Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WRAL.com: NC considering paying students for good grades

DieselPwr44

would peoples' perceptions of this proposal change it were rephrased as:

"district X in state Y proposes to redirect a portion of its current "family assistance" funding through the school systems. Parents will now be required to provide school reports that demonstrate that their children have good school attendance/discipline records to qualify for $1000 of their previous outlay, which amounts to Z% of the total."

??

I don’t like the idea as it is proposed, but I do think that it would be wise to work to identify ways that will increase parents’ participation in motivating their kids to improve performance.

One way this idea could be tweaked – Maybe instead of just giving cash, allow students to become peer tutors if they meet attendance, discipline, and academic standards. You could have a program where a student could get paid to tutor students from 3-5pm after school. Then you are strengthening the link between education and work opportunities. For students who are not achieving, they could get extra help after school.

Paying studnets for grades means more parents who blame the teacher for "giving" their child a bad grade. This will further the passing the responsibility problem as parents will look to children to get good grades to help pay the bills. And the parents, will of course, complain at every chance if their child was "given" that bad grade. Never do they actually believe or want to believe that their child EARNED that grade.

This big time inflates the issue.

Horrible idea.

That, or it gives the parents incentive to do all the homework, projects, etc.

I pay mine. If they have an A average in all their classes at years end they get 200 large. One looks like she'll make it. The other will be very close.

isn't 200 large $200,000? Wow, are you an oilman down there or something?

---------- Post added April-16th-2011 at 01:18 PM ----------

I pay mine. If they have an A average in all their classes at years end they get 200 large. One looks like she'll make it. The other will be very close.

isn't 200 large $200,000? Wow, are you an oilman down there or something?

My teacher and I have email.

We use it after i found out she was not bringing quizes home.. A/B/C/F.. didn't matter. and losing points not fixing and turning in.

Now that I'm more involved again she's back on the A list.

Computer time is worth more than money.

I think we can all agree extra-curricular activities are very important in a child's development. Nobody would argue otherwise.

Therefore, I propose we pay children to play sports like football and basketball. $1000 annual contracts.

And, it attacks childhood obesity. I'm an idea man!

---------- Post added April-16th-2011 at 03:25 PM ----------

I think we can all agree extra-curricular activities are very important in a child's development. Nobody would argue otherwise.

Therefore, I propose we pay children to play sports like football and basketball. $1000 annual contracts.

And, it attacks childhood obesity. I'm an idea man!

Well, we're already busing kids, providing free lunches, and free breakfasts. Maybe we're missing a step, and should provide housing for the kids, before we start just paying them directly.

:silly:

But of course we don't have enough money to pay teachers more, or give teachers more money for supplies......

Archived