Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dear Front Office... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

SoCalSkinsFan1975

I would liked for them to have taken Mallett in the second round but all in all I think this is a quality draft. While there's no such thing as a sure thing at QB or any position for that matter this year's class of QBs left me unimpressed. Obviously there are a lot of teams needing QBs. How else do you explain Ponder at #12. I'm really glad we didn't reach for him. As for the OL, yes we need help there but I think we're making strides there and will probably look for someone in FA. I think 3 years down the road we'll feel pretty good about this draft. I'm really excited about Hankerson. Kelly better get well and quick.

yeah except for we have a huge gaping hole at the most important spot on the team lol....they haven't done **** except fill holes and completely ignore the quarterback position, hoping that john beck can pull a rabbit out of his ass or something...we had so many opportunities to select our biggest need and didn't so i don't see why you are thanking them.

btw free agency hasn't began yet so you can credit us not trading our draft away to that.

No QBs in this draft were franchise-worthy QBs to Shanny, apparently. He thinks with a much improved defense, receivers, and RBs, we can make do with a stopgap for a year until next year's draft, which to a lot of draft pundits, has at least 5 franchise-type QBs.

I loved this draft. I was a little perplexed by the 2nd RB pick, but then I remembered we had another 6 picks or something after that. They picked guys who are hard workers and (with the exception of one Nebraska WR) guys who were high character. I'm excited to see what this Dirty Dozen can do.

It will be sweet to add these guys to the roster and see where they're at and where they fit. I really think we upped our team the right way this week, from the front 7 on D up. We've got a solid foundation on that side of the ball now and we can improve our WR corp drastically if a couple of these guys can make the team, even adding one of the RBs would be a huge improvement from last season.

This was exactly what a draft is supposed to be. Like a breath of fresh air instead of sitting on the edge of your seat hoping it doesn't get ****** up.

yeah except for we have a huge gaping hole at the most important spot on the team lol....they haven't done **** except fill holes and completely ignore the quarterback position, hoping that john beck can pull a rabbit out of his ass or something...we had so many opportunities to select our biggest need and didn't so i don't see why you are thanking them.

btw free agency hasn't began yet so you can credit us not trading our draft away to that.

You think the team is supposed to be competitive this year? Ha.

Welcome to rebuilding mode. Shanahan knows that not all of his picks this year will have an impact in the coming years. You take a bunch of players and keep the ones that pan out. That's how you build.

I'm pleased that we were able to upgrade at the Wide Reciever position. Something we've desperately been needing for the past decade even with Moss in the picture. Now we finally have some big body playmakers that we can go to in the end zone and on 3rd down. I just wish we would have gotten some decent O-linemen to go with them. I'm not sold on the DL out of Clemson. I'll have to wait and see what that pick was all about.

But overall I am quite impressed with how they handled the draft. We came in with half less picks then we came out, and in the end we got a good hull of players. We're bound to hit on a few of the late rounders. One of those WRs and RBs WILL make a contribution. The CB seems like a good role player too from what I've read.

Whether we upgraded is an open question until we see them on the field. We thought we upgraded at WR in 2006 and 2008 as well.

It would be nice if we were finally able to draft the first good WR since we drafted Art Monk, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think the problem about this draft was that the guys that might have been good fits to succeed here in Washington were all in positions where we would have had to trade up to get them, thereby giving up more picks. I'd much rather get as many players as we could and then get a QB next year than just get a QB (and a guy that's not a slam dunk, to boot) and fail to solve any of our other problems. That's the kind of thinking that creates a lot of busts, actually. Teams that draft a QB as their first piece but give up any chance to build a team around him are often looking for a new QB and a new head coach three or four years down the road. If we didn't have a mess at the receiver position, a lack of a consistent pass rush, if we weren't 31st in defense last year, I would be irate that we didn't take a QB out of the draft. But hey, we covered pretty much every other base, just about.

We got our OLB in Ryan Kerrigan.

Out of Hankerson, Niles Paul, Aldrick Robinson, we'll probably find a good wideout or two.

We got a couple of young DL in Jeremy Beal and the Jenkins guy.

We even added depth and competition at RB in Roy Helu and Evan Royster.

Another defensive back as well.

Even without drafting a QB who probably would have spent most of this year on the bench (because this QB class was very developmental), I'd say that this was a very good draft - the best we've had in years.

I think the problem about this draft was that the guys that might have been good fits to succeed here in Washington were all in positions where we would have had to trade up to get them, thereby giving up more picks. I'd much rather get as many players as we could and then get a QB next year than just get a QB (and a guy that's not a slam dunk, to boot) and fail to solve any of our other problems. That's the kind of thinking that creates a lot of busts, actually. Teams that draft a QB as their first piece but give up any chance to build a team around him are often looking for a new QB and a new head coach three or four years down the road. If we didn't have a mess at the receiver position, a lack of a consistent pass rush, if we weren't 31st in defense last year, I would be irate that we didn't take a QB out of the draft. But hey, we covered pretty much every other base, just about.

