Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

tr1 might have been right all along about DeMarcus Ware...

Hitman21ST

This might not make sense to many on the board, but Ware is often lauded for his ability to drop back in coverage when needed. You must remember that the primary focus of a 3-4 olb is to rush the passer. When Mike Zimmer was the defensive coordinator he would often send out Ware in coverage, but over the past couple years in Phillips system he has been asked to rush the passer more. In fact I include this snippet from a bleacherreport article which grades the cowboys OLBs by seperating Pass Rushing, Run Stopping, and yes even Passing Coverage. The Following is Ware's grade for pass coverage:

"Pass Coverage: A-

Ware isn’t asked to drop into coverage often (only 11.5 percent of all pass plays), but he’s solid when he does. According to Pro Football Focus, Ware allowed just 27 yards on 11 attempts that came his way in 2010. Not bad considering he covers players that are generally quicker than him."

Not bad guys thats about 2 yards a pass.

This might not make sense to many on the board, but Ware is often lauded for his ability to drop back in coverage when needed. You must remember that the primary focus of a 3-4 olb is to rush the passer. When Mike Zimmer was the defensive coordinator he would often send out Ware in coverage, but over the past couple years in Phillips system he has been asked to rush the passer more. In fact I include this snippet from a bleacherreport article which grades the cowboys OLBs by seperating Pass Rushing, Run Stopping, and yes even Passing Coverage. The Following is Ware's grade for pass coverage:

Ware isn’t asked to drop into coverage often (only 11.5 percent of all pass plays), but he’s solid when he does. According to Pro Football Focus, Ware allowed just 27 yards on 11 attempts that came his way in 2010. Not bad considering he covers players that are generally quicker than him."

That's a bleacher report article. Not exactly the cream of the crop when it comes to journalistic integrity. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it was a Cowboys fan who wrote that.

That's a bleacher report article. Not exactly the cream of the crop when it comes to journalistic integrity. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it was a Cowboys fan who wrote that.

Yo Hit...with all due respect, I dont care if Demarcus himself wrote it, the facts are the facts. 11.5% is not a lot....but does show statistical data that he has in fact dropped in coverage. 27 yds on 11 rec is also Statistical data to prove that he has good stats when he does drop. I would like to see out of that 11....how many attempts when his way (to see the % of completions to go in his direction. and the fact that he only gave up 27 yards doesn't exactly spell D. Revis, because most of those are swing passes (im sure) and he is a sure tackler.....but indeed I am sure he has dropped into a few hook/curl zones and defended some passes to some TE's........I have seen every snap of every game and I will tell you that he has. I just do not have video proof of it............unfortunately

EDIT: there is a clip on you tube, where he drops off the rush and into a short zone (VS the Eagles) and Spenc gets the sack fumnble........Ware comes in and scopes the ball up and scores........Why do i mention that, just because it clearly shows him in coverage.....which he does do.

No one has ever said he is Revis or AWESOME-WAUGH! but he isnt Mike Jenkins either..........He can cover (mostly playing in a Zone).....

Heck two T-Givings ago there was a play where he ran step for step on a wheel route with the RB......the announcers made a big deal out of it. the play was an incomplete pass, but the announcers were in awe (of course its Dallas and almost all of em are in awe) over his step for step with the RB.......i wish i had a better memory right now to say which RB it was????

Yo Hit...with all due respect, I dont care if Demarcus himself wrote it, the facts are the facts. 11.5% is not a lot....but does show statistical data that he has in fact dropped in coverage. 27 yds on 11 rec is also Statistical data to prove that he has good stats when he does drop. I would like to see out of that 11....how many attempts when his way (to see the % of completions to go in his direction. and the fact that he only gave up 27 yards doesn't exactly spell D. Revis, because most of those are swing passes (im sure) and he is a sure tackler.....but indeed I am sure he has dropped into a few hook/curl zones and defended some passes to some TE's........I have seen every snap of every game and I will tell you that he has. I just do not have video proof of it............unfortunately

do you even have statistical proof? as of right now we just have the 'word' of a random internet poster saying he read it off of a site that is known for letting anyone write an article....hey did you know i read on a website once that Michael Westbrook QB'd the redskins to a super bowl victory? i don't have an article or video proof, but it was on the interwebz so it must be true...

