Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2011 Draft: Middle to Late round QBs

darrelgreenie

A look back at the QBs drafted in 2010:

Sam Bradfrod (1) Rams

16 games- 60.0comp% 18tds-15ints/ 6.0 YPA/ 76.5 QBR/ 63 rsh-1 TD 22.2% rsh for 1st down

Rookie of the year

Tim Tebow (1) Broncos

3 games +RZ appearances- 50.0comp% 5tds-3ints/8.0 YPA/ 82.1 QBR/ 227 rsh-6 TD 27.9% rsh for 1st down

Jimmy Clausen (2) Panthers

13 games- 52.5% 3tds-9ints/ 5.2 YPA/ 58.4 QBR/ 57 rsh-0 TD 8.7% rsh for 1st down

Colt McCoy (3) Browns

8 games- 60.6comp% 6tds-9ints/ 7.1 YPA/ 74.5 QBR/ 136 rsh-1 TD 35.7% rsh for 1st down

Mike Kafka (4) Eagles

John Skeleton (5) Cardinals

4 games- 47.6comp% 2tds-2ints/ 5.3 YPA/ 62.3 QBR/ 49 rsh-0 30.0% rsh for 1st down

his 62.3 rating wasn't that far off (starter) Derek Anderson 65.9

John Crompton (5) drafted/cut by Chargers on Patriots roster

Rusty Smith (6)

Dan LeFevour (6) drafted/cut by Bears on Bengals roster

Levi Brown (7)

(.......IF we don't draft a QB early)

Judging from last year's draft and barring a run on QBs the odds seem pretty good that even around our 5th round pick a good QB prospect will be available.

At this point there doesn't appear to be much separation from the top prospects and there seems to be more 1st-2nd round rated QBs then last year. (Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett)

This could push some talented QBs down in the draft and make someone from the group below available around our 5th round pick:

Kaepernick, Dalton, Stanzi, Ty Taylor, Devlin, Enderle, McElroy, J. Johnson, Potts, TJ Yates, Tolzien EDIT: Josh Portis

Acquiring an earlier pick* and to get within striking distance of Ponder would be ideal and it would likely ensure that we land a Stanzi, Dalton or Devlin.

*(package one of our 5th rounders + our extra 2012 4th from Campbell and acquire a 4th this year or via trade McNabb or Haynesworth etc)

Of the mid/late round QBs which do you like and why?

Good topic. For me, accuracy is overwhelmingly the most important trait, followed by height and mental aptitude, with arm strength being the fourth consideration. College success is also an overarching factor. Enderle, Tolzien and Yates I haven't seen enough of to know how to rank except that I consistently read that Enderle has major accuracy issues so wouldn't draft him.

Just from my impressions, the four most accurate comparatively are Devlin, Potts, McElroy and Dalton. Devlin and Potts get boni for height. I wouldn't guess at their comparative aptitudes, and none of these four seem to have an arm that stand out. Johnson, Taylor and Kaepernick have much better arms but seem to be less innately accurate.

I guess overall, with only the consideration I'm giving them as I type this and irrespective of draft stock, I'd rank them: Devlin, McElroy, Dalton, Potts, Stanzi, Kaepernick, Johnson, Ponder, Taylor.

Potts would rank higher, as he has excellent touch and height and a solid senior season, but he wasn't the winner that McElroy and Dalton were. Ponder's low ranking has a lot to do with his OU game and erratic career overall, while not having special traits otherwise. Taylor's just too small, but will be a very interesting specialty player in the NFL.

Of the mid/late round QBs which do you like and why?

I'd like to go with Kaepernick, but his delivery and mechanics scare me some. I think the 'big-arm is not that important' statement oft elicited during the countdown to the draft each year when evaluating QB's is very much said tongue-in-cheek. It's important and coaches know it.

Dalton or McElroy for me. I'm not sure if the arm is quite there for either guy, especially for the conditions an NFC east QB will have to endure, but overall; they both seem like pretty solid prospects.

Good topic. For me, accuracy is overwhelmingly the most important trait, followed by height and mental aptitude, with arm strength being the fourth consideration. College success is also an overarching factor. Enderle, Tolzien and Yates I haven't seen enough of to know how to rank

I have my general impressions of the prospects and have watched most of them play in a before.

