Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B/R: Day 3 Recap, Final Draft Grade

ballin86

I give them a B+ just because of the lack of a QB and I'd have liked to have seen one more offensive lineman drafted. But it's highly possible that, just like at QB, Shanahan believed more in some of the guys we already have on the roster (meaning younger guys like Erik Cook and Selvish Capers) more than anyone available in the late rounds at the position. I like the job we did at WR. I've got a good feeling about Helu, as Shanahan's always had a knack for finding the gems at RB - not to mention I watched a couple of Helu's games in college and think the way he runs transfers very well to the NFL level, especially in our offense. Obviously, love the Kerrigan pick. Not sure about the Royster pick - thought it a bit superfluous after drafting Helu when Torain and Williams did such a good job for us AND we've already got about 4 other guys on our roster. But I think this draft made us a better team. Maybe not necessarily in 2011, but for 2012 on, and that's what's important. I've got a lot of long-term confidence in the direction of our franchise coming out of this draft, and that's something I haven't felt in several years.

B+ sounds good. Though I might even give them an A- considering that they lacked anything past 2nd round up to the fith, but managed to pick up an extra 2nd and then turn all that around into a 3rd, 4th, and more 5ths and 6ths.

The players that they did pick up, I absolutely love the Hankerson pick, and I'm beginning to really like the Kerrigan pick too. I'm not sure what their connection to Nebraska is but it seemed like they were trying to draft that whole team. I don't know anything about the Nebraska players but I like that we have tried to upgrade at WR, RB, and CB as well as DL. I think they could have done better with the DL pick in the second round. He seemed like a reach, but I'm happy to wait and see how he performs before criticising. They know more about him than I do.

Over all I am very impressed with how they managed the draft and what they were able to accomplish. I give them high grades for the magic they were able to work.

---------- Post added April-30th-2011 at 10:58 PM ----------

As for QB, I'm also happy that they didn't waist their time on thse sub-par pool of QB players. The odds were always against these players being a franchise QB and none of them are any better than what we have so it wasn't worth the pick. I'd rather wait until we have a better QB pool to pick from and that's exactly what they are doing.

I am giving them a C. They drafted one Offensive Lineman late.

You cannot make up decades of neglect without drafting young talent.

I don't care about the QB issue, because you could put any starting franchise QB behind the Redskins current line and they will get murdered, so it makes sense to not to draft a QB in that situation.

But to spend draft picks on a deliberately blown up top ten defense is just freaking stupid. Shanahan had plenty of time to evaluate the Redskins prior to being employed. If he didn't see the problems with the O-Line, given the offense he and his son run, then he is just another has been taking Danny boy's money. If he did see it, and is ignoring it, that is unfathomable to me.

Teams do need defense, but must have the capability to hold on to the ball to keep the defense fresh and score points. This years Redskins don't look like they have advanced in that area based on the draft.

Those giving them B's are looking through their homer glasses and giving Shanahan too big a hug thus far.

Yeah, I'm leaning B-... Maybe C+. I thought day one was an A+. Day two is debatable but I'm very pleased with the Jarvis Jenkins pick. Could he have made it to #49? Maybe, but I read that the Skins wasn't able to trade the #41 pick. So, they got their guy at #41. But, by trading the #49 pick, they gave up on Ben Ljalana who I thought would have been a sure starter perfect for the ZBS and our running game improves greatly. Why do I think our running game needs to improve? Because if we traded just one three-and-out in each game with a scoring drive of only a field goal, our season, at best, is 12-4. But arguably 9-7 with this year hope for improvement. And to sustain drives, you need better and more consistent blocking. Plus, we add another four or so minutes in TOP which reduces the points potential of the opposing team. Yet the picks we got by trading back with Indy, then later on with the Bears, was a starting receiver and a starting running back. On paper, I say they're starters which shows how bad our current WR and RB situation is. But without improved OL play, how are these two going to make much of a difference? The fifth through sixth round picks are basically special teams / practice squad / camp-fodder.

So, I guess I would rather have three for-sure starters of high caliber than two plus two OK starters. But without O-line improvement, the two OK starters on offense don't amount to much. On paper that is. Let's hope Eric Cook, Selvish Capers, and some free agents can deliver!

C+

o went over board on both WR and RB at the expense of OL and DL

o ignored BPA that sometimes coincided w/ position of need

o didn't draft a developmental QB

o traded down from a quality pick (3rd round) to gain marginal picks not much different then UDFA w/ high rated prospect still on the board

* Love the Hankerson pick

* Love this quote from Jarvis Jenkins

:“I can get in and do whatever anybody asks me. . . . I’m all about winning. I’ll sit there on two knees if that’s what they want me to do.”