:rolleyes:

I'd probably agree with you on that, most are probably swing passes and therefore not exactly designed to get 20+ yards. But trying to use the "27 yards on 11 receptions" argument is more of a testimony to his closing speed and tackling than his coverage.

I'd want to see the completion rate, too. Just to see how well he actually DOES cover.

Oh, and you're "I've seen it, just can't prove it" is kinda sketchy :paranoid: :silly:

You can throw out anything you'd like but I can point to the fact that prior to Wade getting there Cooley used and abused him regularly. He may not be as bad as Andre Carter dropping into coverage but he isn't even close to being good. I'm guessing his grades are skewed by the fact that every other receiver is running scott free against Dallas' crap ass secondary. No need to throw it underneath when Gerald Sensabaugh is futily trying to cover someone 15 yards farther downfield.

They are doing it right now.

who?

and before you go into that, most if not EVERY SINGLE cowboys fan SCREAMS at the TV on any passing down that D Ware is NOT rushing the passer. I know for a fact we all do it. I watch the games with nothing bu Dallas fans......sometimes at the games, sometimes at a party...or Damons.......BUT NO MATTER WHAT and WHERE we are during the games, WE (Dallas Fans) want to see Ware rushing the QB on all passing downs.......

like i said the use of Demarcus Ware in coverage (on passing downs) could/would and SHOULD get a DC fired!

I say "passing downs"...because there are plenty of 1st and 10's or 2nd and shorts...where he (Ware) will back off into coverage once he sees its a pass play. by design........

I hope i am explaining that correct......on some plays, Wad's def will have a 5 man front and both OLB"s will go on snap, if its a pass or play action (on occasion) one of the two OLB"s will get back into the Flat for coverage........

You guys do watch football right?

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 01:47 PM ----------

You can throw out anything you'd like but I can point to the fact that prior to Wade getting there Cooley used and abused him regularly. He may not be as bad as Andre Carter dropping into coverage but he isn't even close to being good. I'm guessing his grades are skewed by the fact that every other receiver is running scott free against Dallas' crap ass secondary. No need to throw it underneath when Gerald Sensabaugh is futily trying to cover someone 15 yards farther downfield.

exaggerate much???.....ABUSED.......him REGULARLY........come on man..........we are trying to have a real talk, and no one respects Cooley more then me......but to say that he abused Ware on a regulator basis....

ok i am done with this for the day. I gotta go......post all you want please, and I will be back tomorrow to debate it

And i will keep my cool to (sorta)

hahahahaha abused Ware on a regular basis........i cant take you serious now....hahahahah

lol too true

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 01:52 PM ----------

exaggerate much???.....ABUSED.......him REGULARLY........come on man..........we are trying to have a real talk, and no one respects Cooley more then me......but to say that he abused Ware on a regulator basis....

ok i am done with this for the day. I gotta go......post all you want please, and I will be back tomorrow to debate it

hahahahaha abused Ware on a regular basis........i cant take you serious now....hahahahah

fc85535_oh_he_mad.jpg

As for the facts are facts argument, I will play the medium guy here. It's not from the Bleacher Report, where facts are not facts, but with all do respect, here is an article from Monday about Mario Williams, which mentions D.Ware in it. I would take the "source" (even though it's Peter Queen), and his "buddy" at footballoutsiders.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/10/mail/index.html

I asked my friend Aaron Schatz of FootballOutsiders.com, a site that studies tape of every NFL game, what he thought of the move, and to work up some stats on Williams and Ware to see how much each pressured the passer in recent seasons. "To be honest,'' Schatz said, "I don't think Mario Williams as outside linebacker is that crazy. The strongside linebacker [in Phillips' defense] only rarely drops into coverage and the weakside linebacker almost never drops into coverage. Last year, our game charters had Ware in coverage on six passes. That's it. [Antwan] Applewhite, the weakside linebacker in San Diego, was in coverage on just nine. Williams makes more sense there than as a five-technique end.'' The five-technique end has run and rush responsibilities and lines up on the outside shoulder of the offensive tackle.