Out of Hankerson, Niles Paul, Aldrick Robinson, we'll probably find a good wideout or two.

Even without drafting a QB who probably would have spent most of this year on the bench (because this QB class was very developmental), I'd say that this was a very good draft - the best we've had in years.

All great points. I believe you hit on a great thought, in the big picture none of these are slam dunk franchise QB's. Just because they are named elite in the draft class does not mean they are elite in the grand scheme of the NFL. I can't say it enough, the new direction has me absolutely giddy to see how this turns out. I believe if we stay the course, we are looking at about 2013, or 2014 and we will be a legitimate contender.

This draft has been a welcome change but let's not go crowning these guys draft champions for one decent outing. Their hands were tied with no free agency this year and let's see how many 2012 draft picks they fork over when/if free agency starts this year.

Maye I missed something, but who is Jeremy Beal?

Andrew Luck comes out NEXT year, not this year, and if all the predictions based on our schedule are true, we'll be in position for him next spring. I think the front office is considering that when they make these picks. They want a team that'll be ready to succeed in 2012 with speedy skill players and a solid D.

rex/beck will start next year. we will select a top qb in 2012 that isnt overdrafted due to a crappy class. i dont think we will be as bad next year as you think though, we'll prob. be picking in the same area or better next year.

this is the best draft the skins have had in recent history. every pick filled a need, great manipulation of draft picks, and good value at picks overall. hankerson was our best pick, and the NT selection in round 7 was good. kerrigan will be very good for a long time. i like the jenkins pick as well. helu and royster will contribute this year. good job shanallen.

No way Luck comes here unless A. we are really really bad next season (we will be bad) or B. we give up a ton of picks for him. Some team will take him even though they a young QB, you cant pass on him, it will be a similar position SD was in a few years back...

I'm not so sure.. in looking at it, realistically the Redskins should likely be picking middle of the pack next year given we should improve a little, but not astronomically.

So many QBs went this year to teams that needed one, I have to wonder who is left that would be potentially picking above 15 or so that still would have interest in Luck.

Buffalo immediately comes to mind, Oakland as well, but they might still be sold on JC. Tennessee..

Of all the other teams down near the area where we'd likely pick, a lot of them have a young QB.

It's very possible that we may not have to necessarily move heaven and earth to consider Luck.

~Bang

I'm not so sure.. in looking at it, realistically the Redskins should likely be picking middle of the pack next year given we should improve a little, but not astronomically.

So many QBs went this year to teams that needed one, I have to wonder who is left that would be potentially picking above 15 or so that still would have interest in Luck.

Buffalo immediately comes to mind, Oakland as well, but they might still be sold on JC. Tennessee..

Of all the other teams down near the area where we'd likely pick, a lot of them have a young QB.

It's very possible that we may not have to necessarily move heaven and earth to consider Luck.

~Bang

your intuition is correct, i made a thread on it at the bottom of the page. there are 6 teams in the running compared to 11 this year. we have a full draft + a 4th for JC, so we do have ammo. we have a good shot at Luck, Barkely, and a couple other guys that are better than most of this years qb's. its gonna happen, not necessarily luck, but we will get our qb next year.

This draft has been a welcome change but let's not go crowning these guys draft champions for one decent outing. Their hands were tied with no free agency this year and let's see how many 2012 draft picks they fork over when/if free agency starts this year.

After the way our team has been handled for the last 2 decades, to me they ARE "draft champions"!!! :)

I am pleased, but I am also staying "Medium" :evilg:

The Mcnabb trade and not getting rid of Butersworth..... was not good

We got the additional 2nd because we did not value Gabbert highly and someone else did....from my understanding Jacksonville called Us, and if Gabbert is good, we made a mistake

Plus I think our later trades, value wise (chart) were at a loss

But

That we choose Value players that can benefit the team as starters now...maybe even into the 4th round and later...is great

That we are getting younger and we have the courage to trade both up and down to get value and players is also encouraging and shows flexability and planning

Draft is a craspshoot....we entered it with a plan....and we were logical in its execution AND its reworking on the fly

Also

For those that would have prefered an O-Lineman be drafted higher I give you this opinion....

When Shanny was ask specifically about O-Line he said "You might be ONE pick away"

Twice we had O-lineman taken from use just before we picked and I think Shanny mentioned that at the time of the Jaguars trade there were two people on our Board still there

I think maybe Pouncey © was a guy we had targeted and Just lost to Miami so we took our other guy Kerrigan

I have also heard about a report that had 2 clubs that would have drafted Jenkins if we had not used our first 2nd round pick.......This means we spent what we needed to get what we wanted and have a working intelligence network to strategize to get......VALUE

The concept of Spending as little as possible to get as much as we can and not Reaching will be beneficial in the long run

Having said that...I think we could have waited to draft Helu and not traded...but there were 9 RBs drafted in about 36 spots and we were 2nd in that run

Maybe Shanny knew when the run on RBs was gonna start? :thumbsup:

Also If Helu starts and works out...it will have been worth it

So I am "medium".....with a real optimistic outlook

Archived