncos

3) Oakland Raiders

4) Washington Redskins

5) Atlanta Falcons

6) New Orleans Saints

7) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

8) Minnesota Vikings

9) Buffalo Bills

10) Baltimore Ravens

Archived