So those number above are a bit off, and this plays into the argument of Ware is a product of a system. He does NOT cover people and why should he? He #1. get's after the QB and #2. Is more of a "run stopper" instead of coverman.

Haters will hate.

I can't stand the Cowboys either, but let's face it. To say that Ware is a product of a system and not a complete football player is stupid. There is no such thing as a complete football player. Everyone has flaws, and the system Ware plays in, suits his strength. I would take D.Ware and his production anyday, if we had the system and personnel to go with it.

As for the facts are facts argument, I will play the medium guy here. It's not from the Bleacher Report, where facts are not facts, but with all do respect, here is an article from Monday about Mario Williams, which mentions D.Ware in it. I would take the "source" (even though it's Peter Queen), and his "buddy" at footballoutsiders.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/10/mail/index.html

So those number above are a bit off, and this plays into the argument of Ware is a product of a system. He does NOT cover people and why should he? He #1. get's after the QB and #2. Is more of a "run stopper" instead of coverman.

Haters will hate.

I can't stand the Cowboys either, but let's face it. To say that Ware is a product of a system and not a complete football player is stupid. There is no such thing as a complete football player. Everyone has flaws, and the system Ware played in, suits his strength. I would take D.Ware and his production anyday, if we had the system and personnel to go with it.

there fixed it for ya

people keep forgetting, doughboy is gone, no more pizza parties and it's a different defense. you might as well be comparing jim haslett to greg blache

there fixed it for ya

people keep forgetting, doughboy is gone, no more pizza parties and it's a different defense. you might as well be comparing jim haslett to greg blache

Yes, totally agree and thanks for the fix. But there's no way Rob Ryan will play Ware in space either, on a more times then not basis.

Yes, totally agree and thanks for the fix. But there's no way Rob Ryan will play Ware in space either, on a more times then not basis.

no disagreement there, just making sure for those out there who don't know any better :)

The point is (as Wade has pointed out), Where is a product of scheme. That's not to diminish that he's an okay athlete, but he ISN'T a COMPLETE player...making him much, much less than an ALL TIME GREAT.

Puke fans think he's HOF material...he isn't.

He can't dominate a game, as many COMPLETE defensive players have in the past.

His numbers are a result of the scheme he's in AND exception play by others AT TIMES on the d-line.

Is this that hard to understand?

Your points of view are rarely difficult to understand, tr1. The problem is that they are not as well-reasoned as you seem to believe and much of what you try and present as fact is actually just a matter of personal opinion.

To call Ware a product of the system is to suggest that his talents would not enable him to succeed in a different system. You can make a case for that if you wish and, with enough evidence, you could even make it a rather compelling case. However, making a convincing argument for the opposite point (that Ware would make for a good 4-3 DE, for example) would likely require far less effort. That really says something about the subject, IMO.

I certainly wouldn't anoint the man a Hall of Famer or an all-time great yet. That will really depend on what he does over the next four to five years, his production so far merely leaves the door open to that possibility. Oh and as to the line highlighted in red... what player doesn't benefit from the play of their teammates every now and then? Come on, tr1. :ols:

Bleacher Report is garbage but the stats are cited from PFF, who actually do a pretty good job of putting out meticulous statistical breakdowns of those kinds of things.

I can't stand the Cowboys either, but let's face it. To say that Ware is a product of a system and not a complete football player is stupid. There is no such thing as a complete football player. Everyone has flaws, and the system Ware plays in, suits his strength. I would take D.Ware and his production anyday, if we had the system and personnel to go with it.

Exactly. If you wanted to extend the type of argument being employed by tr1 to ridiculous proportions you could make a claim that Lawrence Taylor wasn't a great player because he couldn't play CB.

It's not an exaggeration at all. Not even a little. OR SHOULD I TYPE IN CAPS TO MAKE MY ARGUMENT SEEM MORE VALID!!!!

The Skins specifically targeted Ware in coverage prior to StayPuft getting the job. You can bury your head in the sand and deny it all you want but it doesn't make it any less true. Sorry....ANY LESS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly. If you wanted to extend the type of argument being employed by tr1 to ridiculous proportions you could make a claim that Lawrence Taylor wasn't a great player because he couldn't play CB.

