Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Jason La Canfora 's Twitter Redskins Looking to Move up to Number 2 Pick (Updated: NFL.com headline as well)

skinsrbeast

I have no idea if this is true. I saw some pretty cryptic tweets from jsteelz a few days ago that are making me think twice. Either JLC saw the tweets and is just making stuff up hoping it sticks, or JLC is days behind ES again, I'm not sure. Tomorrow will definitely be interesting.

The more am reading today the more i think its not happening so this is likely a debate that won't come to life on draft day. I've said it on this thread and many others, I am cool with whomever Shanny goes with, if he likes Locker at #10, trades down for Ponder, trades up for Gabbert whatever.

I just think we need a QB and badly, this article from today explains it well, I think

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/cheers-jeers/2011/04/redskins-have-go-qb

Im starting to think Shanny may be throwing this out there to prevent the Vikes jumping ahead of us for Locker. Have everyone think Blaine is our man and we dont care for Locker.

Im starting to think Shanny may be throwing this out there to prevent the Vikes jumping ahead of us for Locker. Have everyone think Blaine is our man and we dont care for Locker.

sssshhhhh. i think youre right.....

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 07:45 AM ----------

Jake Plummer wasn't exactly a superbowl winning QB either.

true, but he did take them to the afc championship game.

And Jay Cutler did nothing but throw interceptions his first 2 seasons. Heck, he's still throwing interceptions as I type.

not really. his first 2 seasons as a starter he threw 32 INT's (not great, but not horrible for your first 2 full years as a starter)- but, he also threw 45 TD's. he did have that one bad year in chicago. and that one bad game vs the skins. :)

How many highly touted Early Round QBs that everyone must have are just busts.....Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, etc.....We should concentrate the 10 and 41 with guys who can play IMMEDIATELY at positions like RT, WR, NT, DE, OLB.....If we need to draft a QB why not go later round Greg McElroy or someone like that might be on the board in the 5th round.

Only thing there is once Denver pick comes and goes they perhaps will sniff that out, they'd just have to trade with Dallas unless the Titans are real serious about Locker as some say they are

Ah, today the madness ends! Rejoice!

It's just beginning. If the season opens up today, it's going to be total madness with the trades of players and signing FA's on the same day as the draft. None of these NFL guys are going sleep at all for the next 48 hours. As fan, this is the perfect storm and something that probably will never come around again. (Only if the Season opens today though and that could go either way right now)

How many highly touted Early Round QBs that everyone must have are just busts.....Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Brady Quinn, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, etc.....We should concentrate the 10 and 41 with guys who can play IMMEDIATELY at positions like RT, WR, NT, DE, OLB.....If we need to draft a QB why not go later round Greg McElroy or someone like that might be on the board in the 5th round.

How many teams win the Superbowl without a franchise QB? It's VERY rare to find a good QB outside the first round never mind the 5th round. SD has a bust with Leaf, but they don't get scared off, later years they took Rivers. Bengals with Aliki smith, later Carson Palmer. Lions with Harrington, later with Stafford. Guys like Brady and Romo sits to pee are extreme statistical aberrations as opposed to common.

Only thing there is once Denver pick comes and goes they perhaps will sniff that out, they'd just have to trade with Dallas unless the Titans are real serious about Locker as some say they are

If Denver doesn't pick Gabbert and as long as he is on the board, any of those teams is potential trade partner. Buffalo may want to move down, the Bengals, anyone until he is off the board.

Yea, you're right. IDK, but im really starting to think Locker is going to be the pick @ 10 if he's still there. Just seems like if he was going to take him last year and there has been very little or atleast it seems like little talk about him he's the pick. But who knows.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 08:12 AM ----------

If Denver doesn't pick Gabbert and as long as he is on the board, any of those teams is potential trade partner. Buffalo may want to move down, the Bengals, anyone until he is off the board.

Im thinking Zona would be our best bet.

OK, but to the point of the post I was responding to, how does that relate to hiding that we want Locker at 10? And again why not just trade with the Cowboys at 9 if you want Locker and are afraid we are going to take him? Unless you are implying that we'd actually trade up for Locker.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 08:18 AM ----------

Yea, you're right. IDK, but im really starting to think Locker is going to be the pick @ 10 if he's still there. Just seems like if he was going to take him last year and there has been very little or atleast it seems like little talk about him he's the pick. But who knows.

Seems like the buzz changes by day -- yesterday the buzz seemed to be Ponder, saw Ponder pop up on one on the 980 insiders blogs and was mentioned if I recall by Reid yesterday on TV

Edit: To respond to my own question, thinking some, I guess you can say by dancing around like they want Gabbert they are trying to send the message that they don't like Locker and won't take him at 10.

OK, but to the point of the post I was responding to, how does that relate to hiding that we want Locker at 10? And again why not just trade with the Cowboys at 9 if you want Locker and are afraid we are going to take him? Unless you are implying that we'd actually trade up for Locker.

If Gabbert is still on the board, we still have potential trade partners. Your comment was that after Denver picks, that the Viqueens would sniff out that our real target is Locker.

---------- Post added April-28th-2011 at 08:26 AM ----------

Take it for what its worth, but a friend of mine who has gotten solid info before is telling me that if Gabbert doesn't happen and they do not have a good enough offer to trade down, they are happy with taking Ponder at 10.

Wow, I haven't heard that one. I just don't see it happening to be honest.

Take it for what its worth, but a friend of mine who has gotten solid info before is telling me that if Gabbert doesn't happen and they do not have a good enough offer to trade down, they are happy with taking Ponder at 10.

