Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here we go again - FNN: Oddsmakers: Cowboys Among Super Bowl Favorites for 2011

HapHaszard

Who are you devouring and destroying

I had nothing but links in the other thread, and all you had was "Judge Judy and company dont count" la la la la

Oh, and you still are ignoring one drop's direct question for the last..what...11 hours?

must be a teacher work day since tex is here so early. i think its time we face facts. it isnt that tex wont see others opinions or chooses to be closed minded. hes just dumb. you know, occams razor and all.

well all wait patiently while you look that up tex.

The best part about this is that Tex thinks that the Cowboys being 7:1 would be some sort of compliment or positive thing. No. It's a direct slap in the face to Cowboys fans who are stupid enough to bet on their team despite getting terrible odds on it. Trust me Tex, we're super jealous that the Cowboys are 7:1 when they should realistically be at least 20:1. But you should bet now and clean up.

The best part about this is that Tex thinks that the Cowboys being 7:1 would be some sort of compliment or positive thing. No. It's a direct slap in the face to Cowboys fans who are stupid enough to bet on their team despite getting terrible odds on it. Trust me Tex, we're super jealous that the Cowboys are 7:1 when they should realistically be at least 20:1. But you should bet now and clean up.

No the best part is that you think that it is only Cowboys fans making the bets in Vegas..

serious gamblers including the rich and famous are making these kinds of bets as well

I'm sure you can back that up... regardless, that's not the point. The point is they're stupid to place a bet on the Cowboys at 7:1 when the Cowboys aren't that good. It doesn't matter how rich or famous they are, it's a terrible bet. And it's only 7:1 because these stupid people, regardless of who they are, are making the terrible bet.

serious gamblers including the rich and famous are making these kinds of bets as well

Ummm, Slappy. This is the opening line. That means that there has been no movement because of betting. Vegas just knows that they have to set lines based on historical betting of fanbases. They know a bunch of mouth-breathers in their Tony Romo sits to pee jerseys will make bets on the Cowboys this time of year and it's easy money for Vegas. No serious gambler is going to throw money down this time of year on a team unless the line is completely out of whack...wait for it...in the other direction. Smart money isn't going to touch Dallas with a ten foot pole at 7:1.

Stupid question (I am not a big gambler)

Is there a bigger payoff now if you were to go to Vegas and bet on team X to win the SB as opposed to going the week before or week of the game and bettin on a team?

Or is the payoff the same?

Almost certainly.. just from a simple standpoint there are only 2 teams that can win it a week before the game whereas right now there are 32 teams that could win SB 46. A team like Buffalo would probably payoff 100:1 if you bet them right now, but later in the season (if they somehow made the playoffs or something), they are therefore more likely to win the SB and thus the payout drops (if every team were completely equal, all teams that make the playoffs would pay 12:1 at that point)

Then again, tex would probably love to jump on a Cowboys line at 7:1 at that point. Because rich and famous people are doing it and all...

Lines do move as people bet. Ouvan's point makes the whole deal funnier because he pointed out that these are the opening lines that aren't influenced by any bets. Vegas simply knows that Cowboys fans are stupid enough to take a terrible bet and thus they can set the line to a lower payout.

Almost certainly.. just from a simple standpoint there are only 2 teams that can win it a week before the game whereas right now there are 32 teams that could win SB 46. A team like Buffalo would probably payoff 100:1 if you bet them right now, but later in the season (if they somehow made the playoffs or something), they are therefore more likely to win the SB and thus the payout drops (if every team were completely equal, all teams that make the playoffs would pay 12:1 at that point)

Then again, tex would probably love to jump on a Cowboys line at 7:1 at that point. Because rich and famous people are doing it and all...

Lines do move as people bet. Ouvan's point makes the whole deal funnier because he pointed out that these are the opening lines that aren't influenced by any bets. Vegas simply knows that Cowboys fans are stupid enough to take a terrible bet and thus they can set the line to a lower payout.

what Vegas knows is that as long as gambling is allowed to remain legal people will continue to make bets, making Vegas billions in just the booking agents alone

Stupid question (I am not a big gambler)

Is there a bigger payoff now if you were to go to Vegas and bet on team X to win the SB as opposed to going the week before or week of the game and bettin on a team?

Or is the payoff the same?

The odds will typically, for the most part, be better now than they will be during the season. The chances of there being a "bad" line are larger now than down the line. Teams that did poorly last year because of injuries to some key players might have a more attractive line. But for the most part I'm not a big fan of futures bets. For what you risk I just don't think the payoff is enough. Plus you have to wait so damn long for the payoff.

What does it matter who they are a fan of??? Vegas doesn't care neither do the bookies taking the bets, the payout for the one who get's it right

is gonna be small, while the boys in Vegas take in more money than you can count on one hand..so even when you win, You still lose

What does it matter who they are a fan of??? Vegas doesn't care neither do the bookies taking the bets, the payout for the one who get's it right

is gonna be small, while the boys in Vegas take in more money than you can count on one hand..so even when you win, You still lose

Wow, they take in more than $5? They must be a cash cow...

Archived