But LT could cover. Take Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis for example. They can blitz, stop the run, tackle, and cover, both in man-to-man and zone. Ware is a liability in coverage. You form a scheme to cover up that weakness, and he gets ridiculous sack numbers. That's all well and good, but the guy can't cover. If you want to be labeled a complete, good linebacker, you need to be able to do everything.

Is he an elite pass-rusher? Definitely. Is he an elite linebacker or football player? Not in the least. When he's not on the line (in a two or a three point stance) in Wade's 5-2 front, his sack numbers are going to decrease.

But LT could cover. Take Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis for example. They can blitz, stop the run, tackle, and cover, both in man-to-man and zone. Ware is a liability in coverage. You form a scheme to cover up that weakness, and he gets ridiculous sack numbers. QUOTE]

Ware plays outside linebacker in the 3-4. Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis are inside linebackers in the 3-4. Those are two completely different positions. The primary focus of a 3-4 olb is to rush the passer, and for a 3-4 olb Demarcus Ware is amongst the best at pass coverage, as I've shown proof of in my previous posts in this thread. 66 drop backs and 11 receptions for 27 yards against him. Unfortunately due to the nature of the position, and the amount of importance put on rushing the passer, I've yet to see a statistical comparison amongst the elite analysts on pass coverage rankings for 3-4 outside linebackers. The role of an INSIDE linebacker in the 3-4 is to read the offense and either defend the run or pass. Many times these inside linebackers are lined up against tight ends and even receivers. For the cowboys, Demarcus Ware has never really been a liability in coverage, but they'd rather have him rush the passer as he is arguably the best at the game in that spot. It is a pretty moot point to determine the effectiveness an outside linebacker in the 3-4 in pass coverage, but I have yet to see Ware blow coverages or routinely get beat while in coverage. So I don't really understand the point of this debate. It's kind of like comparing quarterbacks by their blocking abilities.

The point is (as Wade has pointed out), Where is a product of scheme. That's not to diminish that he's an okay athlete, but he ISN'T a COMPLETE player...making him much, much less than an ALL TIME GREAT.

Puke fans think he's HOF material...he isn't.

He can't dominate a game, as many COMPLETE defensive players have in the past.

His numbers are a result of the scheme he's in AND exception play by others AT TIMES on the d-line.

Is this that hard to understand?

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 10:04 AM ----------

VCD has become a favorite puke fan poster of mine...he lives in reality.

A 5-2 system, however, will always produce a guy with good rushing stats...that's what it's designed to do.

Will you cry when he is inducted?

Ware plays outside linebacker in the 3-4. Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis are inside linebackers in the 3-4. Those are two completely different positions. The primary focus of a 3-4 olb is to rush the passer, and for a 3-4 olb Demarcus Ware is amongst the best at pass coverage, as I've shown proof of in my previous posts in this thread. 66 drop backs and 11 receptions for 27 yards against him. Unfortunately due to the nature of the position, and the amount of importance put on rushing the passer, I've yet to see a statistical comparison amongst the elite analysts on pass coverage rankings for 3-4 outside linebackers. The role of an INSIDE linebacker in the 3-4 is to read the offense and either defend the run or pass. Many times these inside linebackers are lined up against tight ends and even receivers. For the cowboys, Demarcus Ware has never really been a liability in coverage, but they'd rather have him rush the passer as he is arguably the best at the game in that spot. It is a pretty moot point to determine the effectiveness an outside linebacker in the 3-4 in pass coverage, but I have yet to see Ware blow coverages or routinely get beat while in coverage. So I don't really understand the point of this debate. It's kind of like comparing quarterbacks by their blocking abilities.

Ray Lewis has played in a 4-3 also, and excelled in rushing the passer and blitzing. Ware did get beat, fairly often actually, while he was trying to cover Cooley. Where are you getting your "66 dropbacks" number? Last year, he had 6. Total. Even if it were 66, there's no reason to believe that there were only 11 completions against him when the quarterbacks had much better options in throwing to receivers deeper, since the Cowboy's secondary is their biggest problem on defense. Why throw underneath when you can go deep?

