Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Info needed on Nevada QB,(Colin Kaepernick)

Reaper 21

I think you're talking about Kaepernick (sp?)

480_10_Colin_Kaepernick.jpg

He's got decent accuracy, and he can make plays with his arms and legs. But holy crap, if he shaves his goatee he looks like Vin Diesel, and I don't want anyone who looks like this

vin_diesel_gay.jpg

on my team...

OK, now seriously. I don't think he's the guy for our offense. There are other QBs who IMO fit our style of play better than he does. He's definitely a project QB, and could turn into something eventually, but it'll be a while before he's a difference maker at QB in the NFL

He's talking about Colin Kaepernick. Supposedly, he had a great Senior Bowl. per GCOBB.com:

http://www.gcobb.com/2011/02/13/nevadas-colin-kaepernick-helped-himself-tremendously-at-senior-bowl/

He's being 'sold short' in this years draft because of poor/elongated throwing motion. It takes "forever to come out" they say.

He has a baseball background, and can throw a 95MPH fastball, so, strong arm.

If you ask around the league, you're getting vastly different responses about this guy, but, as they say, it only takes one team to like you. His Senior Bowl performance, along with his combine(which should be good) might push him into the first round. At 6'5, 225lbs, he has the Newton/Mallet size that so many like, but think Tim Tebow and bad mechanics when it comes to his draft status. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have any Heismans or National Championships to help him out.

At the moment, they say the teams interested in him range from us, to Minny, Miami, Arizona, San Fran, and Tennessee. The only team they're talking about getting him in the 1st round is the Redskins. So if he's projected to go 2nd round to 5 other teams, and our pick is as high as 10, I wouldn't fall in love with the guy.

He's talking about Colin Kaepernick. Supposedly, he had a great Senior Bowl. per GCOBB.com:

http://www.gcobb.com/2011/02/13/nevadas-colin-kaepernick-helped-himself-tremendously-at-senior-bowl/

He's being 'sold short' in this years draft because of poor/elongated throwing motion. It takes "forever to come out" they say.

He has a baseball background, and can throw a 95MPH fastball, so, strong arm.

If you ask around the league, you're getting vastly different responses about this guy, but, as they say, it only takes one team to like you. His Senior Bowl performance, along with his combine(which should be good) might push him into the first round. At 6'5, 225lbs, he has the Newton/Mallet size that so many like, but think Tim Tebow and bad mechanics when it comes to his draft status. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have any Heismans or National Championships to help him out.

At the moment, they say the teams interested in him range from us, to Minny, Miami, Arizona, San Fran, and Tennessee. The only team they're talking about getting him in the 1st round is the Redskins. So if he's projected to go 2nd round to 5 other teams, and our pick is as high as 10, I wouldn't fall in love with the guy.

There has been some talk about Kaepernick in the draft thread - if you do a search in there you will find quite a bit of info. He is an interesting prospect with very good size, athletic ability and a strong arm. He is raw though and has some mechanical issues with his throwing motion which make his release slow. He is also raw and played in a pistol spread offense which has not done much to prepare him for the NFL.

He was talked about originally as a mid round sleeper who is now rising after a strong senior bowl set some scouts to watching his tape. I have not seen him talked about as a first rounder though and he would be an enormous reach at 10. He will be there when we pick in the second round probably but even that is a bit high for him IMO.

Here's Chris Russell's (980 ESPN) report on Kaepernick

http://www.espn980.com/blogs/chris.php?action=blog&post_id=1779

1. Colin Kaepernick - QB - Nevada: Not a first-round prospect in my opinion, only because of how raw he is with a pro-style offense, and the lack of big time competition that he played against in college, but he just screams the p word, POTENTIAL.

Kaepernick, is a physical freak, in a good way. That much was obvious to the naked, untrained football eye, but backed up by a group that has the ability to really magnify it.

According to John Brenkus of the hit ESPN show, "Sport Science" www.twitter.com/Sport_Science -- "Colin Kaepernick was in the Sport Science lab yesterday, tested off the charts! A star in the making."

That testing in the Sport Science lab was done on Sunday, after flying from Mobile to Los Angeles, after Kaepernick played and practiced all week.

In the Senior Bowl game, Kaepernick, according to my notes and observations, he threw an interception on his first series that was a touch high, but could have been caught and went off the hands of the intended receiver. KJ Wright intercepted the pass.

On a last series before halftime, Kaepernick was a bit off on a busted coverage that if hit in stride, would have led to a huge touchdown. That's going to happen in the NFL, and there is no doubt Kaepernick needs some mechanical refinement, but you can't ignore the tools.

Two plays that illustrate his talent a little better without the video, occurred early in the 3rd Quarter, with the Nevada QB facing major heat from LB Colin McCarthy to his right. Kaepernick didn't budge, and fired a heater with perfect timing and accuracy for a nice gain. Later in that same drive, Kaepernick was under heavy pressure and rolled to his right. While running towards the sideline, with eyes down field, Kaepernick broke a tackle and gained a few yards on a completely broken play. He did it almost effortlessly. The series led to a field goal.

On another occasion, Kaepernick found a check down (Kendell Hunter) who was wide open on a 3rd-and-14 attempt at the first down sticks, and Hunter dropped it.

Kaepernick played in the 'pistol'(Shotgun, half-distance to center) offense at Nevada, and finished with over 9,000 career passing yards and 4,000 career rushing yards. Hard to beat that production, even against lesser profile teams.

All the way back in 2007, ESPN analyst Bill Curry called Kaepernick "the best young freshman quarterback I have ever seen in my life."

I have seen all of his home games for the last 2+ years (I didn't see all of his Soph year). In that time he's gone from a run first QB with pretty bad accuracy to a much more refined passer who completed I think close to 65% of his passes. He's physically as gifted as anyone in the draft and has great size, as has been mentioned he still has work to do on compacting his delivery. I also don't think I ever saw him take a snap from under center as he played in the Pistol offense his entire college career which puts the QB in a short shotgun (5 yards?) between the center and the RB and then kind of turns into an option read offense. The offense was largely run based, 2 years ago, they had 3 1000+ yard rushers and one of those was Kap. He has all the intangibles, he's a great kid and a super worker. IMO he's shown a great aptitude in learning how to become a QB, the growth I've seen in his game is pretty amazing. He led Nevada to the best season they've ever had and a 1 loss season with wins over Boise State, Cal, BYU and Boston College. From a school as small as Nevada, that's pretty amazing.

Having said all of that he's a project who I believe, even in the best of situations, needs 2-3 years before he starts and probably 5 before he's a legit QB in the league. He'll get there eventually I believe but that might be my homerism for him coming out. While I would love for the Redskins to draft him, I think we need a more NFL ready guy unless we pull off something in the FA market or via trade to lead the team for the next few seasons. Had McNabb not been benched, he would have been an hell of a mentor for Colin, but I just don't see how that could work out now though crazier things have happened I guess.

I read it on my insider account

no not really it was late last night

His point was probably that there's no need to come in here and start an "I Need Info" thread, when you obviously have the internet. You could just pose the same "question" to Google, and then come back here and add to the already-existing discussion about Kaepernick, even if its with more questions.

Archived