Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Miles Austin not among the best WRs

HapHaszard

(this has to be true its from ESPN the Dallas everything station/website)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/25626/miles-austin-not-among-the-best-wrs

When the 2010 season ended, Miles Austin was 25th in catches (69), 14th in yards (1,041) and 21st in touchdowns (seven). He was also tied for 10th with 17 catches of 20 or more yards.

Austin was not the dominant receiver numbers-wise in 2010 that he was in 2009.

Yet, Austin is still an excellent receiver who threatens defenses with his run-after-catch ability. If there was one negative to Austin's game last year it was the career-high 10 drops.

Well in rankings among ESPN.com's NFL bloggers, they don't think much of Austin's game.

click on the link to continue reading

How things change. Remember a year ago when he was THE best WR in the league, better even than Andre Johnson? :ols: :ols: :ols:

:rotflmao:

All too well. I think it was TRPB and Mr. Jones who were actually arguing that. Don't worry though, I predict that next year Dez will start to be hyped as the best receiver in the league, too.

:rotflmao:

All too well. I think it was TRPB and Mr. Jones who were actually arguing that. Don't worry though, I predict that next year Dez will start to be hyped as the best receiver in the league, too.

I'm fairly certain all I argued was that Austin played better in 2009 but that he'd have to do it for a few years before he was a better WR than Andre Johnson. No one outperformed Austin on a per start basis in 2009.

Kitna was an upgrade from Romo sits to pee.

Actually Romo sits to pee had a higher completion rate, higher YPA, more TDs per attempt, fewer INTs per attempt (with 5 of Romo sits to pee's 7 coming off tipped passes) so no, I wouldn't say Kitna was an upgrade though he did play pretty well once Garrett took over.

I don't know how Desean Jackson makes it on to these lists. First he robs Hakeem Nicks of a Pro Bowl bid, and now he's supposedly elite. Jackson has never even had double digit TD receptions. Talk about overrated.

He has yet to top 65 receptions in a season, no double digit TDs, and has shown that if you don't give him the deep stuff, he's not nearly as productive. All the other receivers on the list can do it all, DeSean is a one-trick pony. Granted, he's one of the most dangerous deep threats, but that's all he is. He makes the highlight reels, and that's all people think of.

Nevermind that his quarterbacks don't throw him the ball in the critical situations, such as the last drive of the Packers-Eagles playoff game. Vick would rather throw it to Riley Cooper than Jackson. That's pretty telling.

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 11:24 PM ----------

Larry Fitzgerald approves of this message. :silly:

Somewhat...

Calvin Johnson approves of the message...

Yeah, Jackson is a great weapon to have, I'll admit. But he doesn't belong on a list of elite WR's (unless you're just talking about the NFC East, and even then he's 5th on the list)

Mike Wallace does everything Jackson can do, and more. I'd much rather have him.

funny how selective ES is when reading/comprehending ESPN articles.....hahaha This one fits the ES mold, so by all means it must be true.

And for the one that says Kitna was an upgrade....bwahahaha Instant credibility drop on your part.

Miles Austin IS NOT Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson.....Fitz...ect. HOWEVER he is a damn good top LEVEL #1 WR in the NFL. To say otherwise and to base it on that 1-year sample (disaster of a season) that the Cowboys lost their Starting QB in week 6..is just being unfair.

Face it, The skins would kill to have a WR as god as Miles Austin, unless your willing to say AA is better then Miles Austin As well as Dez Bryant????

funny how selective ES is when reading/comprehending ESPN articles.....hahaha This one fits the ES mold, so by all means it must be true.

And for the one that says Kitna was an upgrade....bwahahaha Instant credibility drop on your part.

Miles Austin IS NOT Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson.....Fitz...ect. HOWEVER he is a damn good top LEVEL #1 WR in the NFL. To say otherwise and to base it on that 1-year sample (disaster of a season) that the Cowboys lost their Starting QB in week 6..is just being unfair.

Face it, The skins would kill to have a WR as god as Miles Austin, unless your willing to say AA is better then Miles Austin As well as Dez Bryant????