Ray Lewis has played in a 4-3 also, and excelled in rushing the passer and blitzing. Ware did get beat, fairly often actually, while he was trying to cover Cooley. Where are you getting your "66 dropbacks" number? Last year, he had 6. Total. Even if it were 66, there's no reason to believe that there were only 11 completions against him when the quarterbacks had much better options in throwing to receivers deeper, since the Cowboy's secondary is their biggest problem on defense. Why throw underneath when you can go deep?

Ray Lewis would be a 4-3 middle linebacker, Demarcus Ware would be a 4-3 defensive end. The one game he did play as a defensive end in 2006 against Detroit he posted 3 sacks. Once again, Ray Lewis and Demarcus Ware both play completely different positions so to compare their coverage skills is pretty pointless. If you want to compare Ware's coverage skills to anyone, compare him to other 3-4 linebackers or 4-3 defensive ends. You will see that he is among the best. Also, this is the only place I've ever found any criticism of Demarcus Ware's pass coverage. He's widely considered an all purpose linebacker. I've yet to see proof of Chris Cooley 'beating him fairly often'.

Don't get yourself too hung up on the fact that Ware is dubbed a linebacker. Given the way that Dallas played the 3-4 under Wade Phillips and the specific role Ware played you'd be better of comparing him to a pass-rushing, 4-3 end than you would an inside linebacker or a 4-3 outside linebacker.

Link please.

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 08:08 PM ----------

To say that Ware is a product of a system and not a complete football player is stupid. There is no such thing as a complete football player. Everyone has flaws, and the system Ware plays in, suits his strength.

Has he ever dominated a game the way Ray Lewis? Answer: No.

Where is a product of puke hype, scheme and exception play by another guy on the d-line.

Oh, and here's some simple proof: Though the pukes' defense SUCKED last year, Where was a statistical sweetheart.

It's because of the scheme.

Period.

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 08:14 PM ----------

Lawrence Taylor was a great player (though I hate to admit it.) He beat one of the greatest lineman in the league like a drum (in fact, one could make the argument that Taylor is the ONLY reason Jacoby is not in the HOF.)

That someone would mention Taylor in the same thread as Where just prove my point about the over-board amount of hype the pukes' players receive.

Where isn't a bad athlete...he just has glam numbers because of the scheme he's in.

This season will prove my point.

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 08:15 PM ----------

It's not an exaggeration at all. Not even a little. OR SHOULD I TYPE IN CAPS TO MAKE MY ARGUMENT SEEM MORE VALID!!!!

The Skins specifically targeted Ware in coverage prior to StayPuft getting the job. You can bury your head in the sand and deny it all you want but it doesn't make it any less true. Sorry....ANY LESS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!

Puke fans can't handle FACTS...:rotflmao:

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 08:17 PM ----------

Will you cry when he is inducted?

Look, I've seen the pukes have 13 Pro-bowlers in a year where they couldn't win a playoff game.

Nothing will surprise me.

---------- Post added May-11th-2011 at 08:19 PM ----------

Don't get yourself too hung up on the fact that Ware is dubbed a linebacker. Given the way that Dallas played the 3-4 under Wade Phillips and the specific role Ware played you'd be better of comparing him to a pass-rushing, 4-3 end than you would an inside linebacker or a 4-3 outside linebacker.

A 5-2 pass rushing specialist...period.

Then why does ESPN list him as a linebacker, and their columnists ranked him as one of the 10 best linebackers in the league? If he's going to be called a linebacker, you grade him out as one, and compare him to the truly great linebackers. The truly great linebackers can cover as well as tackle.

Then why does ESPN list him as a linebacker, and their columnists ranked him as one of the 10 best linebackers in the league?

Because he plays from a two point stance much of the time and it is his official listed position.

If he's going to be called a linebacker, you grade him out as one, and compare him to the truly great linebackers. The truly great linebackers can cover as well as tackle.

You grade players according to their ability to play their role, not their ability to play every role. At an absolute minimum, you have to be smart enough to recognize that what a 3-4 OLB does is not at all like what a 3-4 ILB, 4-3 OLB, or 4-3 MLB does. Comparing Ware to Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, or Jon Beason is asinine. Comparing him to Suggs, Woodley, Harrison, Hali, Matthews, or even Lawrence Taylor is fair.

Archived