But, I'm gonna have to search and watch more game and watch some prospects like Enderle and Tolzien; I haven't seen either of them throw pass.

I have my general impressions of the prospects and have watched most of them play in a before.

But, I'm gonna have to search and watch some more and watch some prospects like Enderle and Tolzien; I haven't seen either of them throw pass.

Mid to Late round the guy I'm watching is Enderle really raw type QB but a guy who you could mold into a starter with the right coaching. Has a big time arm and some nice mobility

McElroy because he has always won.

There is something about QB's that win consistently that can't be judged by a stop watch or video.

Dalton's won a lot of games too.

Is there anything about McElroy's physical skills that you like?

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 10:01 PM ----------

I'd like to go with Kaepernick, but his delivery and mechanics scare me some. I think the 'big-arm is not that important' statement oft elicited during the countdown to the draft each year when evaluating QB's is very much said tongue-in-cheek. It's important and coaches know it.

Yeah, Kaep got something funky going on with his motion that I want to take a closer look at, but he can rip it.

Yeah people toss around a lot of empty cliches and catchy sayings around draft time if arm strength wasn't important they wouldn't test it by radar at the combine.

My new favorite/pet peeve catchy term is: intangibles.

Dalton's won a lot of games too.

Is there anything about McElroy's physical skills that you like?

If I remember correctly, the first game McElroy ever lost was this year, going back to Junior High. There is just something about that to me.

I like his accuracy. Nothing else is that great. He is no Tom Brady, but I agree with ASF that McElroy could be a great sleeper pick.

McElroy is interesting to me for the same reason.. He just straight up wins. He is accurate, but what I like (even though it's college) is he makes good decisions and does so quickly.. If he can carry his accuracy and decision making over to the pros.. He could be special.. But yeah everything else is fairly average to me. His college stats are nice too.. Think he completed like 73% of his passes or something close to that.. 18 or 19 TD's with only a handful of interceptions. Would be great if we nabbed him.

If I remember correctly, the first game McElroy ever lost was this year, going back to Junior High. There is just something about that to me.
McElroy is interesting to me for the same reason.. He just straight up wins. He is accurate, but what I like (even though it's college) is he makes good decisions and does so quickly.. If he can carry his accuracy and decision making over to the pros.. He could be special.. But yeah everything else is fairly average to me. His college stats are nice too.. Think he completed like 73% of his passes or something close to that.. 18 or 19 TD's with only a handful of interceptions. Would be great if we nabbed him.

You should keep in mind that McElroy is aided by the luxury of having one of the best WRs and 2 of the best RBs in college football.

Also, Dalton is 25-1 over the same span of time that McElroy is 24-3.

If you like McElroy b/c the team he's on wins a lot then shouldn't you like Dalton as much if not more then McElroy?

You should keep in mind that McElroy is aided by the luxury of having one of the best WRs and 2 of the best RBs in college football.

Also, Dalton is 25-1 over the same span of time that McElroy is 24-3.

If you like McElroy b/c the team he's on wins a lot then shouldn't you like Dalton as much if not more then McElroy?

MWC=/=SEC

So by that same logic Joe Montana wasn't a QB worth having?

I should point out that I do not like Gabbert/Newton/any of the other top prospects, so I feel the Redskins should take a middle-round guy. If it is Dalton, I am fine with that. I just prefer McElroy.

Just from my impressions, the four most accurate comparatively are Devlin, Potts, McElroy and Dalton. Devlin and Potts get boni for height. I wouldn't guess at their comparative aptitudes, and none of these four seem to have an arm that stand out. Johnson, Taylor and Kaepernick have much better arms but seem to be less innately accurate.

I guess overall, with only the consideration I'm giving them as I type this and irrespective of draft stock, I'd rank them: Devlin, McElroy, Dalton, Potts, Stanzi, Kaepernick, Johnson, Ponder, Taylor.

Based on recent Kiper Q & A's. He seems to think Ponder will go 2nd or 3rd. Dalton, 3rd but someone might reach for him in the 2nd. Kaepernick -- 3rd thru 5th, but some mocks have him going in the 2nd. Devlin's apparent stock has dropped.