Miles only has 1 season to base it on. He didn't play all that much before 2009. He had a solid year in 2009, 81 rec for 1320 yds and 11 TD. Good season. NOT all world, which is how he was hyped prior to last year. And then he had a "down" year in 2010: 69 rec for 1041 yds and 7 TD. His "beast" season was 12 more rec for 190 more yds and 4 more TD? He had a killer 2nd half in 2009. Then the league had tape on him. He is a good WR, but not great. He will never be the #1 #1 WR in the NFL. He might not even be Dallas' #1 WR. He gets hyped because he has a star on his helmet. Some would argue Dwayne Bowe is a better WR, but he plays in KC therefore ESPN doesn't know who he is....

Miles only has 1 season to base it on. He didn't play all that much before 2009. He had a solid year in 2009, 81 rec for 1320 yds and 11 TD. Good season. NOT all world, which is how he was hyped prior to last year. And then he had a "down" year in 2010: 69 rec for 1041 yds and 7 TD. His "beast" season was 12 more rec for 190 more yds and 4 more TD? He had a killer 2nd half in 2009. Then the league had tape on him. He is a good WR, but not great. He will never be the #1 #1 WR in the NFL. He might not even be Dallas' #1 WR. He gets hyped because he has a star on his helmet. Some would argue Dwayne Bowe is a better WR, but he plays in KC therefore ESPN doesn't know who he is....

well that settles it...He will NEVER be the #1 WR in the NFL????? Gee, thats not setting the bar high is it? The WR talent right now is outrageous, and would say that Miles Austin isn't and WONT be in the top 10...Does that take away from the fact that he is VERY GOOD???

If Miles Austin ends up the #2 WR on Dallas like you have said and many do agree with you, that shows more of how GOOD Dez is and not how bad Miles Austin is.......and if that does become the case in Dallas and Romo sits to pee is healthy for 16.....then that will be a very GOOD thing for us Cowboy fans.....because on top of that, they have the best TE in the League if not the best...top 3 in the Entire NFL.

well that settles it...He will NEVER be the #1 WR in the NFL????? Gee, thats not setting the bar high is it? The WR talent right now is outrageous, and would say that Miles Austin isn't and WONT be in the top 10...Does that take away from the fact that he is VERY GOOD???

If Miles Austin ends up the #2 WR on Dallas like you have said and many do agree with you, that shows more of how GOOD Dez is and not how bad Miles Austin is.......and if that does become the case in Dallas and Romo sits to pee is healthy for 16.....then that will be a very GOOD thing for us Cowboy fans.....because on top of that, they have the best TE in the League if not the best...top 3 in the Entire NFL.

So what happened to this time last year when Miles was being hyped as THE best WR in the NFL?

So what happened to this time last year when Miles was being hyped as THE best WR in the NFL?

by who???

Link please???

No way he was being hyped as the BEST in the WR...."one of the best" yes indeed, and i bet i was part of it...."the best" HELLZ NO!!! Present to me the links to that debate/discussion please....

Many might not consider Miles Austin to be an elite wideout yet, but he actually had a better set of metrics than any of the three other aforementioned contenders this past season.

seriously, every year KC comes up with metrics and different little bells and whistles to sell his book. BUT where does this say Miles is #1 in the NFL.......OR where is ANYONE else in this thread stating that Miles Austin IS the #1 WR in the NFL???

please........

seriously, every year KC comes up with metrics and different little bells and whistles to sell his book. BUT where does this say Miles is #1 in the NFL.......OR where is ANYONE else in this thread stating that Miles Austin IS the #1 WR in the NFL???

please........

Look at the last sentence in the article:

Simply put, as great as Johnson is, in 2009 he not only wasn't the best wide receiver in the NFL, but wasn't even the best wide receiver in Texas. That honor belonged to Austin.

Look at the last sentence in the article:

Stated by KC Joyner, based on 1 season and filled with the metrics, HE COMES up with and sells to people in his book.

Same metrics that used to show how good RW31 was when he played his first 5 years in the league for Dallas as a "pro-bowl" SS. I am asking you, outside of KC selling his book, and cherry picking some metrics to make his point, where are all the supports claiming that Miles Austin is The BEST in the NFL?

Archived