*Kerrigan seems like a fit for Hasletts type of OLB big dude that can play stout at the POA and can rush the passer some and the dude causes fumbles

C+

o traded down from a quality pick (3rd round) to gain marginal picks not much different then UDFA w/ high rated prospect still on the board

BPA is and always will be nothing more than an opinion.

I always hate the BPA mantra. How do you know who was the BPA? Because some NFL Network guy or ESPN guy told you so? :ols:

Then how do you know it wasn't? Because of how you feel about the pick?

I have no clue who was BPA, neither do you, or NFL analysts, or ESPN analysts. I have no feeling for any pick. The Redskins picked who they think will perform well in this franchise, and the only thing that will prove BPA is performance on the field. If you have some secret sauce to know who to pick, I would love to hear it. :)

I have no clue who was BPA, neither do you, or NFL analysts, or ESPN analysts. I have no feeling for any pick. The Redskins picked who they think will perform well in this franchise, and the only thing that will prove BPA is performance on the field. If you have some secret sauce to know who to pick, I would love to hear it. :)
You're confusing BPA for a prediction of who will become the best player.

It might be a fine distinction but it does exsist.

If you want to challenge the concept of BPA then your argument isn't with me its with the draft establishment.

If it makes you feel any better I'll preface my statement thusly: according to ESPN draft tracker the Redskins rarely chose the BPA available the exception being Leonard Hankerson/Niles Paul who were actual value picks, Kerrigan was at value and most of the other picks were below value.

But, not only that if you follow college football or have been following the draft coverage before this week or reading some draft magazines you get an idea of where players are valued or projected.

I give them a B+ just because of the lack of a QB and I'd have liked to have seen one more offensive lineman drafted. But it's highly possible that, just like at QB, Shanahan believed more in some of the guys we already have on the roster (meaning younger guys like Erik Cook and Selvish Capers) more than anyone available in the late rounds at the position. I like the job we did at WR. I've got a good feeling about Helu, as Shanahan's always had a knack for finding the gems at RB - not to mention I watched a couple of Helu's games in college and think the way he runs transfers very well to the NFL level, especially in our offense. Obviously, love the Kerrigan pick. Not sure about the Royster pick - thought it a bit superfluous after drafting Helu when Torain and Williams did such a good job for us AND we've already got about 4 other guys on our roster. But I think this draft made us a better team. Maybe not necessarily in 2011, but for 2012 on, and that's what's important. I've got a lot of long-term confidence in the direction of our franchise coming out of this draft, and that's something I haven't felt in several years.

Pertaining to the RBs..your basically saying that last year's RB core was the best that we could do. Picking up Royster is simply improving the RB position and the depth we have.

1 Ras-I Dowling DB Patriots 86

2 Aaron Williams DB Bills 88

3 Andy Dalton QB Bengals 86

4 Colin Kaepernick QB 49ers 81

5 Jabaal Sheard DE Browns 87

6 Ryan Williams RB Cardinals 88

7 Akeem Ayers OLB Titans 88

8 Bruce Carter OLB Cowboys 84

9 Jarvis Jenkins DT Redskins 78

10 Brooks Reed DE Texans 90

11 Kyle Rudolph TE Vikings 89

12 Titus Young WR Lions 83

13 Rahim Moore S Broncos 83

14 Orlando Franklin OG Broncos 79

15 Lance Kendricks TE Rams 81

16 Stefen Wisniewski C Raiders 62

17 Benjamin Ijalana OT Colts 73

18 Marcus Gilchrist DB Chargers 78

19 Da'Quan Bowers DE Buccaneers 91

20 Marvin Austin DT Giants 86

21 Stephen Paea DT Bears 85

22 Jaiquawn Jarrett S Eagles 78

23 Rodney Hudson C Chiefs 83

24 Shane Vereen RB Patriots 73

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Brandon Hogan DB Panthers 73

2 K.J. Wright OLB Seahawks 66

3 Da'Norris Searcy S Bills 54

4 Clint Boling OG Bengals 83

5 Jordan Cameron TE Browns 65

6 Sam Acho DE Cardinals 75

7 Luke Stocker TE Buccaneers 74

8 Roy Helu RB Redskins 56

9 Christian Ballard DT Vikings 78

10 Kris Durham WR Seahawks 44

11 Quinton Carter S Broncos 75

12 Colin McCarthy ILB Titans 72

13 David Arkin OG Cowboys 63

14 Edmond Gates WR Dolphins 77

15 Gregory Salas WR Rams 76

16 Chimdi Chekwa DB Raiders 65

17 Cecil Shorts WR Jaguars 65

18 Kendall Hunter RB 49ers 76

19 Casey Matthews ILB Eagles 64

20 James Brewer OT Giants 72

21 Jalil Brown DB Chiefs 74

22 Delone Carter RB Colts 64

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 D.J. Williams TE Packers 62

