Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report - Redskins Mock Draft Rounds 1-7

mikedones

I find it funny how so many people think a kicker is a "wasted" pick. Kicker is one of the most important positions in football....I'm pretty sure Gano lost us at least 2 or 3 games last year. How many games have we lost in the past ten years because of our crappy kickers?

Ok, point out the several games that Gano lost us. I know he hit 4 game winning FG's. I know his accuracy wasn't the best, but he showed that one oh so invaluable trait for kickers, the ability to not get affected by misses and still come through in crunch time.

Suisham lost us several games, are you thinking about him?

Gano is a young kicker, he shows one very good trait for a kicker, we need to give this guy more time in the NFL to become reliable. Most young kickers are inconsistent when they first start.

I find it funny how so many people think a kicker is a "wasted" pick. Kicker is one of the most important positions in football....I'm pretty sure Gano lost us at least 2 or 3 games last year. How many games have we lost in the past ten years because of our crappy kickers?

I love this draft from top to bottom. We get our impact player at OLB on the other side of Orakpo. I'd rather will receiver needs through free agency bringing back Santana and picking up Sidney rice to add to a corps of Anthony Armstrong, Malcolm Kelly, and Terance Austin....but I wouldn't kick and scream if we took a huge WR with lots of upside in the second. I love the offensive line picks in the later rounds....I'd actually personally probably use that 2nd round pick for the best available G/C...but I'm glad this mock has us taking a couple lineman. NT is a must, and I don't think it is a good idea to spend a high pick on one if you can get a quality guy in the later rounds....NT don't have to be extremely skilled, they just need to take up space, be strong, and listen to the coaches. I love the Ponder pick in the 3rd...many people are worried about his elbow injury....but lots of people were worried about Drew Brees' shoulder injury before he went to the Saints...and look how that turned out. Devine is a guy I definitely want....but I think we'd be lucky to pick him up in the 5th, I can't see him getting to the 7th round.

We did spend a first twice on kickers. One didn't even make the team and the other, a top 10 selection, kicked for us 3 years before Lomabardi cut him. We did draft one in the second once who had a few good years with us. Most of our best kickers came of the street or were not pure kickers. Since 1964, 201 kickers have been drafted and most did not play a significant number of seasons on the team that picked them and many didn't even play at all!

Ok, point out the several games that Gano lost us.

Ok in 4 of the losses we had Gano missed a FG that if he hits we would have won or been tied

Week 2 he misses 2 FG's and we lost by 3 points

Week 6 he missed a FG and we lost by 3 points

Week 14 he missed 2 FG's and we lost by 1 point

Week 17 he missed a FG and we lost by 3 points

Not to mention out of the entire NFL he had the worst percentage of Field Goals by a country mile. He ranked lower 30's which is kinda impressive since there are only 32 teams out there for his percentages. 68.6% made sucks. I mean look at this

http://www.nfl.com/players/grahamgano/gamelogs?id=GAN308500

We need a better kicker. If he makes those kicks he missed that's 4 more wins and a playoff berth for us last year.

I like trading down to 15 and taking Ayers. Not sure about Hankerson in the 2nd round. Don't like Ponder, Devine (we have Banks/Austin) or drafting the kicker no matter how good Henery is. I like the late round OL men and the NT.

I actually really liked the idea of Devine. He had a down year, but his explosion (when healthy) is pretty awesome. We haven't had a homerun back in ages. Agreed on Ayers and his slow 40 today will push him back into that early 20 range probably. I don't like Hankerson either... there will be a really nice talent that slips to that spot.

Ok in 4 of the losses we had Gano missed a FG that if he hits we would have won or been tied

Week 2 he misses 2 FG's and we lost by 3 points

Week 6 he missed a FG and we lost by 3 points

Week 14 he missed 2 FG's and we lost by 1 point

Week 17 he missed a FG and we lost by 3 points

Not to mention out of the entire NFL he had the worst percentage of Field Goals by a country mile. He ranked lower 30's which is kinda impressive since there are only 32 teams out there for his percentages. 68.6% made sucks. I mean look at this

http://www.nfl.com/players/grahamgano/gamelogs?id=GAN308500

We need a better kicker. If he makes those kicks he missed that's 4 more wins and a playoff berth for us last year.

David Akers was 0-2 with us in his only game with us and we cut him... we know what happened to him. And it didn't happen right away. Akers was only 3-6 in his first year in Philly, on the roster for the entire season. But they showed patience.

His next year as the starting kicker he hit 88% of his kicks. It takes time for kickers to adjust. Mason Crosby was on the verge of getting cut two years ago. Nick Folk was cut by the Cowboys and went to the Jets.

We've put in the time with Gano. He's physically capable and he's shown signs of mentally being able to make it happen. If he's healthy this year I'd expect to see him in the mid-80s on percentage.

David Akers was 0-2 with us in his only game with us and we cut him... we know what happened to him. And it didn't happen right away. Akers was only 3-6 in his first year in Philly, on the roster for the entire season. But they showed patience.

His next year as the starting kicker he hit 88% of his kicks. It takes time for kickers to adjust. Mason Crosby was on the verge of getting cut two years ago. Nick Folk was cut by the Cowboys and went to the Jets.

We've put in the time with Gano. He's physically capable and he's shown signs of mentally being able to make it happen. If he's healthy this year I'd expect to see him in the mid-80s on percentage.

Exactly. Good post.

Give Gano another year. The previous posts about Akers are tight on target. Now who was the kicker for the Steelers in the Super Bowl? Hmmm, I think I remember his name. Didn't he used to kick for the Redskins? Let's ahve some patience.

I do not like this mock draft. Too optimistic.

Archived