If they take Ponder at #10 they will be the talk of the draft, so hopefully they get that one right, Ponder's buzz is he's a late first rounder, low 2nd. If Ponder or Gabbert are our guys they are both on game changers right now, NFL Network

According to insiders on the board, who don't really have much of a reason to lie since they talked about the whole thing publicly (not just in PM, etc) AFTER the story broke somewhere else, Mike does like Locker but Kyle isn't that high on him. However, they are both apparently very high on Gabbert. I know most people don't want to trade up for anyone but the way things came out and what was said it seems that it is at least very possible that they want to do that. Will they? Who knows. Is it purely to drive up the price for someone else for whatever reason? I suppose. But with all of the different people chiming in this doesn't sound like one of your typical JLC "throw **** at the wall and see what sticks" stories.

If Gabbert is still on the board, we still have potential trade partners. Your comment was that after Denver picks, that the Viqueens would sniff out that our real target is Locker.

Yeah but I said they can wait it out until Dallas picks at #9. At some point I'd expect Gabbert to be gone, worse case to the Titans at #8.

Edit: To respond to my own question, thinking some, I guess you can say by dancing around like they want Gabbert they are trying to send the message that they don't like Locker and won't take him at 10.

Yea, if im the Vikes and we haven't shown much interest in Locker and say the Cowboys are picking and Jones & Quinn are still on the board which it seems we like both of these guys why risk trading a pick for Locker. Plus the Cowboys could increase the value of that pick say if the Rams are trying to get Jones before us. They could make out really well. But thats assuming Jones is still there which it doesn't look like he's going to be anymore.

According to insiders on the board, who don't really have much of a reason to lie since they talked about the whole thing publicly (not just in PM, etc) AFTER the story broke somewhere else, Mike does like Locker but Kyle isn't that high on him. However, they are both apparently very high on Gabbert. I know most people don't want to trade up for anyone but the way things came out and what was said it seems that it is at least very possible that they want to do that. Will they? Who knows. Is it purely to drive up the price for someone else for whatever reason? I suppose. But with all of the different people chiming in this doesn't sound like one of your typical JLC "throw **** at the wall and see what sticks" stories.

The thing about JLC, and i know the cool thing to do is hate him and say he gets everything wrong. He's not always wrong. I recall him pulling off some obscure stuff including on draft day saying they'd draft HB Blades before they did, etc. And his source when he broke the Cutler rumored trade to the Skins, was a guy on the Broncos, or so he said on his blog. A leak on the Gabbert thing too doesn't have to be from the Skins, it could be Denver.

I've posted enough on this thread about why I'd be cool with trading up for Gabbert or for that matter any deal up or down if Shanny thinks one of these guys is a franchise QB.

Yea i totally understand what you're saying. But in the past Shanny has never said anything about who he likes (according to what most people are saying). I just find it odd that he would throw that out there now. Especially when it involves such a big move. But who knows. Just hope we make the right moves and the right pick.

Yea, if im the Vikes and we haven't shown much interest in Locker and say the Cowboys are picking and Jones & Quinn are still on the board which it seems we like both of these guys why risk trading a pick for Locker. Plus the Cowboys could increase they value of that pick say if the Rams are trying to get Jones before us. They could make out really well. But thats assuming Jones is still there which it doesn't look like he's going to be anymore.

Just in general I'd hate it if the Cowboys trade down a few picks and still get their guy. I of course want that to be us.

Edit: This should be fun though, the stuff out there is so zany. We trade up for Gabbert, take Ponder early, take Locker early? Dolphins take Mallet early? vikings take Locker at 12? titans take locker at 8, Dalton at 8. the stuff circulating is funny stuff and probably at least some of it comes out to be true.

Yea i totally understand what you're saying. But in the past Shanny has never said anything about who he likes (according to what most people are saying). I just find it odd that he would throw that out there now. Especially when it involves such a big move. But who knows. Just hope we make the right moves and the right pick.

Shanahan didn't throw anything out there. He has been incredibly vague all offseason when talking publicly about QBs. What we know about it comes from people who are inside sources in the organization and know stuff that is happening behind the scenes. And even they didn't come out and start talking about it in here until after the story broke elsewhere because someone else (either with the Skins or Denver) let the cat out of the bag regarding a potential interest in trading up for Gabbert.

Shanahan didn't throw anything out there. He has been incredibly vague all offseason when talking publicly about QBs. What we know about it comes from people who are inside sources in the organization and know stuff that is happening behind the scenes. And even they didn't come out and start talking about it in here until after the story broke elsewhere because someone else (either with the Skins or Denver) let the cat out of the bag regarding a potential interest in trading up for Gabbert.

Right, but im pretty sure it has been posted or whatever that when he took Cutler he didn't tell anyone until the day of the draft. But idk. Just excited for tonight and cant wait to see what happens. :)

Right, but im pretty sure it has been posted or whatever that when he took Cutler he didn't tell anyone until the day of the draft. But idk. Just excited for tonight and cant wait to see what happens. :)

Ah I gotcha. I don't remember all the specifics about that. I know that the TEAM certainly didn't let on at all that they were interested in Cutler at all. But my guess is that people inside the organization knew that Shanny wanted him and had talked about ways to get him; it just never leaked. But I think that may have been more a factor of how different the media cultures are between Skins territory and Broncos territory. You could tell when Shanahan first started that he was a bit put off by how insane the media is here when it comes to football and the Skins. :ols:

Archived