11 Karl Klug DE Titans 54

12 Joshua Thomas DB Cowboys 78

13 Shiloh Keo S Texans 66

14 Jacquizz Rodgers RB Falcons 71

15 Dejon Gomes S Redskins 31

16 Roderick Issac DB Jaguars 30

17 Denarius Moore WR Raiders 46

18 Dion Lewis RB Eagles 72

19 Jason Pinkston OT Browns 58

20 Ahmad Black S Buccaneers 70

21 T.J. Yates QB Texans 46

22 Jeremy Kerley WR Jets 63

23 Richard Sherman DB Seahawks 30

You're confusing BPA for a prediction of who will become the best player.

It might be a fine distinction but it does exsist.

If you want to challenge the concept of BPA then your argument isn't with me its with the draft establishment.

If it makes you feel any better I'll preface my statement thusly: according to ESPN draft tracker the Redskins rarely chose the BPA available the exception being Leonard Hankerson/Niles Paul who were actual value picks, Kerrigan was at value and most of the other picks were below value.

But, not only that if you follow college football or have been following the draft coverage before this week or reading some draft magazines you get an idea of where players are valued or projected.

So everyone has the same--or even similar--board? Heard Kiper's top 10 available lasted into the 6th, minus 2. How do you know the picks weren't the BPA's on the Skins draft board? I mean really dude, that's a borderline retarded argument.

I don't know about everybody else but I'm actually glad they don't draft players based off what Mel Kiper's opinion of who's the best available, especially when 1/2 the time the guy isn't going to fit our current scheme. Vinnie isn't here anymore and if that's how you draft then why even pay scouts and a GM? You can just let it run like Madden auto-draft and be done with it.

So everyone has the same--or even similar--board? Heard Kiper's top 10 available lasted into the 6th, minus 2. How do you know the picks weren't the BPA's on the Skins draft board? I mean really dude, that's a borderline retarded argument.
So creating a strawman argument is considered a valid form of argument?

Shouldn't your argument have something more behind it then 'you heard'?

When did I say I knew the Skins draft board and how do you know if they were or weren't rated higher on the Skin's draft board?

I would give my opinion of your argument and it wouldn't contain borderline.

I hope this post isn't over your head in the same manner my previous post was, because I was very clear the means I used to arrive at my conclusion.

Hail

I guess we just have different definitions of BPA. To me, BPA is completely subjective according to team and their draft board (or an individual sitting on his couch with his own "draft board"). Unless they're the Dallas Cowboys, we don't know who a team's BPA is at any given time. Your BPA is based on some **** ESPN put together. So according to you, the Skins didn't go BPA...according to ESPN.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Your BPA is based on some **** ESPN put together. So according to you, the Skins didn't go BPA...according to ESPN.

Yeah, basically he's saying hey Mel, just make all our picks for us. We don't need scouts or a GM and coaches to be involved. Just because that's what Vinnie did doesn't make it right.

I am giving them a C. They drafted one Offensive Lineman late.

You cannot make up decades of neglect without drafting young talent.

They've drafted four Olinemen in the past two years

So creating a strawman argument is considered a valid form of argument?

Shouldn't your argument have something more behind it then 'you heard'?

When did I say I knew the Skins draft board and how do you know if they were or weren't rated higher on the Skin's draft board?

I would give my opinion of your argument and it wouldn't contain borderline.

I hope this post isn't over your head in the same manner my previous post was, because I was very clear the means I used to arrive at my conclusion.

Hail

Shouldn't you argument have understanding that every team in the league has created their own talent board and none of them match Mel Kypers, none of them match ESPN's? Maybe they took BPA based on THEIR SCOUTING REPORTS.

BPA is not defined as Mel Kipers list, or ESPN's list. If there was a master BPA list, then everyone would get a copy. There isn't, it's a matter of opinion.

C+

* Love the Hankerson pick

* Love this quote from Jarvis Jenkins

*Kerrigan seems like a fit for Hasletts type of OLB big dude that can play stout at the POA and can rush the passer some and the dude causes fumbles

We are 98% in total agreement regarding the assessment of this draft DG. I really think we passed on some solid OL & DL prospects in the 5th, 6th, 7th rounds.

Archived