---------- Post added February-13th-2011 at 08:26 AM ----------

As for Kiper last thing I read about him talking about McElroy (and of course doesn't mean its going to happen that way) is he expects him to go undrafted. Lets say Kiper is wrong, i'd gather among the names we throw about on the board a lot, McElroy is likely at the moment to be there with our 5th rounder. Seems like right now, its a long shot to expect Ponder and Dalton to be there.

Based on recent Kiper Q & A's. He seems to think Ponder will go 2nd or 3rd. Dalton, 3rd but someone might reach for him in the 2nd. Kaepernick -- 3rd thru 5th, but some mocks have him going in the 2nd. Devlin's apparent stock has dropped.

*Re: Devlin I think people made the comparison to Flacco for obvious reasons; but Flacco has a hand cannon and that's why his stock sky rocketed especially after the combine when he had one of the strongest arms there.

Wow, Mel seems to be very bullish on the QBs.

Last year 4 QBs were taken in the 1st 3 rounds and this years group of top QBs (Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett) seem to be rated higher then last years group.

Although i don't agree, if Kiper is right that would have 5 QBs /6 if you include Dalton/7 if you include Kaep will be drafted in the 1st 3 rounds: Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett, Ponder, Dalton, Kaep.

Judging from last year's total of 10 that would 3 draftable QBs remaining from this group:

Stanzi, Ty Taylor, Devlin, Enderle, McElroy, J. Johnson, Potts, TJ Yates, Tolzien

BTW- Which QBs do you like?

Seems like right now, its a long shot to expect Ponder and Dalton to be there.

Yeah, I can certainly see Ponder being gone in the 5th; Dalton has a better chance but the still slim.

I think our best best is gain a 3rd or 4th round pick or kick the tires on Matt Flynn.

Geez, it's going to be a huge challenge, given the history of failed late rounders so no one should expect an absolute "hit" on a QB of the future. However, in the absence of talent separation, I would seek someone with great football work ethic and IQ traits. That would be Dalton IMHO. He's got those intangibles. Note - we are going to need to acquire a 3rd or 4th.

ROUND 4: Stephen McGee, Cowboys (101)

ROUND 5: Rhett Bomar, Giants (151); Nate Davis, 49ers (171)

ROUND 6: Tom Brandstater, Broncos (174); Mike Teel, Seahawks (178); Keith Null, Rams (196); Curtis Painter, Colts (201)

ROUND 5: John David Booty, Vikings (137); Dennis Dixon, Steelers (156); Josh Johnson, Buccaneers (160); Erik Ainge, Jets (162)

ROUND 6: Colt Brennan, Redskins (198); Andre Woodson, Giants (198)

ROUND 7: Matt Flynn, Packers (209); Alex Brink, Texans (223)

ROUND 5: Jeff Rowe, Bengals (151); Troy Smith, Ravens (174)

ROUND 6: Jordan Palmer, Redskins (205)

ROUND 7: Tyler Thigpen, Vikings (217)

ROUND 5: Ingle Martin, Packers (148); Omar Jacobs, Steelers (164)

ROUND 6: Bruce Gradkowski, Buccaneers (194)

ROUND 7: D.J. Shockley, Falcons (223)

ROUND 4: Kyle Orton, Bears (106); Stefan LeFors, Panthers (121)

ROUND 5: Dan Orlovsky, Lions (145); Adrian McPherson, Saints (152)

ROUND 6: Derek Anderson, Ravens (213)

ROUND 7: Matt Cassel, Patriots (230); Ryan Fitzpatrick, Rams (250)

*Re: Devlin I think people made the comparison to Flacco for obvious reasons; but Flacco has a hand cannon and that's why his stock sky rocketed especially after the combine when he had one of the strongest arms there.

Wow, Mel seems to be very bullish on the QBs.

Last year 4 QBs were taken in the 1st 3 rounds and this years group of top QBs (Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett) seem to be rated higher then last years group.

Although i don't agree, if Kiper is right that would have 5 QBs /6 if you include Dalton/7 if you include Kaep will be drafted in the 1st 3 rounds: Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett, Ponder, Dalton, Kaep.

Judging from last year's total of 10 that would 3 draftable QBs remaining from this group:

Stanzi, Ty Taylor, Devlin, Enderle, McElroy, J. Johnson, Potts, TJ Yates, Tolzien

BTW- Which QBs do you like?

