Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offshore Outsourcing.....Just good business or unpatriotic?

@DCGoldPants

Companies? How about the 7.2 million undocumented workers that the government is doing little about?

Oh wow....someone better call Norfolk Southern railroad because you just tried to derail this whole thing....dear lord man off topic much? BTW, the number is probably closer to 11 million.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 09:38 AM ----------

I think we're establishing unrealistic expectations if we ask our companies to work outside the system our government has set up for them.

I didn't say I wanted them to work outside the system, the limits of the system are just that limits, CAFTA/NAFTA do not force any company to outsource jobs or even any percentage of jobs, they outsource because they want to outsource and those free trade agreements just make it easier and cheaper for them to do so. As such a company that doesn't outsource isn't working outside of the system at all. As per the last statement "that our government has set up for them", I would argue that the companies themselves have set up this system through the government, not the other way around.

They would be the ones the government is turning a blind eye toward.
I do agree that, in addition to stepped-up enforcement at the border, the government needs to stop turning a blind eye towards companies who make their business by hiring illegal workers.

Once the economy picks up again, we'll have unemployement around 6-7%. Out of those, how many would be willing to assemble parts or man a help desk station? Probably very few. So is outsourcing the jobs people here don't want to do hurting us much long term?

That's the same argument used to support the illegal worker situation in this country. They are "doing the jobs american workers don't want to do".

Yes. People will, and are able to do those jobs. Just not at $3/hr.

When President Clinton and the leadership from both parties pushed for free trade, it was pretty clear that corporations would be forced to look for cheaper products and labor overseas. Now that corporations are doing what everyone knew they would do when the laws were written, you want to label them unpatriotic.

I am as unconvinced that these businessmen are unpatriotic as I was that anti-war protestors were unpatriotic. Same song, second verse.

Two different things here Mardi. I don't know if these businessmen are unpatriotic. I can't speak to the individuals because this is too limited a view to form a conclusion on their quality of their character. The action of shipping jobs and profits out while executive pay explodes, however, is unpatriotic. Like I said earlier though business owners and executives tend to have either a legal or implied responsibility to their business. Some literally can't take altruism into account in their decision making while others have to worry about keeping their doors open. I completely understand what you are saying about the current system.

I've said it in other threads and it's worth repeating. Lower business taxes, close the loopholes, and provide one time amnesty for businesses that want to bring their profits back into the country. I don't mind deductions so long as they are based entirely on money invested back into business here in the US. No more rewards for offshoring jobs and profits. Frankly this action is something that should have been done by now and it's disappointing that leaders in DC have failed to do so.

Oh wow....someone better call Norfolk Southern railroad because you just tried to derail this whole thing....dear lord man off topic much? BTW, the number is probably closer to 11 million.[
Please... You were whining about 4 million jobs and I found you 7 million. It's just easier for you to complain about those who are actually providing jobs.

Funny thing our companies used to be patriotic. What happened? Serious question.

It's because of the way we do business and the tax loopholes our country affords to businesses. When you have to show profits to shareholders to increase stock revenues you are going to find ways to do things cheaper. Add on top of that the tax loopholes here and abroad, it only makes sense for the companies to do it. Like anything else it's about the money.

That's the same argument used to support the illegal worker situation in this country. They are "doing the jobs american workers don't want to do".

Yes. People will, and are able to do those jobs. Just not at $3/hr.

So is having a 4-5% unemployment rate vs. a 6-7% unemployment rate worth the hit our companies take in being more price competitive?

Oh wow....someone better call Norfolk Southern railroad because you just tried to derail this whole thing....dear lord man off topic much? BTW, the number is probably closer to 11 million.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 09:38 AM ----------

I didn't say I wanted them to work outside the system, the limits of the system are just that limits, CAFTA/NAFTA do not force any company to outsource jobs or even any percentage of jobs, they outsource because they want to outsource and those free trade agreements just make it easier and cheaper for them to do so. As such a company that doesn't outsource isn't working outside of the system at all. As per the last statement "that our government has set up for them", I would argue that the companies themselves have set up this system through the government, not the other way around.

Finally, something we agree on! It is my opinion that corporations have supported certain politicians who will enact legislation that benefits them. And I believe that both parties are complicit that has resulted in government by the corporations, for the corporations and of the corporations.

Archived