Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reality: We Have 2 (4-3) Ends We're Trying to Convert to (3-4) OLBs/Ends

airs0ft3r

We have the 4-3 we maybe have Golston and Kemoeatu on the field. 3-4 we've got Fletcher and say Blades. They're more likely to get their hands on the ball.

Well, there was also a guy named Albert Haynesworth who was kinda good in the 4-3. But oh yeah, he was also irrationally transitioned into the 3-4. So...sure, as it stands today we need some 3-4 players. It's just a nice thing we're such a good team that we can afford to change to that and eschew a $100 million player, switch Orakpo, stymie all our LBs, etc. Nothing like rebuilding from a non-playoff team into an even worse non-playoff team.

Looks like I can save myself some typing by going through my own posting history...

I wouldn't make such a big deal out of position changes for guys transitioning from college to the NFL. The simple fact of the matter is that many of the good pass-rushing 3-4 OLBs in the NFL played 4-3 DE in college almost exclusively (Ware, Woodley, Hali, Dumervil, Suggs, and Phillips). The 4-3 OLB to 3-4 OLB list is actually substantially shorter (Harrison, Matthews, and Wake).

Excellent move down by the Skins. They grabbed a solid player and added a nice draft pick to their war chest.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243851

03/28/2011 - Best of defensive line prospects: Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue, 6-4, 267, 1...Kerrigan is working hard to shed the label of being an effort player. He clearly opened some eyes with a 4.67 40 at the combine, faster than any of the first-round end prospects who ran in Indy other than Quinn (4.62). It was impressive enough to draw 23 scouts to Purdue's pro day, where Kerrigan went through end and linebacker drills as some 3-4 teams are giving him a stronger look. He's already an excellent pass rusher with a nose for creating turnovers. Kerrigan leaves Purdue with 33?? sacks, 57 tackles for loss and a Big Ten-record 14 career forced fumbles

Strength: A taller defensive end, he plays with good leverage on the edge and gets under the pads and moves tackles into the backfield. Moves with blockers on the edge to prevent plays getting outside. Must improve using his hands to consistently disengage from blocks to make plays.

Tackling: Secure tackler inside and when chasing downfield. Excellent hustle to track down receivers and running backs downfield on short throws. Long, strong arms make it difficult for ballcarriers to elude his tackles. More of a drag-down tackler than explosive, but brings enough pop to force fumbles when attacking the quarterback. Lacks elite speed and has only adequate change-of-direction agility for his size; he might struggle to corral quick and elusive NFL backs.

Intangibles: Team captain and unquestioned leader of the defense. Off-the-charts work ethic on the field and weight room, equally excelling at both. Exceptional student-athlete, has garnered multiple Academic All-Big Ten and All-American honors during his career.

I recall reading that Kerrigan looked good in space when trying out -- don't recall if it was the Senior Bowl game or combine but i recall stumbling on that back then

I hope this is right. Playing beside Orakpo we will need Kerrigan to cover a fair amount and play well in space. I have faith in the FO and am confident that they wouldn't be converting him to LB if they didn't think he had the ability to play well in space.

34 defenses need top talent front 7 guys. This was an area we had to, and have to continue to address. Look at the SB. Two 34 teams. One of which just switched a couple seasons ago. Both using the same system our DC learned in.

I'm not saying we're ready to be world beaters, but we're trying to build a team in a cohesive way.

Anyways, as has been said, very few college teams run the same defense so it's normal to convert a DE to OLB. I'm sure we'll line up in 43 on some dones with those guys rushing from the ends. The good thing is not only can this guy rush the passer (33 college sacks!), but he can play the run.

Obviously the OP wasn't aware, and that's understandable, but as many have stated, most 3-4 OLBs were 4-3 DEs in college. The reality is that we aren't doing anything out of the ordinary.

Well for me at least the point is that if we'd simply continued with the 4-3, we would've been freer to draft other positions besides DLine. Because we had good 4-3 already set up. And I don't think it's in dispute that Orakpo for one did better 4-3 than 3-4 (?)

Archived