Yeah, I can certainly see Ponder being gone in the 5th; Dalton has a better chance but the still slim.

I think our best best is gain a 3rd or 4th round pick or kick the tires on Matt Flynn.

what makes me pause some though is i recall there was a phase last draft with guys like Pike and Lefevour were touted at times as potential 3rd and 4th round picks, some even said 2nd rounders, but it didn't end that way. As for my take at this point I haven't really watched the Qb's much so am going based on what I read and some observation.

Locker -- every time I've watched him, some games, North/West practices he seemed erratic. I am not so sure I buy the supporting cast argument being his problem but am far from an expert on him. Obviously he can throw on the run and physically he's the prototype Shanny QB, so if Shanny drafts him I'll trust it. He clearly has all the tools and good leader too.

McElroy: I see ASF touts him as likely having a decent shot as becoming the big time QB in this group. He looked all right when I watched him. Physically he's not super fast or has a gun so its about accuracy. I notice though the NFL draft geeks aren't hyping him ala Bradford who was also super accurate. Seems like the hype is this dude can be a really good back up who could look decent as a starter in spot duty, John Friez, Jon Kitna type, or maybe Jeff Garcia but not as quick. Granted he could end up much better than that but what strikes me is we on the board aren't the only ones who know that Tom Brady was a 6th rounder and was underestimated. If he gets drafted in the first three rounds it would get my attention.

Dalton -- on paper seems perfect if we can get him in 3rd round (assuming we obtain a pick somehow) or heck maybe even the 2nd. He can be a WCO type who is accurate, has enough of an arm, has the intangibles it seems, and who can move.

Ponder -- injury history worried me but then again Bradford had his issues. Seems to read on paper similar to Dalton, with maybe a little less of an arm but perhaps a little more accurate, good leader too.

Stanzi -- of all the Qb's he impressed me the least in the North & South practices, just struck me erratic. but a good leader and i gather has potential.

Colin Kaepernick - to me the most intriguing of the bunch. Has Locker kind of talent, gun of an arm, and is fast. Looks like his mechnaics need to be fixed and release needs to be quickened. Seems like the prototype Shanny QB if he can get him up to speed.

Personally, I'd be happy if the QB prospect that they are into is a 2nd rounder or later. I am not sure about using the first rounder on Newton or Gabbert -- though it seems these days they are unlikely to be there at #10 anyway. If we can get a stud pass rusher like Quinn at #10 (which is more likely if both Gabbert and Newton go top 10) and then get the QB in the 2nd round, I'd be happy. Only thing is you got some teams picking ahead of us in the 2nd rounder who might skip QB in round 1 but might grab one in round 2 ahead of us.

what makes me pause some though is i recall there was a phase last draft with guys like Pike and Lefevour were touted at times as potential 3rd and 4th round picks, some even said 2nd rounders, but it didn't end that way. As for my take at this point I haven't really watched the Qb's much so am going based on what I read and some observation.

Yeah, but you gotta take there observations w/ a huge heaping table spoon of salt.

Some of the most vocal draft guys have the least veracity e.g. Walterfootball McGuire hated Colt McCoy said he was borderline un-draftable.

And here's Adam Caplan after last to 2010 SB:

http://profootball.scout.com/2/941995.html

Ratings Explanation

6=Elite

5=Long-time/solid NFL starter

4=Low-end starter

3=No. 2 quarterback

2=No. 3 quarterback

1=practice squad player

Note: All six quarterbacks were rated on a six-point grading system. 6 being the highest, 1 being the lowest.

The ratings are based purely on ability/talent/skill. Character, leadership, and non-football playing factors were not taken into consideration because those issues will be resolved by NFL teams as we get closer to the draft.

Tony Pike/Cincinnati/North

Arm Strength: 5.0

Comments: Pike has an ideal NFL arm. You can see how the ball comes out of his hands with power and torque. Because of the power in his passes, he was willing to take some chances.

Accuracy: 4.5

Comments: Like many quarterbacks with a strong arm, Pike tended to have a small problem with shorter passes that required touch. However, he was very good on intermediate or deeper passes.

Pocket Awareness/Movement: 4.5

Comments: He did a good job with his footwork. He also had precise movement on his five and seven-step drops.

