Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly.com Sports - McNabb's status still unknown

c4man5282

Rich_Campbell Rich Campbell

McNabb's agent, Fletcher Smith, tells the Philly Daily News he expects McNabb to be traded or released: http://bit.ly/fmvo9n #Redskins

click on link in tweet for for blog....

INDIANAPOLIS - Redskins coach Mike Shanahan confirmed that he spoke Thursday with Fletcher Smith, agent for benched quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Shanahan said he has not spoken with McNabb since the season ended, and that McNabb's status won't be determined until after the draft, but he spoke of wanting a younger team of players who will be Redskins long-term. Smith indicated to the Daily News that he expects McNabb to be traded or released. *

- Les Bowen

The CBA negotiations is going to **** this up for the 'Skins. It's my understanding that no trades are possible right now. So, until there is a new CBA in place, the only options the 'Skins have are to keep McNabb or to release him.

As much as they would love to trade him, at the moment, due to circumstances outside of their control, they just can't.

Unless they just hold onto him until there is a new CBA, and then trade him for 2012 draft picks.

Given what I've read and my general feeling about both parties, I don't think that there's going to be a FA/Trade period before the draft. That really really screws the 'Skins with McNabb, possibly AH (who might have zero trade value at this point anyway), and maybe some of the other players they wouldn't mind trading for picks.

If the CBA drags out till August or later, it screws the Skins and McNabb. The skins can't trade Mcnabb till a CBA is reached, and probably no one will trade for him if he can't go thru a training camp with his new team. So the Skins are screwed and will be forced to release him for nothing. McNabb will end up being released and not get his bonus, and most likely won't have the time to get a starting QB job either. So, he is screwed too considering his playing clock is ticking..

Bad situation for all parties involved.

I dont understand why we couldnt trade him now. If guys are signing contracts , working out FAs, the Combine and the Draft, Whats the biggie? Send him To Arizona for a 3rd/4th, get Gabbert at ten.

Donovan Mcnabb will just be another painful reminder of our beloved Redskins. Oh Well least we tried something

Maaan this is a big cluster F@#^! Lost two picks to trade for him, cant trade him for draft picks because there's no CBA, and if we dont release him knowing that we dont want him it alienates the team again..Because we're holding a well respected veteran QB, hostage!

I just cant believe Shanahan took a leaking ship and crashed it into an iceberg before trying to repair it.

I dont understand why we couldnt trade him now. If guys are signing contracts , working out FAs, the Combine and the Draft, Whats the biggie? Send him To Arizona for a 3rd/4th, get Gabbert at ten.

Donovan Mcnabb will just be another painful reminder of our beloved Redskins. Oh Well least we tried something

You cannot trade players without a CBA in place, nor can their be OTA's, training camp, or trading players for picks. The only thing teams can do right now is release players.

There's no chance they release him outright.

I think there's a very good chance.

Coaches watch film. McNabb is nowhere near a franchise Qb yet he has a franchise QB contract.

And the Shanahans are clearly done with the guy. They benched him for Rex twice.

I think there's a decent chance McNabb isn't even starting in the NFL at the beginning of next season. Saw a report out of the combine that said lots of coaches think this.

We have to find a sucker. If not, we'll cut him outright.

I think there's a very good chance.

Coaches watch film. McNabb is nowhere near a franchise Qb yet he has a franchise QB contract.

And the Shanahans are clearly done with the guy. They benched him for Rex twice.

I think there's a decent chance McNabb isn't even starting in the NFL at the beginning of next season. Saw a report out of the combine that said lots of coaches think this.

We have to find a sucker. If not, we'll cut him outright.

Yeah, I know the league knows that McNabb is done, but he has more value both to the Redskins and the league than Beck. You dump Beck, no one picks him up. You dump McNabb, another team picks him up. Some team will be willing to trade a late rounder for him; the Redskins just need to be patient and keep him through preseason, if necessary.

Maaan this is a big cluster F@#^! Lost two picks to trade for him, cant trade him for draft picks because there's no CBA, and if we dont release him knowing that we dont want him it alienates the team again..Because we're holding a well respected veteran QB, hostage!

I just cant believe Shanahan took a leaking ship and crashed it into an iceberg before trying to repair it.

Maybe Shanny's taking the approach of wrecking the ship badly, just to test what is sturdy enough to keep.

I tried it with my waverunner, unfortunately its at the bottom of a bayou right now...lol

Archived