Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jonathan Joseph may escape tag; Kamerion Wimbley may hit market after all

pram11

Wimbley is 27-years old, coming off a 9 sack season and would probably be the best 3-4 OLB on the UFA market.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2011/02/raiders-lb-kamerion-wimbley-might.html

Joseph is a 26-year old, former 1st round pick who was long believed to be destined for the tag. In 67 career games he has 14 interceptions and 76 passes defended. Over the course of 16 games, that comes out to 3.34 interceptions and 18.1 passes defended per season. After Nnamdi, he's the best corner on the market and about to hit his prime years. IMO, he's the kind of young, productive player at an important position who is worthy of a big contract.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/02/22/no-tag-highly-likely-for-second-straight-year/

I know alot of you guys here want JJ but do we really need to spend money on another CB and have an expensive secondary when we should put that money towards a OL and front 7.

I would agree with this, but free agency is so scarce this year and I can't think of any free agents other than Davin Joseph that would upgrade our OL and he may get tagged.....so I just think the DL/OLB, and OL should be built through draft picks....apparently we have some good players already that Shanahan likes Lichensteiger and Montgomery. I am saying if there isn't anything in free agency that we can help upgrade the front 7 or OL then we need to seal up the back end. I don't think Barnes or Westbrook is a legitimate number 2 corner....I love Barnes/Westbrook in the nickel package.

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 09:51 PM ----------

The other point I would like to make about 3-4 defenses.....I feel that if the secondary outside of Polomalu and Taylor is very weak in Pittsburgh....a lot of the critics were labeling this as a weak point in the super bowl. A lot of people don't realize that when you run the 3-4 defense your secondary in particular your corners are sometimes more important than your pass rushers at times. I mean if you have two shut down corners it allows for more time for the rush. I feel that Joseph or even Nmandi would be hugeee additions.

I really don't see the FO spending big money on a CB. We seem to be following the Steelers defensive makeup and that doesn't involve top CB's. It involves a dominant front 7 and great safety play. Because of the constant pressure on the QB the CB's really aren't required to do much more then read and react. Rarely are they forced to cover a WR in man-to-man or be put on an island for extended periods of time.

I really don't see the FO spending big money on a CB. We seem to be following the Steelers defensive makeup and that doesn't involve top CB's. It involves a dominant front 7 and great safety play. Because of the constant pressure on the QB the CB's really aren't required to do much more then read and react. Rarely are they forced to cover a WR in man-to-man or be put on an island for extended periods of time.

You have the best sig on ES right now.

As for J. Joseph... I'm a big advocate for signing him if he costs less than Rogers. He's young and has talent. I don't think an OLB is that big of a priority to sign a 27 year old average prospect. We have Henson coming back and alot of young OLBs that we can experiment with on the other side of Orakpo since Rocky is going to be gone.

A lot of people don't realize that when you run the 3-4 defense your secondary in particular your corners are sometimes more important than your pass rushers at times. I mean if you have two shut down corners it allows for more time for the rush. I feel that Joseph or even Nmandi would be hugeee additions.

Isn't this equally true for the 4-3 and other defensive schemes as well?

Isn't this equally true for the 4-3 and other defensive schemes as well?

Not as much. In a 4-3, your corners have to be able to keep the run-threat from bouncing out of contain while handling cover assignments. That is, they are much more likely to have to read and react. Many 4-3 DCs build their defense from the outside in. In a 3-4, the task of containment goes primarily to the OLB whose rush or cover assignments generally put them in position to contain the outside run threat. That is, they can usually diagnose while they are flowing into their primary assignment. Most 3-4 DCs seem to build from the inside out. In a 3-4, the corner only has to read on his primary assignment instead of also checking the backfield which he'd have to do in a 4-3. Further, since the 3-4 still usually generates more confusion than a 4-3, the QB is less often less sure of his passing lanes when facing a 3-4 so he'll tend to put more air under the ball increasing closing time for the corner. Of course, there are ways to overcome this issue in a 4-3 (the primary method shuts down the run as a bonus).

I'd rather go after Wimbley. Joseph is going to command some huge dollars, and we already have a pretty big contract devoted to DeAngelo Hall. I'd rather let Carlos walk, bring in a mid tier corner in FA, draft a corner in the middle to later rounds if we can, and roll with those guys, plus Barnes, Buchanon, andWestbrook (all of whom I think have a chance to be strong contributors this year, especially Barnes). If we amp up our pass rushing with adding Wimbley and adding more muscle to our front 7, we won't need 2 pro bowl corners.

According to Schefter, teams are going to start using the RFA tenders again this year since technically, there's no CBA after March 3rd. I'll bet a lot of teams start blocking these mid-level guys from moving, like Joseph.

See, these are the things I am not understanding for when the new CBA is in store (whenever that is).

What if the rules for RFA's changes. How does all this apply?

Archived