Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Florida Times-Union: Mike Pouncey believes Cowboys are front-runner (to take him with #9)

tr1

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/401949/michael-dirocco/2011-04-07/mike-pouncey-believes-cowboys-are-front-runner

Submitted by Michael DiRocco

Former Florida center Mike Pouncey created a bit of a furor on Twitter on Wednesday when he tweeted that he expected to be drafted by the Dallas Cowboys.

Pouncey had visited Cowboys’ Valley Ranch facility and was returning to Pittsburgh when he tweeted: “Headed back to Pittsburgh ... would be shocked if i wasn’t in a dallas uniform nxt year! The draft is april 28th so we will see ...”

The Cowboys have the ninth pick in the first round and none of the mock drafts posted by NFL experts have Pouncey going that high. It might have been Pouncey just riffing after a good meeting with Cowboys officials, but don’t dismiss it entirely. Players, if they’re smart enough, can gauge a team’s interest pretty well.

Tim Tebow knew the Denver Broncos were going to take him in the first round if none of the other teams picking ahead of the Broncos made a surprise move. You didn’t think they had boxes of hats for all 32 NFL teams there, did you?

The only honest opinions about the draft generally come from the players, anyway. GMs and coaches are either ultra-secretive or flat out lie about their draft plans. That’s why mock drafts are, for the most part, useless — regardless of whose name is attached.

of course he is "dumb" enough......we have all seen his drafting "track record"......Please let this one pass, and/or just being the situation of a kid trying to spark some interest. If Dallas passes up some good DB options at the #9 pick for this dude, Imma be livid! Dallas needs to get lucky and have one of those 2 big time CB's fall to them at #9....if not, the best Safety in the draft could go anywhere from 25-35. Drop back, pick up some extra picks (to blow on junk) and get the best safety available.

of course he is "dumb" enough......we have all seen his drafting "track record"......Please let this one pass, and/or just being the situation of a kid trying to spark some interest. If Dallas passes up some good DB options at the #9 pick for this dude, Imma be livid! Dallas needs to get lucky and have one of those 2 big time CB's fall to them at #9....if not, the best Safety in the draft could go anywhere from 25-35. Drop back, pick up some extra picks (to blow on junk) and get the best safety available.
Supply and demand of good interior linemen would be the only way Pouncey goes this high (or see Jerry's track record lol). Peterson will be gone but they will have a good shot at Amukamara at 9. It's possible both CB's are gone but a top DL will fall to them. If they don't get a good trade down offer, do they take a DL or reach on a need like Pouncey or another DB?

Mike Pouncey is dilusional if he believes that he is going to be chosen in the top 10 by any team. I'm not saying he isn't going to be a great guard, but he isn't top 10 caliber and good guards can be found in the latter part of the first round or even 2nd and 3rd rounds. Heck, Shanahan has found excellent guards in the 5th 6th and 7th rounds.

Supply and demand of good interior linemen would be the only way Pouncey goes this high (or see Jerry's track record lol). Peterson will be gone but they will have a good shot at Amukamara at 9. It's possible both CB's are gone but a top DL will fall to them. If they don't get a good trade down offer, do they take a DL or reach on a need like Pouncey or another DB?

who knows.....they have an awful track record for drafting anyways. I hope they get "lucky" and someone offers a lot of picks to move up to the 9 spot and they end up drafting 2-3 OL early....but thats just me. Most likely they will pick Prince if he is there or get the best DE available.....a 3-4 DE...that the need desperately. Or a OT at that spot....even if they reach for him, it would be fine by me, because keeping Romo sits to pee upright will be huge for their success next season.

The more time goes on the more I'm convinced that the Cowboys will trade up for Peterson or stay put and pick up Tyron Smith.
Makes too much sense ;) Plus Smith>Pouncey and just as much of a need
who knows.....they have an awful track record for drafting anyways. I hope they get "lucky" and someone offers a lot of picks to move up to the 9 spot and they end up drafting 2-3 OL early....but thats just me. Most likely they will pick Prince if he is there or get the best DE available.....a 3-4 DE...that the need desperately. Or a OT at that spot....even if they reach for him, it would be fine by me, because keeping Romo sits to pee upright will be huge for their success next season.
I don't recall Jerry ever taking an OL in the first round...they aren't splashy or flashy enough.

Makes too much sense ;) Plus Smith>Pouncey and just as much of a need

I don't recall Jerry ever taking an OL in the first round...they aren't splashy or flashy enough.

its what I would want and/or dream of, not at all something i think JJ will do. The only time he took OL was when Bill P had control, and most of those OL picks were atrocious to say the least........

Im a fan of drafting as many OL as possible in rounds 1-2-3....too bad the team i root for has an opposite take on it.

I'd be happy for a Patrick Peterson, but thats not gonna happen. Prince would be nice too......and most likely not gonna happen. What will JJ do, who the F knows????? Quinthy Carta available?

Who is the Quinthy Carta of this draft?

Can he snap the ball over Romo sits to pee's head on a consistent basis, and snap it right into his face when he is calling out an audible? If so: Look out Gurode, you awesome Pro Bowler! Your replacement is here.

Actually that is one of the biggest knocks on Pouncey. He's terrible at hiking the ball and might be a better guard then center.

Two things here. It's widely rumored that if Peterson gets to 6, Dallas has a trade scenario already worked out with the Browns. Any higher would be too costly and there is a very good chance, IMO, that he would be gone before 6. I don't now if this is true or not but that's the rumor.

The other thing I would say is that there could be something to this Pouncey rumor. However, it would not be a pick at 9. If this is true, it would more then likely be in a trade down scenario. The Cowboys do like him but not way at 9. If they take him, it will be after trading down IMO.

Two things here. It's widely rumored that if Peterson gets to 6, Dallas has a trade scenario already worked out with the Browns. Any higher would be too costly and there is a very good chance, IMO, that he would be gone before 6. I don't now if this is true or not but that's the rumor.

The other thing I would say is that there could be something to this Pouncey rumor. However, it would not be a pick at 9. If this is true, it would more then likely be in a trade down scenario. The Cowboys do like him but not way at 9. If they take him, it will be after trading down IMO.

It's widely rumoured that anyone anywhere can start unsubstantiated rumours and have draft sites, posters, and journalists pretend they are realistic or even true. I do agree with the rest of your post, I just hate the "rumours" we all hear that we take as fact so easily. The fact is none of us know anything about what goes on behind the closed doors, and most of what we do hear is probably smoke and mirrors or downright lies IMO.

It's widely rumoured that anyone anywhere can start unsubstantiated rumours and have draft sites, posters, and journalists pretend they are realistic or even true. I do agree with the rest of your post, I just hate the "rumours" we all hear that we take as fact so easily. The fact is none of us know anything about what goes on behind the closed doors, and most of what we do hear is probably smoke and mirrors or downright lies IMO.

I think I was pretty clear in the fact that I don't know how much validity that rumor has but I will tell you that it did not come from a draft site or anything of the like. Having said that, you are correct in that I am not at liberty to say how this rumor was developed so perhaps it actually is best that we discount that rumor for the time being.

Archived