Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Schefter/SI: Doty ruled for Players in TV Case. Overturned Burbank's Decision. All TV Contracts violate CBA. Separate earing to come on the damages

NewCliche21

The union was decertified once before. As soon as a new CBA was reached, they recertified. If they were to decertify now, the NFL could seek legal action since it would appear that the NFLPA was not negotiating in good faith and wanted to reach lock-out status so they could decertify and sue. Good article in NYTimes on the matter of decertifying:http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/sports/football/02union.html

Thanks...that was very helpful.

It's obvious that the players salaries are increasing faster than everything else..

Anyone have the contracts for the #1 pick, over the past 10 years?

Their contracts are getting ridiculous.. I realize there's much more to this.

However, the Players should realize that PLAYING IN THE NFL IS A PRIVILEGE. If a couple million per year isn't enough for them, it shouldn't be hard to find players willing to play for 18% less than the current players, imo..

In the real world, the Owner of a company makes much much more than the employee.. Know your role..

[/RANT]

It's obvious that the players salaries are increasing faster than everything else..

However, the Players should realize that PLAYING IN THE NFL IS A PRIVILEGE. If a couple million per year isn't enough for them, it shouldn't be hard to find players willing to play for 18% less than the current players, imo..

In the real world, the Owner of a company makes much much more than the employee.. Know your role..

[/RANT]

I don't think any of the veterans are opposed to a rookie pay scale as everyone readily admits rookie salaries have gotten out of control. The owners already make much more than the players, though, so I don't get the "know your role" statement. If the company you work for is booming and bringing in more money consistently over 20 years, and your boss walks into your office and says he wants you to give up 18% of your salary, you're going to want to know why. If your boss then claims he is not making enough profit, but refuses to show you, you are going to "know your role" and hand over the money? Oh and your boss also says he wants you to work extra hours. I guess I'm missing something in your logic.

The salaries are based on a set % of total revenue taken in by the league (62.24% to be precise). The salaries have increased as the league's revenue (and owners profit) has proportionately increased.

Whining about the dollar amount is silly. What you should whine about is the percentage if you feel that players are over paid - but then your money is just going to other places (AKA Snyder's pockets).

Lesson: Dont try to take your case to court in this economic environment.. A judge will eat you Billionaires for lunch!

---------- Post added March-3rd-2011 at 01:45 PM ----------

The salaries are based on a set % of total revenue taken in by the league (62.24% to be precise). The salaries have increased as the league's revenue (and owners profit) has proportionately increased.

Whining about the dollar amount is silly. What you should whine about is the percentage if you feel that players are over paid - but then your money is just going to other places (AKA Snyder's pockets).

There you go.. You hit the nail on the head!

[/RANT]

Half the players bring in less than 900K/year (and they have higher employment expenses than most employees types). In the real world, the owners of the company usually makes more than any single employee (though, I've known situations were a certain employees do make more) and the highest paid individual player does make a lot less than the owner. However, almost all make a lot less than all total payroll (this is almost always the largest single cost and in most companies is greater than EBIT). In a talent-based business, just the top talent almost often make more in aggregate than the owner.

Half the players bring in less than 900K/year (and they have higher employment expenses than most employees types). In the real world, the owners of the company usually makes more than any single employee (though, I've known situations were a certain employees do make more) and the highest paid individual player does make a lot less than the owner. However, almost all make a lot less than all total payroll (this is almost always the largest single cost and in most companies is greater than EBIT). In a talent-based business, just the top talent almost often make more in aggregate than the owner.

The minimum salary in the NFL in 2010 for rookies was $325,000 For Vets it was $400,000. The Average NFL salary was $990,000, and the average signing bonus was $1.3M.

The minimum salary in the NFL in 2010 for rookies was $325,000 For Vets it was $400,000. The Average NFL salary was $990,000, and the average signing bonus was $1.3M.

That the average was 990,000 proves my original statement since most people make about less than average anyway. In the US for example, about 80% of the people earn less than average now. The closest average was to the median was a couple of years ago when about 75% of the people earned less than average.

[/RANT]

Your rant needs better facts.

That the average was 990,000 proves my original statement since most people make about less than average anyway. In the US for example, about 80% of the people earn less than average now. The closest average was to the median was a couple of years ago when about 75% of the people earned less than average.
100% make more than $325,000. That is a ton of money, no matter who you are. They have no employment costs, the clubs cover everything. They pay high taxes at ether 33 of 35%. They pay 6% max to agents. That means they take home ~$190,000/year. And that is for rookies only. t only goes up from there. They should have the ability to survive on their savings. If they don't have any, that is on them alone. No sympathy from me.

100% make more than $325,000. That is a ton of money, no matter who you are. They have no employment costs, the clubs cover everything. They pay high taxes at ether 33 of 35%. They pay 6% max to agents. That means they take home ~$190,000/year. And that is for rookies only. t only goes up from there. They should have the ability to survive on their savings. If they don't have any, that is on them alone. No sympathy from me.

Please keep in mind most probably have mortgages double of what we pay. Expenses much higher than what we pay. They have to, to not get taxed as much.

They also make that salary for four years and then most are out of the league. It is not as much as you think in the long run.

Each owner gets $132 million a year *guaranteed* to do with as they please under the current CBA. Show me proof that any one player earned that much in total salary DURING THEIR ENTIRE CAREER and I will buy the argument that a player is making more than the boss.

And don't waste my time with "signed contract for 10 years 120 million...". Proof that someone has been paid more than $132 million in their entire career. Not even Peyton has earned that kind of cash from the NFL checks. Once you see that, realize each owner gets this money EVERY YEAR!! This is unbelievable greed!

Each owner gets $132 million a year *guaranteed* to do with as they please under the current CBA. Show me proof that any one player earned that much in total salary DURING THEIR ENTIRE CAREER and I will buy the argument that a player is making more than the boss.

And don't waste my time with "signed contract for 10 years 120 million...". Proof that someone has been paid more than $132 million in their entire career. Not even Peyton has earned that kind of cash from the NFL checks. Once you see that, realize each owner gets this money EVERY YEAR!! This is unbelievable greed!

Is this for real? That doesn't even make any sense.

Why are you saying the player has to make that much? How does one players salary equate to this?

Also, please keep in mind, that $132M is the revenue sharing. Meaning the teams earned that money, but are sharing it equally to all teams. The owners own the team, so they should be making the most money out of this. This is like saying name me one employee making more than the owner of a business. Makes no sense to me, but I could be missing something.

Clubs do NOT pay the whole cost of employment. You go on to even show that they don't

That $325,000.00 is NOT a ton of money is self evident.

Archived