Mechanics: 4.25

Comments: Pike has a high release point and he does a nice job of putting the ball back on his throwing motion. This helps him get more power into his passes.

Numerical Grade: 4.55

Comments: There's no question that Pike projects to be a starter down the road at the NFL level. He has what personnel evaluators want--size and arm strength.

Round Target: 2-3

Comments: Pike is what scouts look for in a quarterback. He's big and has a solid arm. Those traits will help get him selected early in the draft.

Jarrett Brown/West Virginia/South

Arm Strength: 4.75

Comments: He reminded me of former NFL QB Rohan Davey, but in a better sense. Brown has a strong arm and he's willing to throw the ball into tighter windows. NFL personnel evaluators love when a young quarterback is willing to make tough throws. The passing windows are tighter on the NFL level, so Brown probably won over some scouts this week.

Accuracy: 4.25

Comments: For the most part, Brown was pretty accurate this week. He was a bit inconsistent with shorter passes that required a bit more touch on the ball.

Pocket Awareness/Movement: 4.25

Comments: Brown did a good job of knowing where his receivers were most of the time.

Mechanics: 4.0

Comments: His footwork was good for the most part. Brown had a consistent release point, but was able to throw from different platforms when necessary.

Numerical Grade: 4.31

Comments: There was probably no quarterback that helped himself more this week in Mobile than Brown. He was very consistent from the outset of practices this week on Monday.

Round Target: 3-4

Comments: There's no question that Brown helped himself this week. He could go even higher if he has a strong NFL combine and pro day.

Sean Canfield/Oregon State/North

Arm Strength: 1.75

Comments: Canfield probably had the weakest arm of the the six quarterbacks in Mobile this week. He simply can't drive the ball at all down field.

Accuracy: 4.0

Comments: What stood out with Canfield was his accuracy. While he doesn't have a good arm, he still puts the ball where it needs to be on shorter to intermediate routes.

Pocket Awareness/Movement: 4

Comments: He did a decent job of evading the rush this week. He seemed to have a good sense of where his intended targets were on the field.

Mechanics: 3.25

Comments: Canfield's footwork wasn't great this week, but it was good enough for him to throw the ball from where he was on the field.

Numerical Grade: 3.25

Comments: His accuracy could help overcome his obvious lack of arm strength.

Round Target: 5-6

Comments: There's going to be a place in the NFL for a guy like Canfield. While he showed to have well less than an ideal arm, his accuracy was very good. That will help him gain notice on the final day of the draft.

Tim Tebow/Florida/South

Arm Strength: 2.5

Comments: It was quite evident from his first snap on Monday that Tebow had a below average NFL arm. Because his mechanics were off, that took power off his passes. He also needs to get more force into his throws.

Accuracy: 3.25

Comments: His accuracy was better later in the week. However, because of his poor mechanics, Tebow had problems hitting even open receivers at times. Every once in a while he threw the ball better down field, but he was still way too inconsistent in that area. What he did well was throw some fades passes with good touch.

Pocket Awareness/Movement: 4.50

Comments: Creating functional space to throw the ball wasn't a problem for Tebow at all. He seemed to have a decent understanding of where to go with the ball this week.

Mechanics: 1.25

Comments: Tebow's release point is a big problem. He's unable to get enough power into his throws because of where he releases the ball. He also tends to hold the ball too low and it takes him too long to get the ball out of his left hand. His footwork also needs to be more consistent.,

Numerical Grade: 2.88

Comments: Whichever team drafts Tebow will have a full understanding of what he is and what he isn't. He has a below average NFL arm, but moves very well in and outside the pocket. If he can get his mechanics straightened out, he'll have a chance to move up the draft chart at the next level.

Round Target: 5-6

Comments: Based on the obvious issue with his mechanics, Tebow is likely to drop to the third day of the draft. The only way he goes off the board higher is if a team thinks he can play another position.

I didn't believe the hype about Pike and Lefevour being mid round picks b/c I saw those guys play.

As much as people pretend that arm strength doesn't matter it does; and those dudes have spaghetti arms.

On the flip side I have to admit that I thought Jarrett Brown would get drafted b/c of his strong arm and clean throwing motion.

Locker -- every time I've watched him, some games, North/West practices he seemed erratic. I am not so sure I buy the supporting cast argument being his problem but am far from an expert on him. Obviously he can throw on the run and physically he's the prototype Shanny QB, so if Shanny drafts him I'll trust it. He clearly has all the tools and good leader too.

Locker is gonna be long, long gone by the 5th round but if you want to discuss him here I would love it:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?343283-A-Closer-Look-at-2011-QB-Prospects-Jake-Locker

But, I think you have to watch Locker play to get a true feel for him.

If people didn't 'know' about Locker going into the SB imo he would have been just another QB who did okay.

But for whatever reason Locker has become a polarizing figure (probably b/c of the hype surrounding him last year) and the scrutiny on him was almost as much as Tebow last year when people tried to swear that Tebow was terrible at the SB.

But, I digress....

McElroy.....If he gets drafted in the first three rounds it would get my attention.

If he gets drafted 1st 3 rounds I would have to reevaluate everything I understand about QBs and the draft.

Dalton -- on paper seems perfect if we can get him in 3rd round (assuming we obtain a pick somehow) or heck maybe even the 2nd. He can be a WCO type who is accurate, has enough of an arm, has the intangibles it seems, and who can move.

I think one of the QBs has to fall into the 4th round and Dalton might be that guy.

Ponder -- injury history worried me but then again Bradford had his issues. Seems to read on paper similar to Dalton, with maybe a little less of an arm but perhaps a little more accurate, good leader too.

I have to watch more to comment about Dalton vs Ponder accuracy at this point I would put them on the same level in both arm strength and accuracy.

Stanzi -- of all the Qb's he impressed me the least in the North & South practices, just struck me erratic. but a good leader and i gather has potential.

SB meant very little imo, and I actually thought Stanzi looked good there.

I like Stanzi.

Come from a pro-style offense has good size, decent arm and was a very efficient QB this year w/o having great talent around like Luck or McElroy.

Colin Kaepernick - to me the most intriguing of the bunch. Has Locker kind of talent, gun of an arm, and is fast. Looks like his mechnaics need to be fixed and release needs to be quickened. Seems like the prototype Shanny QB if he can get him up to speed.

Agreed. Dude is very raw, played in a pistol/spread offense is a great runner that has a very strong arm but a quirky throwing motion.

Yeah, but you gotta take there observations w/ a huge heaping table spoon of salt.

Some of the most vocal draft guys have the least veracity e.g. Walterfootball McGuire hated Colt McCoy said he was borderline un-draftable.

And here's Adam Caplan after last to 2010 SB:

http://profootball.scout.com/2/941995.html .

Trust me I take everything with a grain of salt. Scout after scout gets it wrong in terms of QBs coming out of the draft all the time. So yeah am not so presumptuous to think that I know better based on watching a game or two and reading draft web sites.

Locker is gonna be long, long gone by the 5th round but if you want to discuss him here I would love it:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?343283-A-Closer-Look-at-2011-QB-Prospects-Jake-Locker

But, I think you have to watch Locker play to get a true feel for him.

If people didn't 'know' about Locker going into the SB imo he would have been just another QB who did okay.

But for whatever reason Locker has become a polarizing figure (probably b/c of the hype surrounding him last year) and the scrutiny on him was almost as much as Tebow last year when people tried to swear that Tebow was terrible at the SB.

But, I digress....

Of course, I never said Locker is going in the 5th. Some of the Qb's I talked about are projected 2nd/3rd rounders. I included Locker because there is a fighting chance he will be there in the early 2nd. That might be a long shot too.

I think one of the QBs has to fall into the 4th round and Dalton might be that guy. I have to watch more to comment about Dalton vs Ponder accuracy at this point I would put them on the same level in both arm strength and accuracy. .

I wonder for the simple reason that so many teams need Qb's this year.

SB meant very little imo, and I actually thought Stanzi looked good there.

I like Stanzi.Come from a pro-style offense has good size, decent arm and was a very efficient QB this year w/o having great talent around like Luck or McElroy. .

Like I said, I trust Shanny here and if he likes Stanzi good enough for me. Stanzi played decently in the SB game, I agree. I didn't think he looked too hot in the practices i watched. But again, its a small sample. And am not pretending i am a Qb expert.

Archived